Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

I give up - no more - landline phone finally unplugged
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I use Vonage as my VoIP provider: https://www.vonageforhome.co.uk/

I particularly like their Vonage Extensions their mobile app. and the ability to have virtual numbers.
My brother who lives in the USA users Vonage, and he has a local number near me, to encourage friends & family to call him in the States, but at no extra cost.

Do look at the reviews & comparisons, and ensure that if you go VoIP your new VoIP number is truly portable and that you can port it to another provider if you need to.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #22073952nd Feb 2021 11:15 am
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

I'm with TalkTalk and very very rarely get nuisance calls. Invested in a CPR CalBlocker V5000 about 5 years ago and rarely have a nuisance call. If I do get a nuisance call I just hit the 'Stop Now' button or enter a combination of buttons on the telephone keypad and that number is added to the list of numbers blocked.

https://www.cprcallblocker.com/
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Last edited by WOODY179 on 2nd Feb 2021 1:32 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #22074002nd Feb 2021 11:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I changed from Virgin to Sky 18 months ago. When asked if I wanted to port the number, I said no I’ll have a new number please.

Since then, we only use mobiles, only give mobile numbers out when we absolutely need to, and only family and some friends have the landline.

We always let it ring to answer phone and have caller I’d turned on. We get very few calls on it now, and only ever use it very occasionally.

We are in a slightly iffy mobile signal area, so sometimes have to use it.

Post #22074042nd Feb 2021 11:38 am
RootinTootin

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

We had to get a call blocking phone for my 94 year old father who was getting nuisance calls. Now we have programmed in his known numbers, he only answers when a name comes up in the display.
Unfortunately, the best laid plans are screwed until he has had his Covid vaccination, as the District Nurse is due to come to vaccinate him at home but they won’t give me a number to programme into his phone so he knows when they’ll appear. He’s grateful for the vaccination (now that they have FINALLY got him on the list🤬) but I worry about the nuisance calls in the interim.

We have ditched our landline in our other house, primarily due to crap service and it not working more often than it did work. We were extending the house and the line came in at that end of the house. We decided not to get it re-instated when the extension was built; getting the line removed was the most efficient BT had ever been! We now have satellite broadband which is infinitely better than BT were providing and we use mobiles. We intend to investigate Vonage when we eventually move over permanently.

Post #22074072nd Feb 2021 11:46 am
RATA1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Famousfive wrote:
^^ this is my provider for VOIP and they have a forwarding feature.

https://www.voipfone.co.uk/

I just use my landland number now as a voicemail service and any messages come to me in an email but as the years go by less and less need for my £2.40 month subscription Thumbs Up

Have a look at Andrews and Arnold - £1.20 per month + calls with VM, email and call recording. Do a basic witelist but not a specific blacklist yet.

I only pay a fixed fee for my G.fast BB which includes the copper rental @£28 p/m.

If you drop the copper and go 4G or 5G for internet, be aware that Vodafone uses CGNAT and SIP won't work and nor will games etc. EE, Three and O2 do currently work for that. I expect Vodafone will once IPv6 is adopted Wink

RootinTootin wrote:

We have ditched our landline in our other house, primarily due to crap service and it not working more often than it did work. We were extending the house and the line came in at that end of the house. We decided not to get it re-instated when the extension was built; getting the line removed was the most efficient BT had ever been! We now have satellite broadband which is infinitely better than BT were providing and we use mobiles. We intend to investigate Vonage when we eventually move over permanently.

Satellite BB won't reliably support SIP (or many real-time applications) due to latency/jitter/packet loss/UDP etc.
My sister had satellite BB and ditched it in favour of 4G which I set up for her - but that should be on a different thread I guess - high gain directional parabolic antenna to cellular cell tower == happy SIP and Netfix users Wink As you use mobiles already, you already have cell coverage so check Cellmapper.net as cellular is better than satellite where wires are not available as bandwidth is way cheaper and depending on the carrier - unlimited. Thumbs Up
 In today's world, if you contribute something, you don't contribute enough. If you contribute nothing, you receive everything.

2014 Discovery XXV
1961 Series 2 

Post #22074212nd Feb 2021 12:22 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Andrews and Arnold are my ISP & are brilliant.

https://www.aa.net.uk/

They are consistently top in independent reviews of ISPs: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/top10.php

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #22074362nd Feb 2021 12:50 pm
daimlermg

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I have just today moved my phone from Vonage at £8 per month to Sipgate with no monthly costs but 1.18p a min and all calls go the the voice mail which is then sent to me as a email mp3 file and a text to my mobile within a few seconds. I then answer if I want to.

I do have B4RN Gigabit Fibre to the home ( we dug 35 Km of trenches across the field to get it to our Parish) so no BT wires to the house ( because I cut the cable)

I have a mobile PAYG sim at 1p per min with 1p mobile

Working well so far
 Faultmate MSV-2
500,000 plus miles in RR,s and trying for more without breakdowns this time Smile
Gone Lexus RX400h SE
Past Audi A6 avant Qutro
Toyota Supra
Long line of RR's
Had for 40 years but now gone 1935 Daimler and 1937 MG 

Post #22074462nd Feb 2021 1:05 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

WOODY179 wrote:
I'm with TalkTalk and very very rarely get nuisance calls.Inversted in a CPR CalBlocker V50000 about 5 years ago and rarely have a nuisance call. If I do get a nuisance call I just hit the 'Stop Now' button or enter a combination of buttons on the telephone keypad and that number is added to the list of numbers blocked.

https://www.cprcallblocker.com/

Just had a look - this looks idea. Even just being able to block international would solve 99% of it. There is the very rare mobile CLI spoof but most are long international numbers.

Sounds like I'm not the only one not seeing the point of landline any more. I'll keep the phones in a cupboard for a while see how it goes. Then I think I'll move to a non-landline internet provider. It does concern me being wholly reliant on mobile for data, especially WFH now, so would like to keep fibre
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #22074532nd Feb 2021 1:20 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

We use 4g for internet/email/etc, all the usual stuff, but also stream all our TV via 4g as well. IPlayer, Netflix, Ch4, Disney+, etc, all streamed via the 4g router. Thumbs Up

Post #22074552nd Feb 2021 1:31 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

I must have 30-40 devices connected to my router when you include all the smart home stuff and even my clock radio etc. - it's all online ... plus I have two wired access points to reach the other end of the house and the garden. I assume that kind of setup wouldn't translate very well to 4G or 5G?

Someone else raised the point about CGNAT too - it's not life or death but it would stop me using some fixed IP ham radio kit (mostly Wires-X)
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #22074612nd Feb 2021 1:53 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Still have to (?) have a landline for the internet but haven't used a wired phone for about 8 years.

I have a physical phone in the study for 'emergency' use (can't really think of such a need with mobiles?) but I haven't used it for the eight years or so I mention. I never give out my landline number (don't even know what it is.....), not even to friends and family.

Never had an issue with SPAM calls in all the time I applied my 'rules'. However when the current SWMBO moved in she started handing the number out so we then started to get SPAM calls as she'd answer it any time it rang 'in case its my mum/friend/doctor/whatever' FFS. Had to yell at her not to answer it if I was in and heard it ring and start 'educating' her contacts to use her mobile as every call on that is free, none of this 'after 6.00pm', 'only at weekends' Censored BT have/has.

She has one friend who insists on still calling her on the landline but if I'm in I tell SWMBO not to answer it. Nine times out of ten her mobile will ring 10 seconds later....... Rolling Eyes

Post #22074622nd Feb 2021 2:03 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Pick up phone

Turn upside down

Locate ringer switch

Turn off ringer

Replace phone

Deny all knowledge
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #22074672nd Feb 2021 2:38 pm
SN

I've had the Virgin Media service for 20 years (thru all its name changes) and I can honestly say its superb. We get very few "gentlemen from nigeria telling us our computer is infected" calls now but hardly anyone rings it anyway/ Only there as part of the whole service, could probably let it go but there is the odd case where the land line number is the only one they use.

Would never swap anyway because the Cable Broadband is superb, rock solid and cheapo fast. You just need to recognise the the VM Superhub's Wifi Capability is garbage and you need to slap a mesh system on the end of it to get the full service. Which I have. My connected device count is around 50, including Ring camera/doorbells which are super chatty with video uploads, and a Netflix/XBOX happy daughter who burns data like no tomorrow! Rolling Eyes
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #22074872nd Feb 2021 3:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #22075332nd Feb 2021 5:45 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Laughing Laughing Laughing Thumbs Up

Post #22075342nd Feb 2021 5:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >