DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Fuse box location
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Fuse box location

Hiya

Was wondering if I may pick ur brains please, going to add a secondary fuse box for ancillaries

Looking at locations I’m wondering about fitting it on top of the FBH bracket , however my concern is if the heat from the FBH will cause damage to the fuse box , or maybe put a shield there made out of superlux

Another location I was thinking was the upper glove box, however I did try a while back to pull that top section out to no avail

Will be a split fuse box so can run seperate supplies from my main and aux battery

Bless u as always and apologises asking a daft question Bow down

Post #20246002nd Feb 2019 5:58 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

is there no room by the 2nd battery?

where will your "ancillaries " be? in the boot ?

Post #20246552nd Feb 2019 9:59 am
gstuart

Hi Pete

Ref the aux battery, alas not really enough room

Majority of bits will be in the dashboard area , ie dashcam hardwire kit from the aux battery , volt meters for main and aux, usb connectors etc

Thought it easier using a split fuse box so can then run supplies from the main and aux battery to the fuse box, then will have fuses already to connect to what ever I wish to

also need to check the boots Amp capacity supply for my camping coolbox

Just whilst I’m laid up have spent the time to work things out , maybe the upper glove box would be best , could just run 2 x cables from the battery through the bulkhead and into the upper glove box , that’s when I can get the dam thing out Whistle

The only bulkhead wire access point I know is by the servo as mines an auto

Hope ur keeping well, any snow yet pete Thumbs Up

Post #20246862nd Feb 2019 11:04 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

good luck getting the upper glovebox out
Think I gave up.
I need to fix the hinge (and buy one)

maybe inline fuses (blade) or the ones which clip together.

Yes had some snow Friday. (not all gone yet).

Are far too much ice!

P.S - Amazed you aren't tempted by this FBH gadget!

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/fbh-remote-start-55-t-177935.html

Post #20247062nd Feb 2019 11:45 am
gstuart

Thks Pete

Indeed it’s a right sod, gave up as I was worried of breaking it , will try again later on, did get a door card removal tool which I think may help get behind that glove box

Had to replace my lower glove box lid as the handle broke, got new hinge pins as well as I used a dremal to cut the old plastic hinge pins off

Thks for the link, will have a read of that , suprising all the mods that come up

Had a light dusting of snow, all gone , currently 5 C , remember years ago sliding on ice in my old series 2A, Taught me a valuable lesson having 4x wheel drive didn’t make an iota of difference on ice

Post #20247642nd Feb 2019 1:49 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Could you not utilise some of the unused fuse slots in the existing fuse box and just rename them?
Why is the breather pipe missing off your main battery?
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #20247702nd Feb 2019 2:01 pm
gstuart

Hi

That’s a good idea , will look into that and would save me some time, will just then leave the hard wire kit from my aux battery to my dashcam

Good spot, it must have dropped down the side , thks for letting me know Bow down

Thumbs Up

Post #20247882nd Feb 2019 2:45 pm
Avalon

Germany 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Hi,

placed my ancillary fuse box in the left boot "cubby" as I also added some extra outlets for stuff in the boot. From there I also ran some wires back to the dashboard and into the middle console.

Thera are a few more images of the installation in my gallery.

Regards,
Olaf
 Disco4 V6 SC HSE (MY2014)  
Post #20249212nd Feb 2019 9:55 pm
gstuart

Hi

Nice one as that’s very helpful, thks for that , handy with all the different ideas

Thks Will have a look ref the gallery

Did u run 16mm battery cable to ur fuse box in the back and what size amp rated cable did u buy please to go from the fuse box to the dashboard

Thks again Thumbs Up

Post #20251083rd Feb 2019 3:07 pm
Avalon

Hi,

wire gauges I used are as follows:

Battery -> power distribution board: 16mm², 100A fuse, run under sill from secondary battery compartment
1 x Dash cam (dashboard): 1,0mm² - max. 7,5A
1 x Misc. use (dashboard): 1,5mm² - max. 15A
2 x 12V socket in center console: 2,5mm² - max. 20A each
1 x USB socket in center console: 1,5mm² - max. 15A
1 x 12V for CB under passenger seat: 2,5mm² - max. 20A
2 x 12V socket on LH-pannel in the boot : 2,5mm² - max. 20A each
2 x USB socket on LH-pannel in the boot : 1,5mm² - max. 15A combined
1 x 150W converter on LH-pannel in the boot : 2,5mm² - 15A
1 x External lights: 2,5mm² - max. 20A
1 x free floating anderson plug for heavy duty use (e.g. compressor): 6 mm², 50A fuse

The multi-pin connectors used are from the Delphi GT280 and GT150 series.
The plate holding everything is made of 2mm aluminium.

Regards,
Olaf
Post #20252103rd Feb 2019 7:05 pm
gstuart

Hi olaf

Thks a million for taking the time to post that list, extremely helpful Bow down

Good idea ref the ali plate to secure it all to the inside of the boot locker , did u just use brackets to fix the plate to mounting brackets plse

Looks very neat and tidy including it being tucked out of the way , inc , to make up the board on the kitchen table then to fix it into situ , have removed the side locker panel before when I was tracing an airbag fault so know it’s no hardship to remove it

Also is that a blue sea fuse box plse , have been looking at the split fuse box where it has 2 x positive connections, aux Battery as a permanent live then other side for extra switched

Will run mostly all my ancillaries off the aux battery as the other bits will already be wired to the main battery

may i ask where did u pick ur switched live up from please

Have got a switch panel that I’m going to replace the cig lighter panel with , got to buy the switches , will get them with green lighting to match the rest , example in pic

Bought 2 x lcd volt meters for each battery , think the overhead light panel may be the best place, plus they turn off so won’t stay on when I alarm the vehicle , have got the T max split charge system fitted, display is just dots, prefer a proper Vdc display

Have a cig lighter plug in air temperature monitor for the cabin, will get one so I can fit it to the switch panel, only ones I’ve seen have an orange display and round where I need square

Thank u so much once again for the invaluable info Bow down Thumbs Up

Post #20252223rd Feb 2019 7:39 pm
Avalon

Hi Stuart,

nice to hear you like my setup Very Happy.

The ali plate is secured to fittings already present.
Here are two pictures showing the places uses for securing the plate.

The "tounge" is bent around 30° forward to keep the plate flush with the lower mounting point. Two bolts secure the plate to an existing bracket on the left hand side:

On the right hand side, there is a bolt in the lower right corner that screws into a thread present:

Yes, it is a Blue Sea fuse box - like the build quality of their products.

As I connected one of the 12V sockets in the center console my permanent power system, I am using that now redundant connector to provide a switched 12V supply. There are mating T-shaped connectors available that plug in to the connector present.

My USB sockets have a voltmeter included and I also have a ctek battery sense module (https://www.ctek.com/de/products/fahrzeug/ctx-battery-sense) that gives me an overview of the battery health. My overhead light panel has no free space anymore as I have two switches there for my lights.

Regards,
Olaf
Post #20257325th Feb 2019 2:06 pm
charlietortoise

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4
Hey gstuart

On my D4 in the engine bay there are 4 spare fuse slots, two are ignition controlled and 2 are permanent live. You can take the fuse box top half off really easily as there are just 2 clips at each end to release and you can get to the wires. I needed 4 connectors from a scrap car to put into the fuse slots as they just had the terminal for the power into the fuse not the terminal for the power out. I took the terminals from a D3 so I know the fuse box assy is the same.

Alternatively have you thought about piggy back fuses. They push into the fuse position and you can run a new fuse for a new circuit. I was using one at first before I got the terminals from the scrap car. Concevably you could have a piggy back off all your unused fuse positions.

Discovery 4 3.0 HSE 2010 year. I like it a lot. Now with winch 😂  
Post #20257515th Feb 2019 2:55 pm
gstuart

Avalon wrote:
Hi Stuart,

nice to hear you like my setup Very Happy.

The ali plate is secured to fittings already present.
Here are two pictures showing the places uses for securing the plate.

The "tounge" is bent around 30° forward to keep the plate flush with the lower mounting point. Two bolts secure the plate to an existing bracket on the left hand side:

On the right hand side, there is a bolt in the lower right corner that screws into a thread present:

Yes, it is a Blue Sea fuse box - like the build quality of their products.

As I connected one of the 12V sockets in the center console my permanent power system, I am using that now redundant connector to provide a switched 12V supply. There are mating T-shaped connectors available that plug in to the connector present.

My USB sockets have a voltmeter included and I also have a ctek battery sense module (https://www.ctek.com/de/products/fahrzeug/ctx-battery-sense) that gives me an overview of the battery health. My overhead light panel has no free space anymore as I have two switches there for my lights.

Regards,
Olaf

Hi

Thks so much as always for the very helpful Info, most appreciated Bow down

Also like the usb outlets that have the Vdc display

Indeed will be the switched live I’ve got to establish , funny enough bought a battery monitor box as well, fitted it in the boot for better range , connected it into my 12 s circuit , can then like ur good self get readings via my iPad

Post #20263067th Feb 2019 10:58 am
gstuart

Re: Hey gstuart

charlietortoise wrote:
On my D4 in the engine bay there are 4 spare fuse slots, two are ignition controlled and 2 are permanent live. You can take the fuse box top half off really easily as there are just 2 clips at each end to release and you can get to the wires. I needed 4 connectors from a scrap car to put into the fuse slots as they just had the terminal for the power into the fuse not the terminal for the power out. I took the terminals from a D3 so I know the fuse box assy is the same.

Alternatively have you thought about piggy back fuses. They push into the fuse position and you can run a new fuse for a new circuit. I was using one at first before I got the terminals from the scrap car. Concevably you could have a piggy back off all your unused fuse positions.

Hi

Many thks as indeed that will be what I need to establish is a switched live

As mines a base model ive seen a few empty fuses on the passenger fusebox, so ideally if I find out which one is a switches live I could then run it up to the upper glove box, where I can install a small fuse box where I can then run the wires off from ,

If I get a fuse box that has the twin positive connections can then have one SWL and the other permanent, that one I’ll run off my aux battery

Got to find out which spare passengers fuses are the switches lives

Also didn’t realise the engine fuse box Un clipped like that , will be handy for when I search to retrofit some windscreen heated washer jets , assume as u mention the terminal on the other side of the fuse isn’t there and will have to get some , maybe I’ll buy a second hand fuse box off eBay , so will be useful for future projects where I can rob parts from it, also knowing 100% they will fit

Thks so much once again, really is most appreciated Bow down

Post #20263117th Feb 2019 11:13 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >