DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Front knocking.. is this right?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Miguel

Portugal 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Front knocking.. is this right?

Hi all!

I had a knocking in the RH side front suspension, so I took my disco to the dealer, and the first step was to put in the ARB bush spacers.. It got better but just for a while (1 week maybe), but the knocking got back and louder.

So i took it back thinking that it could be a simple problem solved by replacing a few bushes.. ended up paying for 2 lower control arms (left and right).

From your experience, is this the correct procedure? shouldn't the bush replacement sort it out? Or are they just desperate to make money? I can't shake the feeling that I was scammed...

Post #53670519th Oct 2009 12:34 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Often its easier to quickly swap out a whole unit with new bushes already fitted, than it is to spend time renewing bushes in an old control arm.

Whether its cheaper or not is debatable. Certainly for DIY, bush replacement would be much cheaper.

Post #53672919th Oct 2009 1:17 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

But the wishbone bushes have to be fitted a certain way. After fitting a set even with the LR special tools, i definately wouldnt like to do it without... Labourwise, i would say its cheaper to replace the arms as a complete unit...

Assuming there was no play in the ball joints, steering arms and lower steering shaft, then it sounds like it may have been the bushes, though they tend to knock mostly when you hit the brakes sharply...

Anyway, did the new arms fix it? Can you ask to see the old arms, and check the ball joints in them?
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #53684419th Oct 2009 6:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Front knocking.. is this right?

Miguel wrote:
Or are they just desperate to make money? I can't shake the feeling that I was scammed...

I agree with what Gareth and Mikey are telling you...

I know a few people that have had this done, both at official LR dealers and an independant 4x4 workshop and each time they have replaced the whole control arm assembly as it worked out to be the cheapest, most sensible option.

I don't think you've been scammed Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #53686019th Oct 2009 6:25 pm
Miguel

Portugal 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I must say that my disco is now as it never was before (in my hands at least), they definitely solved the problem, no more knocking, either when braking or in bad roads/off road. It drives much better and more confidently, before it seemed that the front right wheel was not part of the car!

They only charged me 100 € +VAT for each arm (they told me that they cost over 170 € +VAT without discount), plus labour, but they never gave me the option of replacing the bushes, or even approached that question.

That is what left me thinking.. but I do have a new car now, so might as well forget about it and enjoy my new ride! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #53712120th Oct 2009 10:04 am
Dickydisco

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Just to add to this, I put mine in to have the bushes done and they garage called me and said it had taken them all day to get the lower wishbone off and that the pins had seezed solid in the bushes. They said they won't even try the other side unless I got a complete arm. So I did and now Im just waiting for it back. They said they are going to cut the old arm in half to get it off. don't know how right that is.Hope this will solve my knocking. already done ARB and drop links
 Current: D3 commercial

Past: but not forgotten D3 HSE x2, 5 TD5 disco2's, 1 200tdi disco1, 2 300tdi disco1 one of which was a commercial, Off roader with a rather large spec, ARB's and big travel suspension to name a few.
Pajero SWB 2.8 for off road playdays
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYBx3SCl8vs check this for laughs 

Post #5451993rd Nov 2009 7:13 pm
Disco_Mikey

Dickydisco wrote:
They said they are going to cut the old arm in half to get it off

A bit extreme if you ask me. They do seize, but are relatively easy to get out once you know how. Give you a clue, it involves a big hammer Whistle
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #5452113rd Nov 2009 7:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Dealer used a hammer on mine and mushroomed the hubs, then they jammed the rimms on and scored the inside. Rolling Eyes
However they replaced the hubs and swapped a set of rims from a demo model. Thumbs Up
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #5454884th Nov 2009 2:32 am
Disco_Mikey

Why did they damage the hubs? Dont have to touch them to replace lower arms Confused
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #5454974th Nov 2009 7:43 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

FIIK?
It was the front of the hub which guides the rim on.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #5455024th Nov 2009 7:54 am
Disco_Mikey

Still, never have to touch them... Least its all sorted now though, and your happy
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #5455074th Nov 2009 8:17 am
Dickydisco

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I am still waiting for the car back, Told them a big hammer was the way forward, only thing is I aint heard from them either so hope all has gone to plan.
They have marked the pins so when the put the new bushes and arm on they will be pretty much in the same place. Do you still advise to get it 4 wheel aligned?
 Current: D3 commercial

Past: but not forgotten D3 HSE x2, 5 TD5 disco2's, 1 200tdi disco1, 2 300tdi disco1 one of which was a commercial, Off roader with a rather large spec, ARB's and big travel suspension to name a few.
Pajero SWB 2.8 for off road playdays
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYBx3SCl8vs check this for laughs 

Post #5460585th Nov 2009 12:17 am
Disco_Mikey

It will still be out a bit, and a 4 wheel alignment is always advised, as tyre wear on a D3 is heavy enough. Your call though Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #5460915th Nov 2009 7:56 am
jjvd21

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

As Disco_Mikey said - get the alignment done. Had my lower control arms replaced 90 days ago and dealer insisted that alignment wasn't necessary. Contrary to recommendations on this forum I took the dealers word for it and am now showing inner tire wear. Get the alignment done no matter what the dealer says!
 16 D4 Landmark
05 D3 HSE V8
THE original D4 spotter 

Post #5462625th Nov 2009 5:01 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Generally it's cheaper to replace the control arms ('wishbones') than replace individual bushes, the bushes also need to be aligned correctly if replaced.... The bolts need to be torqued up with the suspension at a set height not 'hanging free' to avoid pre-loading putting torsional stress on the new bushes

Me? I always recommend replacing the whole control arm, front or rear Thumbs Up

Post #5463475th Nov 2009 8:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >