Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Front wheel arch... respray job??? Main dealer issues...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Is this a certain JLR dealership that is just off the Princess Road between the Mancunian Way and Moss side by any chance?

If so we found that whilst their sales guys wre very good the same cannot be said for the aftersales service - shoddy and indifferent at best.
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE, 2013 MY D4 HSE and 2016 D4 SE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #18880448th Dec 2017 5:15 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

^ Not used them for about 3 years now but never had any issues at all, much better than BMW or Merc dealers I've used in the past

Post #18880468th Dec 2017 5:30 pm
HSELR4

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

It could be the one you have mentioned; or not! I’d rather not say just yet...

As an aside; the V5 I’ve just got back shows the previous owner as ‘Carshop Cardiff’ - which is simply a car supermarket. Why would they be listed as a previous keeper??

In a way it’s a good thing because of the two previous keepers; it appears that the last one was the car supermarket; which means it’s only had one genuine previous owner. But this raises a new question!!!

Would a main dealer purchase a car from a car supermarket; to sell as an approved used? I can’t see anything wrong with that in theory; but it seems odd no? Perhaps the original owner traded the car in at the car supermarket and the supermarket couldn’t shift the Disco; in swoop a dealer group; check it over and sell it on as approved used? Feasible?

Post #18880978th Dec 2017 8:56 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 
Re: Front wheel arch... respray job??? Main dealer issues...

HSELR4 wrote:
I wouldn’t have expected a main dealer approved used 35k car to have such a shoddy repair. They agree it’s poor themselves.

If you think that's bad, I was offered a year old, high spec Full Fat, for £85,000, as an Approved LR used car; despite having premium metallic paint, it had one small dent and 3 moderate and highly visible scratches that had all been touched in with a touch up brush. Fortunately, I saw them long before agreeing to buy and no, they wouldn't do anything to repair them. "It is what it is" was the sales person's justification! (And that was after the Sales Manager had told me that I shouldn't be comparing their used prices with another LR dealer, as their own standard of preparation was so much higher! Evil or Very Mad )

PS: I’d just take the £100, unclip the wheel arch and take it to an independent bodyshop to get it repainted. I know that my local people would do that for around that price.
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #18880998th Dec 2017 9:10 pm
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

HSELR4 wrote:
Would a main dealer purchase a car from a car supermarket; to sell as an approved used? I can’t see anything wrong with that in theory; but it seems odd no? Perhaps the original owner traded the car in at the car supermarket and the supermarket couldn’t shift the Disco; in swoop a dealer group; check it over and sell it on as approved used? Feasible?

In a word, yes. Once its off their forecourt and outside of the 30 day exchange policy, its somebody else's problem. LR dealers are not unique, BMW, Mercedes and Toyota are all the same.

I looked at a lot of different cars before buying my D4, I always wanted a 2012MY L322 with an EDP.

Saw a very late 13 Plate L322 with an EDP, low mileage, nice colour combo at a big LR Dealer with branches all over Northants/Cambs area. Got the pictures of the car and noticed a Diesel Fuel Only sticker on the silver surround in front of the gear selector, after a bit of digging, found out the 1 careful owner was SHB car hire, the car had no service history but the dealer was still prepared to retail it and want top whack for it.

If we had the same consumer laws in the UK as they have in US, car dealers and maunfacturers would really have to up their game.
 1970 RRC
1994 RRC LSE
2002 D2 V8 - Gone
2004 D2 TD5 Landmark - Gone
2016 D4 Landmark - Gone 

Post #188899711th Dec 2017 2:50 pm
HSELR4

Dealer is refusing to allow me to reject the car; this is after I reported one door was out of alignment; and they told me TWICE it had been fixed... but it’s still not right. And then the other issues, from heaters playing up to headlight units having actual water inside, to trim noise; you name it...

Regarding the door specifically; it is apparently within what they deem to be ‘acceptable’ - I mean yes, the door works; but it’s not perfectly straight.

Apparently; I have no choice but to accept the car with a door they falsely claim to have fixed, twice. Land Rover UK aren’t interested; they say they can only chase up mechanical issues, not bodywork issues.

I’ve owned the car two weeks. I don’t really want a car that I’ve spent 35 grand cash on, to have a door out of whack to be honest. But both the dealer and Land Rover seem to be suggesting it’s too much to ask for!! I’m flumoxed. I’ve let them fix it; I’ve not flatly refused a fix; they’ve had it in twice and are simply unable to fix it. Where does that leave me. The door now is only slightly out - but why it can’t be dead on, I truly have no idea.

Never another Land Rover product for me; and I’ve had LR’s for years. Not only is the build quality laughable; it’s apparently acceptable and I’m mad to want things put right. That’s how badly the rot has set in it would seem!

Post #188918611th Dec 2017 9:16 pm
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

Sadly this is the attitude of most car dealers and manufacturers.

I really feel for you, I went through exactly the same process with a brand new TDCi Defender 90 when they first came out, it was a pile of junk, you could see daylight under the passenger door and the window seals weren't fitted correctly so the doors filled with water when it rained. Gearbox ate through clutches, they swapped the gearbox, at that point it was time to get out of it.

LR weren't interested, all I wanted was it either to be repaired or replaced, the dealer was hopeless.

Think long and hard about rejecting the car as its not always the best solution, trying to get the dealer onside is the best way to get the result you want. Looking at the list of things wrong, the lights can get condensation inside them and I think there is a thread on here. In the wise words of RedMerle, for a £100, getting the Wheelarch trim resprayed gets that annoyance sorted. Looking at your profile, your car is a 2015, I don't know if you have any warranty left, try booking it in another dealers to see if the door has dropped and can be adjusted.

It may not seem like it now, but these are good cars, they have good resale values as everybody wants one. Going down the legal route would run into £1000's for you to maybe get £32000 of your initial £35000 outlay back.
 1970 RRC
1994 RRC LSE
2002 D2 V8 - Gone
2004 D2 TD5 Landmark - Gone
2016 D4 Landmark - Gone 

Post #188921711th Dec 2017 10:19 pm
HSELR4

I’ve noted your post and will take it on board. Shame they can get away with it all really... I’ve a few things up my sleeve anyway.

Post #188970812th Dec 2017 11:29 pm
BJT

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have great sympathy and empathy for and with you, I (and I am sure many others) have been through very similar situations.

The most important thing is that you like the car and that goes a long way and you probably wont sell it in a hurry due to your investment and their profit margin.

As others have pointed out many dealers (not all) these days are focused totally on the bottom line and JLR customer services sadly do not add much value.

It may be worth going to a LR approved body shop for a quote and written assessment of the body issues and for them to check to see if the car has suffered any other problems, they will know what to look for. At least at that stage you will know how much more you need to put into the car to get it the way you want it and if you have any grounds to go back at the dealer.

The other issues should be covered by the 2 year warranty which does have value, as I have found out in the past.

Good luck and hope everything works out for you

Post #188977113th Dec 2017 10:35 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >