DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Free parts cost - rant & advice request
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
nebc100

Luxembourg 
Free parts cost - rant & advice request

hello all,

I would like your opinion on something that happened to me a few days ago, and i am not sure how to respond.

Story begins with the fact that many years ago now, i had a Discovery 2 td5. Great car btw!!

When i sold it, i still had the Thule roof-bars and gutter feet for it. They were in perfect condition, and so i didnt really want to throw them away.

After more then 2 years trying to sell them, i decided to give them away to anyone interested if they pay the shipping.

Someone (wont give the name) contacted me, and we arranged that I would ship them. Shipping price was accepted by interested party.

They sent me the shipping address, and i shipped the parts.

I provided tracking number, where upon the interested party told me he had given the wrong house number.

Sadly, i couldnt change the shipping address so the person said they would arrange with DHL to collect the parcel.

Now... 3 months later, I have received a letter from dhl charging me €10 to get them back because they were never collected.

So... i am now €100 out of pocket for the shipping, and will then have to pay another €10 to get them back.

The person has not paid me thr shipping, so I contacted them to ask what they would like to do. No mention about the shipping costs, all they want to do is complain to DHL.

So... they have cost me money, and am now no longer have the parts either!!!!

How should I react?

Should I name and shame the person?

What are your thoughts?

Post #216181818th Jul 2020 7:59 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Name them so others aren’t stuffed like you were.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #216183418th Jul 2020 9:33 am
Discoveringcomfort

England 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Allthough you say you don't have the parts either, you say it will only cost £10 to get them?

We sent a friend something they asked us to buy for them, they put the wrong house number on the address and complained they had not recived them. We told the friend to contact the delivery company but the items were never collected from the depot. By the time we had investigated it the items were lost and the friend refused to pay for the items they did not get!

Sometimes you just put it down to a learning curve and re-think your idea of friends.
 Series 1 V8
Series 2 Hibrid V8
Discovery 3 HSE V8 

Post #216188118th Jul 2020 1:26 pm
gareth71

Wales 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hindsight is always perfect - but I'd say your first mistake here was posting the parts out before you'd received the funds to cover the postage. Having been bitten in the past by a buyer passing me a bad cheque, any time I'm selling anything (no matter how low the value) nothing leaves my possession until I've been paid in full (i.e. money cleared into my bank).

Post #216189218th Jul 2020 2:17 pm
Kelvo

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Free parts cost - rant & advice request

nebc100 wrote:

Should I name and shame the person?

What are your thoughts?

Name and shame them.
 MY14 TDV6  
Post #216190318th Jul 2020 3:28 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Many moons ago when I was younger I was always amazed by older people throwing (what I thought of as) decent stuff out, as I have now aged and been bitten like yourselves more than once, I now understand why throwing the items out is the easiest option!

Post #216191818th Jul 2020 4:37 pm
nebc100

Luxembourg 

Thanks for your comments.

Let me make one thing clear... it was not (that i know I know of) a member of THIS forum.

It was someone on the d2bc for that i was an active member of when I had a d2.

I think what I will do is to post this same question on that site again without mentioning the name, and see what response I get.

At least I am not wrong in my surprise regarding their reaction!!

Post #216197018th Jul 2020 7:46 pm
MikeBob

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

It’s pretty crap of the person to do this to you. Next time you know to get the shipping costs upfront

Post #216204219th Jul 2020 10:15 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Quote:
So... i am now €100 out of pocket for the shipping, and will then have to pay another €10 to get them back.

pay it and least you'd have them to sell. They generally go for £50 - £70 on here but shipping to UK is clearly not sensible.

if no time limit on getting them back, advertise on here and get DHL to send to the buyer direct ?

edit: just read it's "gutter feet" fitments you have .... the D3/4 adapters go for ~£25 on here so knock that off the price ? at least you'd get some of your money back.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #216227120th Jul 2020 2:16 pm
nebc100

Luxembourg 

Just a small update.

The person has basically refusing to pay.

I have been in touch with him, and he is not saying that I have to provide proof of the condition of the roof bars before he will pay.

He is also saying that he will go to the police and report me.

Charming person.

I am very tempted to post the whole email conversation on here so that you can all see it (just taking out the addresses, and names for privacy reasons).

Would that be against the rules of this forum?

Post #216485231st Jul 2020 2:17 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

He is bascially threatening you and hoping to scare you off, which means keep on pressing his buttons!
Lets be honest the police have better things to deal with.

Post #216486731st Jul 2020 3:22 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Unfortunately there are people who do this kind of thing that spoil it for everyone else Evil or Very Mad
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #216487031st Jul 2020 3:26 pm
nebc100

Luxembourg 

I know that the police have better things to do. Also... if he shows the police that he agreed to pay the shipping, so told how much the shipping would cost, and accepted, then admitted LATER that he had made a mistake in the address, I am 99.99% sure that the police would say that he is responsible for the costs as the mistake was at his end.

He is currently trying to pass the blame on to me, and on to DHL saying that they should have walked next door and tried to deliver the parcel to the next house, as that would have been him anyway.

For me, he is just being unpleasant.

I just HOPE that he doesn't buy a D3 and come to spoil this forum!!

Post #216487331st Jul 2020 3:32 pm
nebc100

Luxembourg 

For any of you that are interested, here is the full transcript of the mails that the person has sent.

Please note that I have removed their address and their name:

I don't think it's amusing to be threatened or defamed online . Good to know you think it is laughing matter.

Of course I have paid as soon as you issued threats, you can join the dots, and see how much of your time is wasted going forward

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 at 15:56, Nicholas <Nicholas> wrote:
I am certainly not upset. As I said, go to the police. It would make me amuses to know you wasted so much effort.
DHL do not provide proof that they attempted to deliver. They leave a message in the letterbox, and they did try to deliver to THE ADDRESS ON THE PACKAGE.
As I have said... anything more is done "at their discretion". It is not part of their service, and while I agree that they SHOULD have done it, we cannot complain if they didn't.
As they have already told me on the phone... they tried to deliver it, and the parcel was not accepted.
Consequently, I cannot give you something I cannot get.
So... get to the chase... are you going to pay or not. I have wasted enough time writing back to you.
Get Outlook for Android

Sent: Friday, July 31, 2020 4:35:33 PM
To: Nicholas <Nicholas>
Subject: Re: d2bc roof bars

If you threaten people don't get upset if they speak to the police about it, fairly straightforward.

By collection proof I mean DHL can't provide any to you, as at no time did they contact me about redelivery or any option for collection therefore they are at fault, what happens if someone is out at work? The DHL approach is to ignore all contact then send back the seller, brilliant service.....

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 at 15:26, Nicholas <Nicholas> wrote:
And on another track... you complain that I "threaten further action", but you are doing the same when you say that you will go to the police. That is worse than making comments on a forum site.
Sent: 31 July 2020 16:11:07
To: Nicholas

That's not what I've said at all, I have said I am happy to pay for the bars if I am at fault, and you have ignored my request to ask DHL about redelivery or collection proof, which would show I am not at fault, and that your claim should be with DHL.

No one enjoys talking to the police, I have suggested a way forward with us both formally complaining to DHL, you ignored that and your reaction has been to publicly post and damage me with the mods on D2BC (and potentially other members), and also threaten 'further action', I would look to your own reaction to a dispute before you worry about others pride or sleep patterns.

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 at 14:46, Nicholas <Nicholas> wrote:
OK... so you are saying that even though you have a receipt for the payment that I made, and you were happy for me to send them without photos, you are now not going to pay for the costs.

That is also really nice.

Please make sure that you tell the police that!!

OK... my loss.

I hope you are proud of yourself, and that you can sleep well.

Enjoy talking to the police.
Sent: 31 July 2020 15:39:35

Another threat then, only to post a correction of your statements when paid, kind indeed.

It's not a waste of time contacting the police in my view, threats to name and shame publicly, inflated claims of postage costs, no photos of goods, goods not received, threats to 'take things further' not very pleasant is it, and details of this episode may well help prevent demands money for goods not received in the future.

I'm glad you have an email archive, but I'm not sure how that helps? I have your emails here to pass on already thanks.

I note you have not accepted DHLs fault in all of this, or confirmed you will be contacted them with the question I suggested

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 at 14:27, Nicholas <Nicholas> wrote:
I will post on the D2BC forum when I have the payment that I am due.

And please feel free to contact the police. Again... you have nothing to loose other than your time.

All my communications with you are documented, and go to my e-mail archiving system, so I can provide all the proof that what I have written is correct.

So... you already have the receipt for the payment that I made for the shipping.

I will willingly make a comment on the forum that everything has been resolved, but I will ONLY do this when I have received the payment that you promised to cover for the shipping.

Again... ball is in your court.
Sent: 31 July 2020 15:15:45

Nicholas

I'm not disputing I made a mistake with the address and have said that I am happy to pay for the bars if I am at fault, but hopefully we can agree that it should've been easy to rearrange the address and delivery, it was not, that is no ones fault but DHLs, as I have mentioned I made a lot of effort to get hold of the bars, if I had been told of them sat in a depot of course I would have collected them, at the time you told me they were back in Germany it was a total surprise as I was still waiting for a re-delivery. Also in the UK it is normal for a driver to try and leave with a neighbour, they didn't even do that. How am I at fault in any of the follow up, it should be easy to get hold of any missed or miss-addressed parcel, with DHL seemingly impossible?

I'm glad you've reduced the Corona inflation, but you don't make it clear in your post on D2BC you are costing your driving time, most readers with assume you have lost 100euros, please post a correction, and also that you now know I have made repeated efforts to get the bars from DHL, and the awful service received.

I think proof of what you posted is fair to ask for in the circumstances of a dispute, a receipt is just that, I trusted you the bars were as described and in good condition, but given the tone of your emails and forum heroics I would prefer any evidence you have please.

When you next to speak to DHL (and as their customer) I would ask that you tell them you want proof of them contacting me to let me know the bars could be collected and from where, they and I know they didn't do that, and that re-delivery didn't happen and collection info was never provided, hence the crux of my complaint to them, also that the driver didn't take even ten steps next door to leave with a neighbour, which would've been me anyway.

I'm afraid I'll be the judge of whether I feel misrepresented on the forum, and whether your threat via email was insinuated or real, I take both that and your forum heroics very seriously and will be contacting the forum moderators and our non-emergency police line.

I dip into the forum for a quick read but hadn't seen your new thread or pm until today, you can ask the moderators when I first read it if you are that sceptical.

Kind Regards

Person1 n

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 at 13:38, Nicholas <Nicholas> wrote:
Firstly... it was you that sent me the wrong address rather then me sending them to the wrong address. This means that all the effort that you went to with DHL was actually caused by your mistake and I am not responsible for that.

Secondly... I said approximately €100 out of pocket because it was €60 shipping (You already HAVE a copy of the invoice for shipping. It actually came to €61.somthing. I attached it to the e-mail when I gave your the shipping/tracking number) + the value of the bars + the fact that I had to drive approximately 30 minutes (each way) to take them to the post office. I was not asking for you to cover any of that. I didn't mind in the slightest because I was happy that someone would make use of the bars rather than me simply throw them away.

With regards to photos of the bars... how do you expect me to take photos of something that I don't have in my possession? Since the items were only used a grand total of 4 times, there is no reason that the would not have been in near perfect condition.

I have phoned DHL Germany, but their answer is that the recipient didn't come to collect the item. I don't know how it works in the UK, but here DHL attempt delivery twice, and after that you have to go to their depot to collect the item.

I have not "misrepresented" you on the forum as I have intentionally kept ALL names out of the thread. I was asked by several people (in PM) to give them the name, and I have NOT done it.

Threatening you... I have not threatened you... I have simply said that I hope that I don't have to take this further. I did not say what that was!!

Lastly... regarding your "invoice". Feel free to invoice me for you "time". You have nothing to lose other than your own time. As I said earlier... I was not the one that made the initial mistake. You sent me the shipping address, and I shipped to the address that YOU gave me. YOU then admitted that you had typed the wrong house number. If you had not made this mistake, you would have received the bars, would have been happy, and would have paid for them.

The ball is now in your court, but I have learned my lesson that I will never try to be kind on the the forum again!!

awaiting your response.

Nicholas

P.S. Before sending these messages, I had checked that you had been online multiple times on the forum.
Sent: 31 July 2020 14:18

Yes of course Nicholas I am more than happy to pay for the roof bars that I don't have if you think that I am at fault and not DHL, I assume you are also threatening them?

I have wasted a lot of time on the phone with DHL, their online system and also emailed numerous times, chasing for updates and re-delivery. DHL never attempted re-delivery, they never gave me the option to collect or details of how to, and have ignored my last two contact attempts with them, not once despite having my details have they pro actively tried to contact me to resolve this, their online system showed me as awaiting a re-delivery and then they have just defaulted to returning to you, by a long way the worst delivery company I have ever had any dealings with.
Please note I don't agreed to extra return costs, if your choice of courier decides not to attempt re-delivery, ignores my repeated contacts with them and then charges you for automatic return to sender I am at not at fault for that, that is down to your choice of exceptionally poor courier.
Please forward your receipt for 60 euros initial postage, photos of the bars and proof of postage in use-able condition.

I don't use or read the forum frequently to have seen your post, but I'm surprised you think it acceptable to misrepresent me on there, and mention you are now 100 euros out of pocket, corona inflation I assume? I'll have to add up the time I have wasted dealing with your courier and get my invoice over to you. You have always had my contact details here if needed, I can send you copies of my repeated attempts to arrange re-delivery with DHL which you accuse me of not trying if you'd like some exciting reading, I also tried changing delivery address which their system accepted but then obviously did nothing with, and I assume you have also made a complaint to DHL, may I have a copy?

Kind Regards
Person1

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 at 12:33, Nicholas <Nicholas> wrote:
Hello Person1,

I am contacting you regarding the roof bars.

I have tried to make "hints", but so far have not had any response from your side.

As you know... I shipped the roof-bars free of charge to you under the understanding that you would pay the shipping costs.

I checked the shipping costs with you, and you accepted.

I shipped them to the address that you sent me. Sadly, you made a mistake with the house number. This was not my fault. I did not ship to the wrong address.

You then told me that you were organising with DHL to get them.

I then heard nothing at all until DHL send me a letter informing me that I have to pay €10 to recover them from the post office in Germany (where I am not able to go due to the Covid Situation).

So far, I have have written to you by e-mail asking how you wanted to proceed, and didn't get any mention of payment for shipping.

I have posted on here (without giving any names or details), but still get no response.

So... I am now going to say it straight out, and clear.

You owe me the shipping costs of €60 that you agreed to pay.

Could you please send the payment to my paypal account: Nicholas

I hope that I don't have to take this matter any further.

Awaiting your response.

Nicholas

Sent: 16 July 2020 16:41:55

they never gave me an option to collect or collection information despite filling in their contact form numerous times or I would've done

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020, 15:39 Nicholas, <Nicholas> wrote:
They have just told me that they were waiting for you to collect them for 1 month, and you never came, so they returned them to sender.

I am not going to pay anything to get them back. They will just be abandoned at the post-office.

Oh well…. Your loss.

Sent: 16 July 2020 16:32

I think we should both make a formal complaint to dhl, why have they ignored me?why have they not redelivered or informed me? They have my contact details, why send back to you? Its absurd

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020, 15:27 Nicholas, <Nicholas> wrote:
OK…. So what do you want to do?

Sent: 16 July 2020 16:25

The last I heard they they would be redelivered, but dhl ignored my last two messages asking where they were, terrible customer service, the amount of chasing I have done and then to return and charge for it, ridiculous

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020, 15:13 Nicholas, <Nicholas> wrote:
Hello Person1,

Sorry to disturb you, but I have just received a letter from the post-office telling me that the roof-bars have been sent back to me, and that I now have to pay €10 return shipping.

What happened?

Please could you call me on +352 123456789

Best regards.

Nicholas

Sent: 16 April 2020 22:37

Hi Person1, I can see my colleague has rearranged delivery under your new shipment number which is 975138919. The depot have pulled your shipment out of the holding bay ready for delivery. Due to the Coronavirus crisis the depot have a higher volume of freight and are experiencing a higher volume of deliveries and enquiries than normal, coupled with staff shortages due to self isolation and sickness. The depot have assured me your shipment will be delivered as soon as possible. Apologies for any inconvenience caused. Thanks, Ceri.

Just had the above from DHl so the saga continues, fingers crossed some bars to fit soon!
Hope you're well
Person1

On Tue, 7 Apr 2020 at 15:23, Person1 m <Person1> wrote:
Hi Nick,
I got a redelivery code from dhl last week but then no communication and no tracking info matching it, I've just sent round a message to the neighbours again to see if anyone has taken the bars, and emailed dhl again to ask what is happening but no answer yet.
Hope you're keeping well and able to get out on occasion, still fairly busy with the highway work I do here but certainly much lower workload
Person1

On Tue, 7 Apr 2020 at 08:11, Nicholas <Nicholas> wrote:
Is there any news? Did they arrive in the end?
Sent from Outlook Mobile

Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2020 10:19:29 PM

Hi Nick,
I've spoken to no.82a and they will accept delivery but previously had received the bars but turned them away. I've emailed DHL to request a re delivery as the online form is defaulting to a date of 1st January (in the past) and will not allow completion of the re delivery request .

Hope all is well with you, strange times here at the moment

Person1

On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 at 21:12, Nicholas <Nicholas> wrote:
Hello Person1,

Have you got this sorted out yet?

Thanks for any info.

Nick

Sent: 10 March 2020 09:54

Thanks for trying Nick, I've asked the neighbour and also ticked the 'get a re-delivery to neighbour' option from DHL, which is actually to myself.

On Tue, 10 Mar 2020 at 08:37, Nicholas <Nicholas> wrote:
The only thing that I can suggest would be to explain to the person at 82 XXX lane, and ask if they would accept delivery.

Sorry, there isn't anything more that I can do from my side.
Sent: 10 March 2020 09:25:49

Hi Nick,
Apologies first but I typed 82 instead of my correct address of 84 XXX lane, no idea why, other then in idiot mode, but it used to be called 82b until a few years back and I just had a brain fade. DHL say they can't deliver even though I have told them of my mistake, and they will only deliver if the sender gives correct details. My neighbour at 82 must have met the driver and decided not to be helpful and sign for me, no Christmas card for them. Sorry for the extra hassle, would you mind emailing DHL to explain and ask them to deliver to 84 XXX Lane XXX XXX
thanks
Person1

On Sun, 1 Mar 2020 at 10:46, Person1 m <Person1> wrote:
Hi Nick, Thanks very much for sending them on their way, my neighbour will sing for them as I;m working away but yes will get a photo of them on the d2, be handy for the kayak.
Thanks again
Person1

On Sat, 29 Feb 2020 at 11:06, Nicholas <Nicholas> wrote:
Hello Person1,

The roof bars and mounts are on their way.

I shipped them through DHL Germany because the Post in Luxembourg won’t accept anything longer than 1.5m.

The tracking number is:
CY252828597DE

https://www.dhl.de/en/privatkunden/pakete-...;cid=dhlde

In attachment you can find the proof of payment for the shipment.

I would appreciate if you could transfer the money to my paypal account (if you have paypal): Nicholas

I don’t mind waiting until it has arrived before you pay. That way you can make sure that everything is OK.

I only have one request…. Please send me a photo of your D2 with the roof bars on it!!

Best regards.

Nick

Sent: 25 February 2020 22:55

Yes fine by me, thanks for looking into it

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 at 21:51, Nicholas <Nicholas> wrote:
Hello again,

I have just checked, and it looks as though the shipping to the UK is limited to items that are 1.5m long.

To send them, I have to pay for an “oversized” item. I can get the bars shipped to you, but the shipping might be €60.

Are you OK with this? I will of course send you a proof of payment to show that I am not trying to make a profit from you, and if I can manage to ship them cheaper, I will of course do so.

Is this OK?

Nick

Sent: 25 February 2020 22:35

Great, thanks
I'm at 82 XXX lane, XXX XXX, XXXX WD4 XXX

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 at 21:30, Nicholas <Nicholas> wrote:
Yes... they clamp on to the gutters.
Get Outlook for Android

Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 10:19:35 PM

Yes of course, forgot to ask are they the ones that clamp onto the roof gutters? I have the newer fatter half bars so most cross rail types don't fit

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 at 21:10, Nicholas <Nicholas> wrote:
Hello,
Yes... roof bars still here. If you send me your address, i will get them shipped to you.
If you could then refund me the shippingx that is all I ask.
Get Outlook for Android

Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2020 10:05:47 PM
Subject: d2bc roof bars

Hi Nick,
The roof bars would be very handy of you still have them? I'm XXXX on d2bc
Thanks
Person1

Last edited by nebc100 on 31st Jul 2020 7:40 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #216489831st Jul 2020 5:19 pm
nebc100

Luxembourg 

To close this topic.... the person has finally paid, but what a fuss!!

Post #216490031st Jul 2020 5:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >