EGRs blanked & MAP sensor clean
13%
 13%  [80]
EGRs not blanked & MAP sensor clean
12%
 12%  [75]
Total Votes: 582

Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I've been using a can of this....

http://www.motoelectrical.co.uk/crc-shop/c...ow-sensor/

Which I assume is the right stuff for the job? I think purity and evaporation rates are the essence of this stuff. Electrical contact cleaner is harsh and WD40 is more a lubricant (although I know it has a thousand and one cleaning applications - just look on YouTube) Thumbs Up

I used this to also clean the intake valve butterfly flappy-thingy which was looking rather crusty also Thumbs Up

Bought my last lot from Amazon back in Feb 2016 but it is not showing available now Big Cry

But the above link looks like a valid purchase.
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #17439504th Dec 2016 4:13 pm
ClassikFan

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Had a look at mine today and it was pretty sooty. Cleaned with a bit of brake cleaner.
Also discovered how to get the engine cover off! Nice and easy, no tools required, much simpler than the TD5 cover.

Post #175610931st Dec 2016 5:46 pm
martindg

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I was towing our 1.5 tonne carvan to the Forest of Dean last week, going up a long steep B road out of Monmouth, lifted the throttle on a bend and the disco went into limp mode and displayed the special programs unavailable message, 3 miles at 20 mph, pulled over at the first layby restarted the engine, and all was fine again.

After read the error codes the only significant one was :-
P0234-00 (68) Unknown
After a bit of research i was having visions of changing the turbo in the hope that might fix it, i hate swapping parts to see what happens.

I came across this post, so today i had a quick look at ours. It was completely blocked with oil/crud as was the hole in the manifold. I cleaned it with contact cleaner and cleaned out the hole. I can't believe the difference it has made, our car has always had a noticeable flat spot from moving off, its like a different car now, very responsive, and much quicker, even my wife noticed the difference.

I used my iid tool to monitor the absolute manifold pressure in neutral over 750-3000 rpm before and after cleaning the map sensor, before it ranged from 0.9 to 1.1 bar, after cleaning it was 1-1.3 bar.

The egr valves had been blanked by the previous owner so hopefully it wont get blocked again, but I'll be cleaning from time to time.

Many thanks to all involved in this post, I'll check what effect it has on the limp mode problem and mpg.

Post #180285312th Apr 2017 4:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Riggs

New Zealand 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Do the petrol engines have a MAP sensor? I thought all modern engines had them? The only thing i have been able to find so far is that it is a EGR/MAP sensor but havent been able to confirm.

Post #18216472nd Jun 2017 2:07 am
Mo

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks for the info! Cleaned mine too, loads of residue on it. Five (5) minutes job.

Post #183647413th Jul 2017 3:13 pm
JohnnyNapalm

Isle Of Man 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Good call

2005 2.7 TDV6. 93k and it was stinking.!

Post #183724715th Jul 2017 10:03 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

When I changed my MAP sensor 80k miles agony EGRs were blanked. The sensor I took out of the D3 when I stripped her was like new. Blanking EGRs deffo eliminates the gunk buildup. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #184009123rd Jul 2017 5:49 pm
D&G

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

The D3 was a bit sluggish yesterday, see other post, so thought I would clean the MAP sensor today. It was on the list anyway.

Not as gunked up as I had hoped for.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

A wipe down and cleaned the hole out. Not expecting it to make much of a difference.

I am wondering if Broadfields cleaned it up when they blanked the EGRs. It has done 123k so I suspect they did.
 An honorable defeat is better than a dishonorable victory.” ― Millard Fillmore

2006 Disco 3
Gas Gas 300ec / Gas Gas tx249 / Bandit 1250
XR 650r / Pajero 2.8 Lifted and Safari Snorkel-gone. 

Post #185133626th Aug 2017 10:43 am
Alphamale

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Riggs wrote:
Do the petrol engines have a MAP sensor? I thought all modern engines had them? The only thing i have been able to find so far is that it is a EGR/MAP sensor but haven't been able to confirm.

The 4.4 V8 petrol engines have a MAP, but the V6s don't seem to. It doesn't appear to get as badly contaminated with crud as the Diesels, but it's location at the rear of the inlet manifold, at the back of the engine, makes it a real B1tch to get at. You can't see it and it's hard to feel for it. In the end I had to use my Borescope both to find it and to help get it out.

When I did manage to get it out I found it was quite clean, but as it was in my hand I gave it a clean with contact cleaner. Putting it back was as hard as removal but manage it in the end.

I would say leave it alone, the petrol engine is cleaner than the diesel and not likely to soot up the MAP.

Post #185134826th Aug 2017 11:54 am
Jubbly

United Kingdom 

Cleaned mine up, 2011 97k miles.

Not remapped or egr blocked.

Jaguar I-Pace HSE imminent.
Gone HSE with Flappy Paddles. IID BT tool. RLD Spare Protector, Altox GPS.

Post #187789310th Nov 2017 11:19 am
Leungp

Hong Kong 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Thanks for the great tip. 8 5,000 km
Very gunky!
Seen to drive better.
Will try semi-synthetic 2 stroke oil when i find it.
Would someone please tell me how do I know when it's time to replace the egrs?

Post #189409826th Dec 2017 9:09 am
davidhem

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

So not being able to sleep much at the moment due to 3 rather large scars on the back of my head from an op, I was browsing the forum through the night, and read about cleaning the MAP sensor, I had the EGRs blanked last week and a BAS remap done which made the car much more perky, but maybe not as powerful as I would have hoped.

I cleaned the MAP sensor this morning, it was covered in oily gunk, I used brake cleaner and resisted putting anything in the hole, just kept spraying brake cleaner in it and tapping onto paper cloth.

Wow, what a difference, after the car had warmed up, I could tell the car was so much more urgent, I have no hesitation from standstill, and only need very small throttle movements to keep the car moving along, I dont think the mpg has improved per se, but the car is brilliant to drive now, much better of the mark than my 3.0D 8 speed D4 ever was. I never thought I would ever say that!!
 David

Post #197581120th Aug 2018 4:31 pm
tony gt

Wales 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

I read this topic on the forum and thought I would clean the sensor and see if there was any difference on my 56k Disco3.
Wont bother posting a picture as it looked like all the blocked up sooty ones already shown.
WHAT A DIFFERENCE!
Cant believe how fast it is now off the line. Its like an extra turbo has been added!

Said nowt to its other driver who promptly reported that "The car seems a bit nippier today".
Will have too wait and see if the thirst is any different.
Thanks to all who have brought this tweak to my attention.
One tip though on cleaning it, it is a sensor, the clue is in the name. It is sensitive, sticking a bit of wire or a drill bit into its orifice could result in a full failure. Just rely on the power of the WD40 jet or whatever cleaning fluid you use.
 RR classic, dead in Ireland,
TD300, sold to a friend but totally restored,
TD5, gone but still going,
Ginetta G27 v8,
Porsche boxter,
low cost track car,
Disco 3 2008 

Post #198347714th Sep 2018 5:07 pm
CVJase08

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I like hints tips, suggestions and doing things that make a difference.. I stumbled across this thread and thought why not give it a go..
MAP removal and replace was a breeze and although gunk’ed up (below pic), I was expecting much difference post clean for the little time and effort put in.

to my surprise the motor notably pics up much smoother and it more responsive... didn’t help with my temperamental EGR light but well worth giving it a go.. next job EGR!

Post #19903439th Oct 2018 4:19 pm
disco_shantz

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3

Hi there all. Had my 57 plate LR3 diesel with 98k miles for about a year now. Car started to feel sluggish.

I had a look at the Mass Air Flow sensor and there is a gloopy black glob at the base of the wire, doesn’t feel like it should be there, would I be right? I tried to spray it off with electrical contact cleaner but wouldn’t budge. I don’t want to touch it as the MAF sensor is very sensitive I understand. Should I replace it?

Tomorrow I’m going to clean the MAP sensor and see if that helps too.

Any advice gratefully received, thanks!

Post #199556027th Oct 2018 9:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 44 of 48 <123 ... 434445 464748>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >