Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Flat battery in just two hours
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Flat battery in just two hours

Yesterday I fitted a SmartNav system into the D3. While doing it, I had the radio on some of the time. This was on for only two hours maximum. I never kept the keys in the ignition at any time.
Yet this morning, when I went to start it up, I got a HDC error, then transmission error, then the engine wouldn't turn over. The battery was flat. My wife was out and no neighbours were in either. So I called LR Assist. While being put through to the right person, a friend pulled up in their Volvo XC90. I hooked up the jump leads (after having to get a socket set out to get to the battery which is in the boot under a metal shroud). Even then the D3 nearly didn't start. It took a few attempts to get it going.
It did though and I was able to get on my way. However, the red alarm light on the dash (below the rev counter) kept flashing for the whole journey. Does anyone know why that was? The car did unlock itself okay on what juice was left in the battery.
I was surprised the radio flattened the battery so quickly. The car is only six months old, so the battery should still be in top condition.
Just a warning to others.....
 Matt  
Post #10237616th Nov 2006 9:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NICKNICK

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Flat battery can cause all sorts of problems.....
Within a week of purchase our car was reluctant to start & we got all sorts of warning light combinations, as well as random faults like CD player not playing MP3 CD,s and memory seats forgetting etc etc. .

We called Land Rover assist who did some tests and said that battery was borderline and as such they could not replace it under warranty but said I should take to the dealer, who would more than likely (and did) replace it.

LR assist said that car was showing c 100 faults on their system all caused by the flat battery. To clear these dealer had no option but to reload the "enhancement".

A bit worrying that a flat battery requires a trip to the dealer to sort...

Been faultless since though.

Post #10239116th Nov 2006 9:43 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Matt, it depends upon a lot of things... the condition of the battery, ambient temperature (including overnight) and whether the interior lights were on are just a few - don't forget that when the radio is on, it also activates the CANbus, Nav system & PTI. did the radio switch off after an hour or so? and did you switch it back on?
The CCA of a D3 is around 650 - 700 Amps so a jump start will need a decent battery and jump leads, the accepted way to do it is to allow the donor vehicle to charge the flat(ish) batery for a minimum of 10 minutes before attempting a start, the alarm LED was probably o due to a volt drop during cranking causing a reboot of the CJB & alarm module.
Battery condition can be affected by repeated short journeys (less than seven miles with the engine revs above 1500) and ambient temperature below 15 degrees, a battery will have it's CCA reduced by approximately 15A per 1 degee celcius, coupled with a reduced charge, this may be enough to cause a fail to start - of course, each attempt will reduce the stored charge still further

Post #10239616th Nov 2006 9:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

nicknick, the battery could possibly have been recharged and I think that thye errors would have been recorded as transient or intermittent - and as such would not have affected the vehicles operation or performance. It's quicker for thedealer to replace the battery than keep your vehicle for 24-36 hours to properly recharge and test a battery that may well prove to be defective at the end of the procedure

Post #10239716th Nov 2006 9:55 pm
NICKNICK

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

TFC would the fault warnings & other random errors have cleared themselves in time then?

Post #10240316th Nov 2006 10:17 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for your knowledgeable replies TFC.

Yes, the radio was switching off, but it does this after about 20 mins or so. I'll be more careful next time.
Makes you wonder how 2007 models with the TV will cope. Watching TV with the engine off, while waiting for wife in the shops for an example, would be fairly common.
 Matt  
Post #10240416th Nov 2006 10:18 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Was speaking to a friend who is a Volvo mechanic just yesterday, he was saying they had a guy with an XC90 who kept complaing of a faulty battery.
When it was in the workshop all tests showed up fine.
After quizzing the owner it turned out that every Sunday he washed the car, to save the 'sensitive' alarm from going off he would turn the ignition to position 1 while he washed.
Apparently an XC90 with flatten its battery after 20 minutes in this state due to all the systems that are 'awake'.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #10240516th Nov 2006 10:26 pm
DiscoStu

England 

My LR DVD is supposed to switch off 10 mins? after engine off, but it doesn't. Guess I'd better keep an eye on it.
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #10240616th Nov 2006 10:27 pm
lr1

United Kingdom 

My radio manged to freeze which meant the LCD and some of the surrounding switches stayed illuminated, over the weekend the battery flattened, Monday morning it would not start.

It seems it does not take much to flatten the battery.

LR recharged the battery fixed the locked radio and all is well at present.

Post #10240716th Nov 2006 10:28 pm
10forcash

nicknick, transient errors will clear on restart - but still store the DTC, hard errors will not clear without dealer intervention. Battery voltage issues generally only cause transient errors so therefore they should clear oce the system voltage has raised and / or a restart has been carried out, of course, persistent transient errors can indicate a discharged or defective battery - or poor connections to the battery
Matt, as long as the battery is in good condition, TV should't be a problem, the scenario you describe would indicate that a) the engine as recently been run and therefore some charge has been put back into the battery. b) the CCA of a warm engine is significantly lower than that of a cold one, additionally, a recently charged battery will have a high 'surface charge' providing power for the TV / audio sytem leaving the core or deep charge for starting the vehicle.
That said, I am concerned that LR expect the standard battery to perform start and accessory suppy functions under less than optimum conditions - most vehicles (not just LR) have a permanently discharged battery due to typical UK usage, a secondary battery for accessory supply would / should be a standard fitment IMO

Post #10241116th Nov 2006 10:31 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I agree TFC, our Mini needed a jump start today, its only done short runs for the past week, and todays shuffle to make way for the builders vans was too much.

My D3 has had a flat battery after leaving the ignition on 1 for an hour whilst kids watched a dvd.

Post #10249517th Nov 2006 12:46 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I still think it rather strange that the D2 had a 110 amp hour battery and the D3 has 90ah Confused With all the additional electrickery and that
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #10249817th Nov 2006 12:55 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >