Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

friggin brakes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
al cope

England 
friggin brakes

This D4 and its brakes are doing my head in................

When I got it last Sept, the braking felt odd. The main thing was that it felt like the brakes were pulsing as you came to a stop (similar to pushing and not pushing the brake pedal).

It looked like the front discs had been replaced not long before I had it, given very little wear showing on them, but I dropped a new set of front pads and discs on. Pulsing seemed to have stopped, but I gained myself a different problem after a couple of thousand miles, that of steering shake under gentle high speed braking - OK, this was my fault for not fitting OEM discs, so one new set of OEM discs and some more new pads, and brake shake cured, but, the pulsing bit is still there, and yesterday, after some vigorous high speed braking, I'm getting a rumbling sort of vibration when braking, which goes as soon as I lift off the brake pedal - no steering shake though.

Calipers and slides all seemed free when I replaced the discs and pads.

ideas?

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #127443724th Apr 2014 5:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GLYNNE

England 

I suffered the same as you with my brand new landmark. It was on my 3rd set of discs and pads at 10000 miles one year old when I finally got rid of the car. The dealership were adamant that this was caused by my wheel and tyre choice of stormers and LTZ's. I wasn't as convinced as them as the first set of warped discs went when I had the set of wheels and tyres that came with the car.
It was all very annoying at the time epically when the dealer said they are not fitting any more discs to the car under warranty.

Post #127444824th Apr 2014 6:09 pm
al cope

England 

the pulsing issue has been there with both standard 19" rims and with 20" stormers. Havent had the rumbling before though, but this cant be down to wheels, as it stops when I come off the brake pedal.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #127445324th Apr 2014 6:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Matt R

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

There's a known issue with front brakes causing wheel wobble under braking and the on/off braking feeling at low speeds..
My MY11 had 4sets of front discs and pads done under warranty, over 30k miles. Every time the dealer said they'd would get to the bottom of what was causing the new discs to appear warped after such a short distance, but always gave up finding anything wrong and just replaced them again.
Eventually sold the car and hope I don't get the same on MY14..

The on/off you're getting might be from the rear brakes if you've no steering wheel shimmy.
If yours has the fault, the shimmy will come back though, and my suspicions were always around either wheel bearings or driveshaft/ cv issues.

Let me know if you find a fix ?

Post #127448924th Apr 2014 7:39 pm
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Warped front discs replaced under warranty here too......at under 10k... Neutral
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #127449624th Apr 2014 7:44 pm
gensetsteve

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 4
Re: friggin brakes

I was getting a pulseing from the pedal and vibration from rear as the disc was cooked by the hand brake shoes dragging.
 D4  
Post #127450924th Apr 2014 7:56 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Just replied with this answer on another topic, The cause is DTV - Disc Thickness Variation - felt by Pedal bounce.
Avoid leaving the foot brake on after a prolonged stop. heat transfer from pad to disc can temper the metal and result in a different wear rate.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #127463224th Apr 2014 10:24 pm
gensetsteve

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 4

I would imagine this is worse with an auto as most people will stop the creep with foot brake. If I do a heavy brake then sit in traffic I leave enough room to creep forward for a few minutes. The other thing to avoid is heavy braking then ploughing through flood water.
 D4  
Post #127473025th Apr 2014 7:29 am
al cope

England 

CG - new OEM discs only fitted 3 weeks ago, would I get this already? I am very careful to not sit with my foot on the brake pedal, after having this on D3 with non OEM discs, but never had the issue with OEM product.

also, its not the pedal pulsing, pedal feels firm, its a feeling of slowing/not slowing, as though its not a gradual, smooth stopping motion to a halt.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #127474225th Apr 2014 8:19 am
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I had this on the last two sports - both times cured by modified discs under warranty in less than 4000miles.

As said I try when possible to leave a gap after long or heavy breaking so the pads don't warm one spot of the disc - I also try to stop leaving it on the foot break for periods
 Mike  
Post #127474525th Apr 2014 8:22 am
gensetsteve

al cope wrote:
CG - new OEM discs only fitted 3 weeks ago, would I get this already? I am very careful to not sit with my foot on the brake pedal, after having this on D3 with non OEM discs, but never had the issue with OEM product.

also, its not the pedal pulsing, pedal feels firm, its a feeling of slowing/not slowing, as though its not a gradual, smooth stopping motion to a halt.

Al

I would get in there with the dti and thickness caliper. see if they are warped or thin in places go from their.
 D4  
Post #127501225th Apr 2014 5:33 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Quote:

Reference SSM71867
Models Discovery 4 / L319
Title Vehicle Vibrates / judders whilst braking
Category Chassis
Last modified 27-May-2014 00:00:00
Symptom 301000 Service Brake System
Content
Issue:
Vehicle vibrates/judders whilst braking.(deceleration could be under lift off/engine braking)

Cause:
Disc Thickness Variation (DTV) levels are out of specification causing repeated push backs on the brake pistons/callipers.

Action:
Measure the Brake Disc run out with wheels still installed, as per the process detailed in the workshop manual. If out of specification then please replace the discs following theprocedurein the workshop manual check the installed run out with the wheel mounted and raise an ePQR detailing the values found.

If run out is within specification and the issue still persists then please conduct further diagnosis into the braking system.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #128966627th May 2014 12:35 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

just out of interest - how long have your rear pads lasted for.?

I used to get through pads every 15-20k on the D3 - So far on this D4 im upto 44K and still on the same set of rear pads !!! - checked them last week with the intention of changing them, and they are still good for what could be another 10K at the rate they are wearing. Shocked
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #128968127th May 2014 1:10 pm
gensetsteve

60k on the back the discs are bigger and under less stress than the d3
 D4  
Post #129101929th May 2014 9:50 pm
al cope

England 

time to resurect the thread...........................

Its back in again with brake shake!!

Last set of new front pads and discs (and new front hubs) fitted tail end of Nov 2014, lasted 4 ish months this time, slightly better than the 3 months for previous set.

Dealer agrees the problem is back, case reopened with LR. All now out of warrenty, but ongoing issue so being covered as such.

Booked in for 4 days, have Freely as loan car Big Cry

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #146173321st Apr 2015 3:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >