Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Garmin BC-30 Camera
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Corona750

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Garmin BC-30 Camera

Does anyone know if the Garmin BC-30 reversing camera fits into the slot on the boot lid handle? If not is a Land Rover aftermarket camera compatible with a Garmin 61 LMT-D satnav?

I have the dreaded reverse sensor issue (not audible, speaker ok, but flashing red LED on button on dash). It will be easier to put a camera in, especially as I'm currently fitting the satnav into the dash.

Post #196268812th Jul 2018 6:47 pm
Corona750

Thinking about where to fit the camera. On the tailgate handle alongside the two number plate lights there is a small removable plastic cover hiding a small opening. Does anyone know what this hole is for and whether they see any problem me utilising this hole to fit the reversing camera?

Post #196437617th Jul 2018 11:16 am
Corona750

Fitted the camera yesterday, just need to run the cables up into the car and down to the reverse light for power.

Click image to enlarge

Post #196609522nd Jul 2018 12:48 pm
Comps

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks Corona750, that's really useful. I've just bought the BC-30 and I'd be very interested in any advice or pointers you could give me for the installation. I have a Discovery 4, 2011 SDV6 GS and aim to install the camera in the same spot as yourself. Cheers Comps

Post #196821627th Jul 2018 9:35 pm
Corona750

To install the camera itself I used a small drill bit to drill several holes to make two slots in the plastic plate, and a 9.5mm (if I remember correctly) hole at the rear for the cable. Remember to leave the small moulded plastic clips to ensure it clips back into the handle.

I then removed the camera from the small metal bracket by removing the two small bolts and slotted them from the inside down through the plate, and then reattached the camera.

Whilst removing the handle in order to feed the cable through to the boot I found that one of the torx bolt heads was rounded off and so I need to drill this out. Therefore currently I've just looped the wire from behind the handle and under the boot lid. The rubber seal means the cable goes through without being damaged.

Tomorrow, weather permitting, I'm hoping to feed the cable through to the reverse light, and also install the transmitter in the removeable black plastic trim at the top of the rear tailgate glass. This means I only need to feed the power cable down to the lights whilst giving the transmitter a clear line of site to the satnav apart from one piece of plastic.

Once I've powered the camera I can then start to see what the signals like before I run the satnav cables behind the dash.

Hope this helps Comps Smile

Post #196822927th Jul 2018 10:24 pm
Corona750

Sorry Comps forgot to mention, if you want me to remove the plastic clip and take a photo of the bracket from the inside I can try tomorrow assuming the weather allows?

Post #196823027th Jul 2018 10:26 pm
Comps

Thanks Corona750, that's really helpful. If I'm feeling brave later I'll start installing the camera and let you know how I get on but will probably wait until a friend with significantly more skill than me is back from holiday Laughing

Thanks for the offer of a photo, I don't think I need that given the description you've given and I don't want you to go the bother/risk of dismantling the good work you've already completed. I'd be grateful if you could keep me updated with your progress though and good luck with the weather today!
Cheers
Comps

Post #196827028th Jul 2018 9:08 am
Corona750

Thanks Comps and good luck.

I'll keep the thread updated as I progress Thumbs Up

Post #196827728th Jul 2018 9:38 am
Corona750

Does anyone have a wiring diagram or wire colour for the reverse lights? I need to identify the correct wire to splice the camera feed into.

Post #196833628th Jul 2018 1:20 pm
Corona750

All sorted. I managed to identify the green with brown wire as the reverse light feed so spliced into this along with a ground wire. The camera works perfectly with the transmitter sat behind the black trim at the top of the tailgate glass and the receiver cable sat behind the dash as described on my other thread regarding the satnav fitting.

Made myself smile when I selected reverse for the first time to find my neighbours house upside down Rolling with laughter but once I rotated the camera in the bracket by undoing the two retaining bolts this was all resolved.

I've set the red line approx 2" from my rear bumper and the white tram lines a couple of inches from either side of the car.

I would like to get a forward facing camera for the Garmin satnav however I believe if I was to fix a BC-30 camera facing forward it would show a reverse image on the satnav. Not sure how to get round this unless I can find an alternative wireless camera which operates on the same frequency, assuming the Garmin satnav will accept it.

Post #196880129th Jul 2018 9:51 pm
Comps

Hi Corona750, great to hear you're up and running. I've had similar success and have installed the camera as you've suggested so a big thank you for that!

I've temporarily rigged the electrics into the 12v socket making the camera 'always on' and as the camera is accessible from the home screen it's been very easy to access during reversing. I'm keen to do the job properly so will splice into the reversing wiring soon.

One issue has come to light though and it's with the replacement power cable for the Sat Nav unit that came in the box with the camera. The new Sat Nav power cable has a black box (camera signal receiver) with a plug-in DAB antenna to receive the real time traffic information. However, the plug-in DAB antenna does not pick up traffic signals.... I've contacted Garmin and spoke at length with a very helpful techie, however the Garmin proposed solutions make no difference; re-boot, ensure antenna is correctly positioned, check software up to date etc etc. Interestingly Garmin know about this issue and it's appears to be a common complaint! It's worth mentioning the original power cable picks up traffic information just fine.

The work around that I'm currently using is to keep both the original power supply cable and the new power cable in the car and switch them over when I want use the reversing camera!!! Pretty unpractical but it does mean both the traffic info and the camera works. I'll keep plugging away with Garmin tech support and will update the thread with progress.

I hope you haven't had this issue?

Cheers
Comps

Post #19699071st Aug 2018 9:08 pm
Corona750

Hi Comps, great to hear you've got the camera up and running Thumbs Up

I've not had too much issue with traffic however this is mainly due to using the smartlink app on my phone. The traffic is picked up by this rather than via the traffic cable. This does mean my phone doesn't pair with the D3 bluetooth so I cannot use the phone function so only a short term solution.

I'll be interested to hear what Garmin come up with, but in the meantime if I come up with another solution I'll let you know.

Post #19699341st Aug 2018 10:22 pm
Corona750

Hi Comps,

Out of interest I disconnect my phone from the satnav and tested the traffic aerial. After 5 minutes it started working okay only after I routed the small DAB cable up towards the windscreen.

Perhaps it is a fault with the one you have purchased, although I agree it seems a common theme from Garmin!

Hope you get it sorted.

Post #19701812nd Aug 2018 5:54 pm
Comps

That's good of you Corona750, thanks for trying that. I suspect the new cables at fault as I've had the antenna at every angle possible with no success Laughing
I'll keep plugging away at Garmin to send a new one and we'll keep our fingers crossed!
Cheers Comps

Post #19702552nd Aug 2018 9:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >