Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Gear Box shudder fix - longevity
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

If you take a look at filos oil flush guide, the top hose used is the easiest route - put into the cooler with a short bit of hose.

Its not a difficult job to flush the gearbox in a couple of goes spaced over a few hundred miles, then add the DrTranny in the second flush.
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #216947823rd Aug 2020 3:06 pm
life - live it

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Going to take the plunge and get a new TC fitted to mine. Was quoted £1600 from Jas landrover.
With 200k on the clock - is it worth looking into getting a reconditioned gearbox or just get a new TC fitted

TIA

Post #216948123rd Aug 2020 3:14 pm
Discoveringcomfort

England 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: AS this seems to be the tranny thread of late

Ruper wrote:
Ok, not sure my issue is a shudder or a KABLAM!! I think of shudder as a back and forth (as per DUTCHBOY) 3rd/4th/3rd/4th, I edit for the American audience. JK! mine is a rev increase with a sudden shift into I assume second gear. This happens only to me when I am rolling, and don't come to a complete stop before again accelerating. Pretty sure it is a 1st gear to second gear thing, as it also sometimes happens when stopped hard like if someone stopped quickly in front of you, and when you stopped the gears "backed up" as if a trailer with a heavy load was behind you pushing the vehicle, or the gears "Piled up" and shifted from 4th to 3-1 in a fraction of a second, however the braking is normal, not quick/jam/both feet on pedal.

I am sure this is a different subject however this solenoid subject has been popping up recently and I now am the proud owner of an IIDTool. So where to find the information on logging a trip in IIDTool to figure out my issue, as I am thinking the torque converter is the issue but there is only this one issue (for now, with the trans anyway) as I am getting no high revs gear changes in other gears or on cruise. I just did the parts change out when I only needed to clean out an exhaust valve on my compressor so I am trying not to "PARTS CHANGE" this one out, and fail, and fail only to learn I could have change one solenoid, or sleeve or I have no idea about a ZF autobox, I own a Scout with gears 1969 version 3 speed the rebuild consisted of picking out the big chunks of metal and looking at the 6 gear wheels in it.
I would like to fix this without an additive but it is no where near critical IMO yet although I am thinking of running some trails later this year and will demand more than flat highway and a now and then sand trip that I do once in a while.
I don't want to ignore this until it drops the Auto-box on the ground one day either.

I'll stop now sorry long winded post.

Hi Ruper,
Do a search on here as there are threads re this happening at junctions. It has a US name for the problem but cant't remember what. Mine does it at times, it is considered to be the g'box not knowing what gear to be in and it just sits and thinks about it. You then decide that it needs more revs but it still thinks about it. Finally after adding more revs it decides that a low gear is where it needs to be but by now the revs are high and BANG.

Quick search and came up with this:

From member "mobyone"

"Just going through my folder of TSB's and found another one that could be relevant Question ...

TSB LTB00101 11th Dec 2007

V8 Gasoline only
Subject: 2-1 Harsh transmission shift
Customer concern: When the vehicle downshifts 2-1 and the throttle is re-applied, a thump is felt.."
Action is same as before.. reconfig TCM and ECM"
 Series 1 V8
Series 2 Hibrid V8
Discovery 3 HSE V8 

Post #216948323rd Aug 2020 3:17 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

You are looking for California Stop...Basically where you roll to around 4 to 5mph and then accelerate away, with a resulting thump through the drivetrain..
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #216953223rd Aug 2020 7:31 pm
Discoveringcomfort

England 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks, getting old so bad memory unles it happened 20 years ago according to her indoors!.
 Series 1 V8
Series 2 Hibrid V8
Discovery 3 HSE V8 

Post #216963624th Aug 2020 9:38 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Be warned you currently have a Torque converter fault if you use Dr Tranny its only a temp fix you will then need a new Torque converter and gearbox rebuild due to the affect it has on the seals.

The best way to add it is to drain all the oil out of the gearbox so that you also have good clean oil.
1. Remove the filler plug on left hand side of gearbox ( oil will come out when the engines off its normal)
2. Remove drain plug and allow oil to drain
3. Replace drain plug and add 2x Dr tranny
4. Fill gearbox through filler hole until it starts coming out then replace filler plug
5. Start engine and allow it to idle for 20 mins
6. Move the gear lever through all the positions
7. Remove filler plug with the engine running
8. Add oil until it starts coming back out
9. Replace filler plug
10. Road test

You will need about 4 to 5ltrs of the correct transmission fluid ( not normal red atf) and unless you get it in the small filler bottles you will also need an oil pump

Post #216974024th Aug 2020 6:06 pm
Ruper

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Maya GoldLR3
UPDATE

Well at present I am getting the California Stop issue intermittently.
I did a software patch from GAP some months ago and it fixed my issue, at that time. Didn't get much of a fuel bump but it did go away.
As I said recently it has come back a couple times when I forgot about it and punched the gas to get away from a red light.
I will do the reset here shortly with the IID tool and see if that helps relearn the right way to drive.

Currently clocking if this happens more frequently, for now I'll leave well enough alone. No Dr Tranny for me, at least yet.
 2005 Land Rover D3, 4.4L V8, Maya Gold Metallic
1966 Scout 800, 196 cu.in.
1975 Scout II, 392 cu.in. 

Post #216974624th Aug 2020 6:27 pm
Groomie

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Thanks everyone. I've had a quote for a gearbox flush, they themselves say they add Dr Tranny after the flush, so I feel quite safe using it, especially after the good reviews on here. Am I correct in saying I remove the pipe illustrated, pour 2 oz of Dr Tranny into the radiator hole, put the pipe back on, then run the car at idle whilst stationary selecting up and down the gears? Thank you in advance! Very Happy

Post #217086731st Aug 2020 3:20 pm
Antjp

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Gear Box shudder fix - longevity

Downhiller wrote:
Put a tube of Dr Tranny Shudder Fix in my gearbox by removing the jubilee clip on one of the oil cooler pipes next to the radiator. Very simple fix. Worked immediately. Car drives like new again. It also uses less fuel. I know that i will probably eventually have to replace the Torque Convertor (TC) as that ultimately is what is causing the shudder (TC slipping - fixed by magic ingredients in the tube of Dr Tranny).

Does anyone on here have experience of the Dr Tranny working for a long time or does it break down resulting in a top up being needed?

It’s ok to use as a stop gap as long as you are not pulling heavy loads long distance especially up hill. It can’t handle that. But it can handle the general weight of the car ok travelling sensibly.

Post #225091112th Sep 2021 11:56 am
Fatneck73

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 3

Can someone show me which oil cooler pipe to use - maybe a piccy? Im no mechanic and in the piccy above…isnt this a radiator pipe rather than an oil cooler pipe????

Post #227389420th Jan 2022 1:56 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Do a search for Filo DIY mega flush there used to be some good pictures on that post. The oil cooler is built into the radiator assembly
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #227390420th Jan 2022 2:47 pm
Fatneck73

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 3

Done. Couldnt see anything that defo conf but now understand that this is the right pipe. Thanks

Post #227390720th Jan 2022 2:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >