Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Gearbox Fault when starting in sub-zero temperatures
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4
Gearbox Fault when starting in sub-zero temperatures

Had this three times now, always below -5C: engine starts OK, but yellow triangle comes up on dash and says "Gearbox fault"

Till yesterday (-10C, brrrrr) turning off and on again has cleared it, but this time it stayed on. Seemed to drive OK, so tried ignition off and on after five miles or so, when everything up to temperature (and I was parked outside a hotel just in case!), and it cleared. What I did notice this time was the engaging sport mode didn't seem to make any difference (looking for engine braking on a descent) and there was no command shift. After the restart, all was OK

My best guess so far is something actually freezing up that thaws out as it warms up, but other ideas welcome before it goes into the stealers tomorrow

Martin

Post #73446320th Dec 2010 12:19 pm
Discoed

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Sounds as though its time for a new battery

Post #73447720th Dec 2010 12:39 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Martin

I have had the same issue. It appears that there is no diffrence in the drive, however I have not tried the command shift. Next time it happens I will try command shift and see what happens. Only seems to happen below -5.

Regards
Russell
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #73449220th Dec 2010 1:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MartinR

I'd pondered battery from other posts here, but it starts with no trouble, and it's only a year old (possibly less, since I suspect they may have changed it in one of the assurance programmes). I almost never do short journeys, so it should be pretty well charged - this time, I'd driven to N. Wales on Friday (200 miles) and 180 miles on Thursday. And of course after 300 miles ending at 1130pm last night, I had the warning again this morning Sad

Post #73454520th Dec 2010 2:36 pm
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

It's 99 percent certain to be the car thinking the battery is low. This is a known problem and probably 80 percent of Disco4 owners could reproduce the "gearbox fault" by simply starting the engine, stopping it and starting it again 3 or 4 times.

Most LR Assistance Techs know about this oddity of the software and will call and ask customers if they have restarted the car a couple of times before going out to this problem.

The charging system on a D4 doesn't charge the battery all the time, the so called Smart Charging does things like only charging when the throttle is closed on overrun for fuel saving purposes. I believe there is a system that shuts down the alternator to reduce the load on the engine.

The battery management system low battery level threshold on some cars appears to be set too high, so the car thinks the battery is flat and does things like switch off the ICE, seat heaters and screen heaters. Mine decided the battery was too low for the heated steering wheel the other day.
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #73459320th Dec 2010 4:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4

mwestcrew,

I think you must be right, as mine has started getting flaky - turning the heating off, pausing the ipod, turning the GGS off on a restart for no good reason. I use it every day, and mostly for longish (over 15-20 miles) journeys averaging 2k per month, and it is only 8 months old. Not sure what more I can do to keep it happy. It really shouldn't be necessary to use a charger given my usage! Sad
 d4 HSE  
Post #73477920th Dec 2010 9:53 pm
MartinR

stick wrote:
turning the GGS off on a restart for no good reason.

Hmm, I could have sworn that last winter it stayed in GGS till I told it otherwise, but this winter it's definitely not in GGS after being locked and unlocked (even without the fault light!). I thought I was just making it up, but a further pointer perhaps?

Post #73484620th Dec 2010 11:43 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Mine stays in GGS some times and others it resorts back to special programs off!!!!!!! Not sure why and does not seem to be temp linked.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #73490221st Dec 2010 8:13 am
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I'm not sure about the GGS....(it took me most of the night to work out what it was!!) mine has been staying on after a restart sometimes and sometimes not.....I must try and see if it's connected with my problem with the FBH not starting due to low battery.

My car had a new battery last year. It's going to the stealers today (Hartwells Oxford) in attempt to sort out my problem with FBH, and I have forced LR to provide a like for like car from the management fleet. I have had what I believe to be a battery issue for 14 months now.
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #73490521st Dec 2010 8:15 am
MartinR

Should have said hello - I was the guy on the sofa in the waiting area using the iPad!

New software for the transfer box apparently - known issue, patch released "recently" (since September service anyway) Now just got to wait for the next really cold night

Post #73499421st Dec 2010 11:31 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >