DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

General technical questions from a new Disco4 driver
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
LapoElkan

Netherlands 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
General technical questions from a new Disco4 driver

After 8000km in my new Discovery 3.0 TDV6 210BHP SE some remarks or questions:

If I put the navigation on full screen map, after entering the motorway is automatically goes back to the split screen mode showing the exits. If I put it back on full screen after entering the next motorway on a junction, it goes back to splitscreen again. Is this how it is programmed or do I have to change a setting?

When slowing down for a roundabout or junction the gearbox is very late with shifting down,
when driving calmly it only shifts down once you get near 1000 rpm. this especially in the morning causes vibrations through the whole car and when driving with a trailer it is to pushy so more braking is needed.
Is this how the gear box is set up or does anyone recognize this?

Also, if the car is in 8th gear and I want to accelerate quickly it shifts down (normal off course).
The only thing is, it does not feel very sophisticated, in other words the change down goes with a clunk which goes through the car. Is this something I have to get used to or not normal?

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with the car but the above is just wondering me.

Post #113604925th Jul 2013 2:31 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I'm not sure on the set up of the sat nav without going out to the car to have a look but the problem you are having with hesitation is a known about problem. There is a very long thread about it here

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic91114.html

But the bit that you are looking for is quoted below. Basically there is a software update for the gearbox so you car would have to be booked in to a dealership to have the update applied Thumbs Up

Quote:
LTB00545

Issued 14 MAY 2013

Model Year 2012 - 2013

VIN Range CA596988 to DA677290

Customer may complain of a hesitation at a low rolling speed, for example when approaching a traffic island / roundabout

Cause - Software calibration, engine acceleration and downshifts 4-3-2

Automatic Transmission - tune download SRO 44.90.10 Casual part LR041171
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #113612425th Jul 2013 5:08 pm
LapoElkan

Great news about the software update, my car is within the range that should have it done.

On my way to the dealer now, let's see what they can do!

Thank you so far.

Post #113643726th Jul 2013 10:15 am
LapoElkan

That went well......

I visited the dealer, they tried to do the update but my car indicates it is not necessary to do the update.....

Now I have to bring the car next week and they will test it further.

Too bad it is not just the update.

Post #113650126th Jul 2013 11:58 am
disco4x4au

Australia 

When driving with the trailer, use sport mode. The upshifts will occur much sooner.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #113745229th Jul 2013 2:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LapoElkan

Not completely true, it does upshift sooner but only when you are also driving sportly, so not with normal driving with a trailer.

The car has been in at the dealer, after consulting LR Netherlands, the update was done and problem is less now. Gear change down now is earlier so that's good.

Gear changes also are more smooth.
Next problem:
wining noice between 95 and 100 km/h and above 150, seems to be coming from the drivetrain.
Klunk wenn driving off or after slowing down but not stopping and then accelerate.
Made a deal to check the demo of the dealer (mechanic will drive it and then drive my car) and they will continue investigation when car goes in for service in 5000km.

Problem with full map screen solved: changed a setting in the navigation user menu.
So, in all: We are getting there! Wink

Post #115655712th Sep 2013 3:27 pm
phl

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

The clunk when slowing then accelerating is a function of the update I suspect.

My theory is the old software allows the car to coast until you stop, then change down, hence smoothe and no clunks, but if you suddenly hit the accelerator without stopping, it gets caught in the wrong gear, hence the hesitation. The update makes it change down, but you get the clunk, and no hesitation. Or at least in my experience over the past nearly 2 mths now.

Post #115763314th Sep 2013 10:28 pm
warrenkerrigan

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I know on my Disco 3 there was an option to turn on the Motorway window when you get on a motorway. I am pretty sure (although I can't remember exactly where), that the option in within the navigation system to disable that. My guess is that it is in the settings within the Nav system. I will have a look tomorrow and see if I can find it.

Post #115790815th Sep 2013 7:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >