Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Former PM Arrested for corruption !!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4
Former PM Arrested for corruption !!!

Just heard this on the telly ... gutted it was Imran Khan in Islamabad and not anyone closer to home.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #23359409th May 2023 12:07 pm
defector

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

There will be hundreds of thousands on the streets as word spreads, and no they won't be celebrating unlike if it was Boris over here. Laughing

Post #23359509th May 2023 12:55 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

If it was here, they'd all be getting arrested for being on the streets with placards. That's a big naughty no-no since last week. One more right quietly removed from the great unwashed masses.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #23359599th May 2023 1:23 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

^ So much for the greater sense of democracy that we are all supposed to have since 2016. Wink Whistle
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #23359619th May 2023 1:28 pm
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

RRSTDV8 wrote:
If it was here, they'd all be getting arrested for being on the streets with placards. That's a big naughty no-no since last week. One more right quietly removed from the great unwashed masses.

Everyone should have the right to protest. However, that right shouldn't extend to the unnecessarily-disruptive and selfish behaviours seen recently. The new legislation is crass and ill though through. That said, when various activists have been telling everyone for months that they intended to throw fireworks and rape alarms under the horses, they should have expected intervention. If the Met hadn't acted and lots of people were injured by bolting horses, there would have been Hell. Any unnecessary distractions could have led to eyes being taken off balls when it came to [the very conceivable] terrorist activities.

Members of the Burma Star Association had a heck of a lot more to gripe about but when Hirohito came here on a state visit they lined the roads and turned their backs as he passed - that is how to protest with dignity. I saw an interview with David Davies who said that years ago opinions would follow a vaguely normal distribution with its mean in the centre; now there are two 'peaks' either side and nothing in the middle. This country (the world?) is the most intolerant and polarised that I can remember. Various groups who are completely unwilling to accept the fact that other people have opinions different to theirs, let alone that those different opinions might have merit or be worth discussing. Only one view is The One True View and must prevail at the cost of all others. Some activities go beyond the realms of zealotry and into fundamentalist territory. The scary thing is that many of the fundamentalist protesters have been through university and seem unable to think or calmly debate. Anyone want to place a bet on book-burnings in 2023?

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #23359719th May 2023 2:48 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Oh, I agree that people wanting to do things like scare horses in to crowds (whether intended or foreseeable unintended consequences) should be prevented from doing such things. But standing around chanting "not my king" is not something that should result in one being arrested. Simple corralling of the protesters should have been enough of a response, albeit resource intensive.

It does feel like the legislation was pushed through quickly so that the restrictive actions that took place could do so. A political move which, on the face of it, is reasonable - don't want the coronation being disrupted on the world stage after all. But behind it, is the very real risk that these powers will be used to prevent all sorts of reasonable protests. That's the worry.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #23359739th May 2023 3:22 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

When an arrested person is basically implying the police couldn't prove they were going to be naughty so therefore said arrest was 'wrong' is when it has all turned to Censored for me.

I was more than happy the police arrested 'potential' disruptors at the coronation, the consequences of them getting it wrong and tie-on's or, as previously said, rape alarms being thrown around and the consequences of that and then the "well you knew it was likely to happen, why didn't you do anything about it" experts far outweighs the 'rights' for such a worldwide public event of such importance (not debating the truths or rights of that statement) of those potentially out to disrupt in any manner, legal or otherwise.

Post #23359819th May 2023 5:20 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Quote:
implying the police couldn't prove they were going to be naughty

A central tenet of English Law is "innocent until proven guilty". The protesters had spent a lot of time communicating with the police about their intentions and the police were happy for them to protest. But then as the protesters were arriving they were arrested. That smacks of someone somewhere else deciding on their fate and is somewhat at odds with the long held position that we have the right to peaceful protest.

It's not a huge leap to go from that to the police arresting you for planning to peacefully protest outside a Council meeting because you don't want a wind farm nearby (or whatever minor protest you wish to action).

To be fair to the police, they were in a classic no-win situation. Damned if they did, damned if they didn't.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #23359829th May 2023 5:28 pm
astonbuilder

but the one I heard on the radio was like one of those cocky kids you see on 'police' TV programmes, taunting, being a smarts ar Censored. If the police do believe that a crime is going to be committed and with such a provocation then they are right to avert a crime they believe may happen. I support that view and believe that is what happened at the weekend. I'm not asking anybody to agree with me.

Post #23359839th May 2023 5:39 pm
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Dont worry I support your view. Thumbs Up

Post #23359849th May 2023 5:44 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Exactly, I’m quick to criticise the Met, but in this case they were damned if they did and damned if they didn’t.

Had I been there and I’d seen someone deliberately trying to frighten horses I might well have taken the law into my own hands and such a confrontation is one of the things that the Police were trying to avoid.

Taken out of context, it’s very worrying and I’m concerned it will set a precedent, but in the context of the Coronation procession I think it was the correct course of action.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #23359859th May 2023 6:00 pm
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

RRSTDV8 wrote:
It's not a huge leap to go from that to the police arresting you for planning to peacefully protest outside a Council meeting because you don't want a wind farm nearby (or whatever minor protest you wish to action).

Or praying.

Removal of the absolute right to silence was, as was predicted at the time, the start of a slippery slope.

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #23359949th May 2023 6:36 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

As with all of these situations, there are nuances that affect the outcome. If someone deliberately breaches a PSPO then they know what they're getting themselves in to. If someone who is considering a protest engages with the police in order to ensure they have a legal protest then that is something else.

If the police had intelligence that particular individuals intended to commit an offense then nipping that in the bud is the correct course of action. If they nick everyone "just in case" then that isn't ok. That's the approach that is taken in totalitarian regimes - those same regimes that we in the UK decry at various times.

As it happened, there was still a protest by the "not my king" brigade so presumably those people weren't considered a threat or were in a geographical location that prevented them directly causing harm. So the police "done good" there.

As for that woman, if praying can prevent people from using abortion clinics then it will work whether she's at home, in her church, or on the street. The fact that she's on the street in that location is an attempt to change the minds of people. Which begs the question - why do you need to do that if praying is the important part? Can't your deity of choice work without you being there? Christopher Hitchens would doubtless have been able to put it more eloquently.

I don't envy the police in this, that's for sure.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #23360189th May 2023 8:45 pm
astonbuilder

Take it to the nth degree and that Guy Fawkes fella, why was he arrested. He even only confessed ‘under duress’ Wink

Post #233624011th May 2023 8:29 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Take it to the nth degree and you're guilty. Wink
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #233624111th May 2023 8:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >