DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

First service overdue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
richsdv6

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4
First service overdue

Hello all

New to this forum as about to purchase a D4 2014 HSE Lux from a main dealer. Come from a L322 RR AutoBio but love the new disco's.

Have just found out today that the first service which is being done is c3,500 over the service interval and 5 months late. I wondered if this would affect the 3yr manufactures warranty which has c18 months remains.

Have also enquired with LR Cust Services and await their response but any thoughts would be appreciated chaps.

Rich
[/img]

Post #147612819th May 2015 8:59 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Welcome.

I think that whatever the answer you get regarding the warranty this is an indication of lack of care.

Some of us consider that the LR service intervals are too long in any event - I change the oil & filers halfway between each service interval; and have halved the interval between changes of oil in the entire transmission.

I would search for another car with a better service history if you are intending to keep the car for more than a year or two.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #147624720th May 2015 6:57 am
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

It would certainly affect a privately owned car....missing a service interval invalidates your 3-year warranty unless it's done within a certain number of miles of the service being due.....

*warranty exclusions
Failure to properly maintain the vehicle in accordance with Land Rover's maintenance schedules and service instructions

I would agree with NJSS about lack of care,let's face it the "Service Due" light has been staring someone in the face for 5 months.....
You certainly need a concrete answer before even considering the car,and even if it wasn't invalidated,I'd be pushing for an extension to the warranty
Welcome to the forum Thumbs Up
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #147626620th May 2015 8:12 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Unless this is your dream D4 I would look for another. DPF equipped cars do contaminate their own oil with diesel and the metal particulates in the oil tend to be at their worst on the first fill.

I'm surprised the dealer didn't spot this as it is difficult to shift such a new motor with a poor service history.

Welcome to the forum!

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #147626920th May 2015 8:19 am
karlosbu

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

That's not just a bit over thats the best part of 25% over the mileage for its first service. There are plenty of cars of this age out there so I'd leave it and find a better cared for one. Perhaps a significant discount would get me interested again...to offset any future issues... Thumbs Up

Post #147627620th May 2015 9:14 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Quote:
Perhaps a significant discount would get me interested again

I would not be persuaded by the sort of discount likely to be offered.

The Land Rover Customer Promise says:-

http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co.uk/?g...tAodTCEAVg

Quote:
Your Approved vehicle from Land Rover is as pristine as you would expect.....

Put quite simply this vehicle, or at least its service history is NOT pristine - and this deficiency cannot be rectified.

Frankly I am surprised that a LR dealer even offered this car for retail sale - I believe that by so doing it brings LR & The Land Rover Customer Promise into disrepute.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #147628120th May 2015 9:25 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

They offer it for sale either coz they didn't notice, don't think the customer will notice or just don't care. Someone will buy it. I obviously don't hold the dealers in that high a regard. Whistle

If it was me I'd keep looking. If you've actually taken the trouble to check then it's not the car for you. Plenty fish in the sea. Thumbs Up

Post #147628620th May 2015 9:34 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I maybe in the minority, but depending on the condition of the car it wouldn't worry me too much, I would see it as a opportunity to haggle.

DPF's are a issue, but a low mileage locally driven car with several interrupted regenerations would be worse than a car which has been driven higher miles, but on the motorway. Land Rover can re-validate the warranty after a inspection, even if the service is late.

If it was a pre reg, then it might have been sitting for a while before going into service, so the time might not be from first use.

The service interval is a average calculation based on a average set of parameters, but with a safety tolerance.

Post #147630620th May 2015 10:35 am
DSL

Ukraine 

It would be the warranty risk that would kill it for me. It's not as common for D4s to blow engines cf D3s but it does happen. And then LRCS would be quite within their rights to say "no" to picking up a very big bill. Probably something that wouldn't happen but it's a risk vs consequences thing.

Post #147631020th May 2015 10:41 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

They couldn't refuse as it would have a warranty as a approved used

Post #147632420th May 2015 11:09 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Would depend on the small print. That may be invalid in this case. Plus not all cars sold by main dealers are LR approved, ISTR Ratstones do Ratstones Approved rather than LR Approved. Plus you'd seriously compromise any goodwill after the end of the 3 years. Plenty out there. Thumbs Up

Post #147632620th May 2015 11:17 am
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

My own fault I know, but buying an approved used vehicle I didn't think to look at the service history on mine.

It was only once I got home with it that I found the first service was late in terms of time and mileage (although not this bad) and the second service was carried out by some random garage.

I have had no problems so far with several warranty claims, but do worry if a big claim was ever needed.

As for this Discovery, being so late I would definitely find another.
 Andy

Post #147633220th May 2015 11:43 am
countrywide

When you buy an approved Land Rover they issue you a warranty validation certificate when you collect it (it is done online), this would also include the extension to 2 years, so balance of manufacturer plus the extension to make up the 2 years. Also includes breakdown and MOT validation.

The validation certificate means it meets the requirements to be eligible for the warranty and the warranty has been registered.

It shouldn't affect goodwill if you buy approved and use main dealer for servicing. It also won't effect extending it as they do a inspection if necessary before your current one runs out if you want to extend it further.

To me it would be condition and the overall deal to be honest.

One of my colleagues bought a Jag XF last week and that was a manager car, which had been taken out of use 5 months earlier and stored as it hit the mileage limit they are allowed. You can check the service history of newer cars on Topix with the VIN number.

Post #147633320th May 2015 11:45 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Pretty much what's been said already....

I looked long and hard for a decent 1 year old HSE myself recently. The last 2 FL2's that I've had were both year old, ex LR, cars. But, considering the huge cost of the D4 and the risks involved, like this potential warranty invalidation and the likelihood of serious neglect, it simply wasn't worth the small saving to be had over new - especially with the £3,000 finance contribution and the £699 for the first 5 year / 50,000 mile service package.
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #147635620th May 2015 12:57 pm
richsdv6

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

Chaps thank you all for the responses. I pulled out and left the dealer reeling and offering all sorts of things to get my business - free next service, mats etc etc

Anyway LR Cust Serv also came back saying 3 year warranty invalid in the event of a service history warranty claim ie engine failure.

On the positive side I put a deposit down last Friday on a Scotia Grey with Black 2014 Lux from Lookers - advertised as Corris Grey but when I went to view it it has been advertised wrong. scotia is my favourite colour and I love it!!😄😄

Pics to be posted in Gallery soon

Thanks again all

Rich
 Rich
Scotia Grey with Ebony
D4 HSE Lux 2014 

Post #147835725th May 2015 12:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >