DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

My first Landrover Disco3’57. Need some questions answered
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Class—

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
My first Landrover Disco3’57. Need some questions answered

Hi Folks,
After hunting for a Toyota Prado or Amazon I finally got given the chance to have a cheap Disco3. My knowledge base is near zilch with these cars so it could be a fabulous experience or a nightmare Whistle Mr. Green

My first question is to do with the rock crawling mode. I tried “testing” it whilst simply being on a flat car park with some speed humps. I had it raised and in low ratio. Foot off the brake and started going. When I tried to brake it seemed like it was stalling with the the battery light flashing on the dashboard. Sticking it straight into Neutral and all was ok. I “tested” in other modes and couldn’t replicate it. Going back to the rock crawling mode it would do it again. So is this normal? Is this what is supposed to happen? As I say it’s my first Landrover and I have no clue. Reading the manual didn’t mention anything about it.

Next,
Is there a “trick” that would lead to no indicator relay noises? Ie. Did one of the previous owners remove the tick tock noise to “fix” something else or hide a fault? How do I go about getting my tick tocks back when I indicate? I do know that a relay was removed and bridges in the fuse box so he could have power on the 12v socket when the engine was off. You can see the brown wire bridging the relay socket in the photo. Would this be affecting anything other than the 12v sockets? The relay lying out is the one I found in the glove box but I’m not sure if it’s the correct one from there or just a random relay so I’m a bit apprehensive about just fitting it. The manual doesn’t say anything about the relay just fuses.

I don’t know if the broken front parking sensors would have anything to do with this.
I also have these faults...

L319 - Discovery 3 2008
Vehicle scanned on 02-02-2020 15:11
Using IIDTool BT V4.0 B2691

Body Control

B1B70-81 (28) Local interconnection network bus circuit 2 - Bus signal/message failure - invalid serial data received
( on 31-01-2020 18:36:39 at 95517 mi )
Instrument Pack

U0132-87 (2C) Lost communication with ride level control module - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message
U0159-87 (2E) Lost communication with parking assist control module - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message

Sending me in the direction to start solving these issues would be much appreciated.
Thanks for any input.

Post #21178892nd Feb 2020 8:08 pm
Sea Raider

I believe there is a speaker on the rear of the instrument cluster that supplies the sound for your indicators along with all the bins associated with faults

Post #21178912nd Feb 2020 8:14 pm
Sea Raider

Relay could be a old one, as when the air suspension compressor is replaced a new relay is usually fitted, so that may be the old one

Post #21178922nd Feb 2020 8:16 pm
Class—

Sea Raider wrote:
I believe there is a speaker on the rear of the instrument cluster that supplies the sound for your indicators along with all the bins associated with faults

Ah, so I need to pull my Speedo cluster out (I assume that’s the instrument cluster) and have a look at the speaker. In doing this there is a good chance that “camouflaged” faults will rear their ugly heads?

Re the relay:
I know the air suspension pump has been replaced last year. Where is the location of the relay that gets replaced and what is the relay? Does anyone know what relay I need to get to convert the “bridge fix” as I want my dashcam plugged in there but not to run my battery low if I leave the car for 2 days.

Thanks for the replies and any info

Post #21179052nd Feb 2020 8:45 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

In rock crawl mode did u see a green light with a car going down a hill symbol , As hill decent control is also activated

Enclosed a sheet for u showing each setting

When the terrain response is set to normal and select hill descent on its own which is the yellow button in the centre console u can adjust the speed to which u would go down a hill by the cruise control switches on ur steering wheel , via the plus and minus buttons

Hope that helps

Click image to enlarge

Post #21179092nd Feb 2020 8:48 pm
gstuart

Fuse and relay locations

https://knigaproavto.ru/shemy/en/land-rove...-2009.html

Ur cig lighter will only be powered when the ign is on, that mod provides permanent power only to the 3 x aux sockets

Can easily plug something in to each socket when the landy is turned off to verify which ones are live

Post #21179122nd Feb 2020 8:53 pm
gstuart

Instrument panel speaker replacement write up

https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...peaker.pdf

Last edited by gstuart on 3rd Feb 2020 12:03 am. Edited 4 times in total 
Post #21179142nd Feb 2020 9:03 pm
Sea Raider

Relay 7 in the engine compartment fuse box is the suspension relay

Post #21179162nd Feb 2020 9:04 pm
Class—

gstuart wrote:
Hi

In rock crawl mode did u see a green light with a car going down a hill symbol , As hill decent control is also activated

Enclosed a sheet for u showing each setting

When the terrain response is set to normal and select hill descent on its own which is the yellow button in the centre console u can adjust the speed to which u would go down a hill by the cruise control switches on ur steering wheel , via the plus and minus buttons

Hope that helps

Click image to enlarge

Hi gstu,
Yer the HDC green lamp came on and as I say I braked to try and stop and it just started shuddering like a manual car would when it starts to stall. The battery lamp would be flashing and then I’d pop it into Neutral as I didn’t want it to stall or do something bad to the gearbox. I tried low ratio and HDC whilst in normal mode and it didn’t try to stall as I braked to stop.
I did read my manual and like your print out, it doesn’t mention any of this.

Thanks

Post #21179272nd Feb 2020 9:53 pm
gstuart

Hiya

Gotcha, must admit haven’t seen that before

Think I would at least check all the oils in the diffs, transfer box etc and recheck any fault codes that may have come up

Also check the battery is ok as I know that can create all sort of errors , also seeing the light was flashing

Hopefully someone has send this fault before and can help further

Also hope the other links will be helpful

Last edited by gstuart on 2nd Feb 2020 11:10 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #21179372nd Feb 2020 10:49 pm
gstuart

Double post

Post #21179382nd Feb 2020 10:58 pm
Class—

gstuart wrote:
Fuse and relay locations

https://knigaproavto.ru/shemy/en/land-rove...-2009.html

Ur cig lighter will only be powered when the ign is on, that mod provides permanent power only to the 3 x aux sockets

Can easily plug something in to each socket when the landy is turned off to verify which ones are live

Yep, I’ve just stuck the dashcam in the cig lighter and it turns off with ignition so I’ve left it in that one instead of the 12v socket.
I am still confused about the relays. The diagram in my manual and the link you put up doesn’t mention anything about R1. How do relays work? As in I know the different fuses due to colour and number of amperage but I don’t know how to tell the diff between relays.

Thanks

Post #21179412nd Feb 2020 11:21 pm
Class—

Sea Raider wrote:
Relay 7 in the engine compartment fuse box is the suspension relay

Looking at my engine fuse box it looks like that’s a little newer than the rest.
Are all the black relays the same relays and can be swapped and all grey ones are the same and can be swapped?

Can anyone take a pick of their glovebox fuse box for me so I can see what relay they have?

Thanks

Post #21179422nd Feb 2020 11:30 pm
gstuart

Does this help Thumbs Up

https://fusesdiagram.com/land-rover/fuses-...ery-3.html

Relays should have a number on the back , or coloured strips , here’s a link to a parts company for comparison

https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/relays-11602-c.asp

Click image to enlarge

Post #21179432nd Feb 2020 11:36 pm
Class—

Ah thank you, well that proves the black relay is the one missing from the “bridged fix” as it has 40A written on it.

So that’s that one fixed, I will have to wait till tomorrow before I can fix the fix. I’m off to find out how to remove the instrument panel now.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Post #21179442nd Feb 2020 11:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >