Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

GG AT vs AT3 vs X3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
d-9

United Kingdom 
GG AT vs AT3 vs X3

Does anyone have any opinions of how the AT3 compare to the original GG AT? I have got 275/40 ATs currently and am not impressed with the performance of them on mud or snow (I span it green laning last month!). Has anyone used both and think the AT3 is much better?

The other option I'm looking at are GG X3s, but I'm worried theyre a bit too much of a compromise for the road.
 2008 TDV8 Sport HSE
1973 SIII Lightweight
Etc 

Post #192664316th Mar 2018 12:06 am
Maxxed_Ross

Scotland 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I had AT3's on my Freelander 2 (slightly lighter I know) but it always performed well in the snow.

Didn't get the chance to try them in anything axle deep like we've just had, but they managed fine every time we had normal amounts of snow.

I also found them good in the wet. Very predictable and never really felt any issues when hitting standing water either... unlike the Pirellis that came fitted to it. Thought I was going to spear off the road with every damp patch Rolling Eyes

Decent all rounder Id' say
 2013 Discovery 4 HSE Lux | 2001 Defender 90 TD5 | 2007 Prodrive RB320  
Post #192665916th Mar 2018 6:55 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

I've got AT3 on my RRS at the moment. These were previously fitted to my old TDV8 which had also had two sets of ATs before.

I would say the AT3 is a better tyre all round. It's better on road, doesn't get noisy with wear (so far they are about 50% worn by which point the AT would have been whining). Very good on wet roads - some people claim the AT was a bit squirmy on wet tarmac but I never found that to be the case). Very good in the recent snow. I used them on the rocky tracks at Les Comes last year and they were spot on. Haven't done lots of mud work but what they have seen they've handled well.

I will be fitting another set of AT3 when these are worn. Excellent All Terrain tyre in my opinion. Thumbs Up

Having said all of that, I would be interested to see some reviews of the new Goodyear Wrangler Adventure.
https://www.goodyear.eu/en_gb/consumer/tir...ATADV.html

There is also, of course, the Goodyear Duratrac which is held in high regard by those running it. It is speed limited, however, which might put off some.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #192669916th Mar 2018 9:34 am
alfamale

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I've had all three on my D4 in recent years. In my opinion, X3s are not an everyday tyre because of the increased road noise which will only increase further as the tyres wear and age, so mine are now in the garage waiting for my next off-roading trip and my Pirellis back on for now.

The AT3s were good all-rounders and did me proud in some tricky situations in the Pyrenees last year.

However, all the GGs I've had have suffered from sidewall damage (something they're apparently prone to) when off-roading but I guess that's the nature of the beast of off-roading.

Next time I think I may go Duratracs as they have added additional Kevlar bands to the sidewalls, or up the ante and go Cooper if I have additional pennies in the bank.
 Front Runner Rack, OEM Ladder & RAI, Tuff-Trek Foxwing, B'rakhah Ingonyama Expedition Trailer, RLD's Spare Wheel Protector, Bodsy's Bars, Empty Pockets! Member of Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response.

Post #192670416th Mar 2018 9:50 am
biskit

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Having a great time with Cooper AT3s, on road and green lanes.
 Mantec sump guard.
Prospeed tree slider/steps.
Flack duel battery system.
18"Compomotive/AT3 tyres
Brembo 4pot front brakes 

Post #192670916th Mar 2018 10:17 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >