Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Good Year or Pirelli Scorpion???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
AnitaD

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Good Year or Pirelli Scorpion???

Unsure what tyres to get, have stuck to the Pirrelli scorpion so far, but they're not wearing that well. I know its a heavy vehicle but any suggestions would be great. The garage have suggested I try Good Year...

Many Thanks Anita Thumbs Up
 Discovery 3, it does what it says it will

Anita Smile 

Post #4514709th Apr 2009 8:57 am
JPW

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

There are lots of different opinions but my experience having tried both is:

Pirrelli Scorpion - very slightly more road biased, better fuel economy

Goodyear Wrangler - very slight;ly better off road (partricularly on wet grass), slightly noiser, about 1mpg worse.

I've currently got Wranglers on, but considering going (back) to Scorpions next time.

As I said though, there will be loads of different opinions out there. No doubt others will be along soon with their thoughts Thumbs Up

Post #4514729th Apr 2009 9:06 am
cobblers

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Hi Anita,

I'm not an expert in this area, I am sure some will be along soon. The choice is often helped by a description of the types of terrain you will mostly be encountering. For me, it's 95% road and I have found the Pirelli's to be fine, and good for the 5% of other terrain types. On my Discovery 2 I used Michelin exclusively and found the Synchrone's and the newer Latitudes to give huge distances between changes. The D3 is heavier, so I'm not certain how these would fare, but could be worthy of consideration also.

Steve

Post #4514739th Apr 2009 9:08 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

I've been through 2 sets of the Pirelli Scorpions since new. The first set lasted about 22K miles but wore out prematurely due to suspension bush settle putting the suspension geometry out. 2nd set lasted about 28K miles.

I've fitted Vredestein Wintrac x-tremes now after reading many good reports about them. Strictly speaking, they're a winter tyre but others who have them say they are fine for all-year round use, and excellent in snow and ice conditions. They are also reported to be hard wearing. Not had mine on long (and just missed the worse of this year's snow Big Cry ) but so far, am very pleased with them. They generate a little more road noise than the Pirellis but other than that, I have not noticed any difference in the way the car handles or in fuel consumption. The tread pattern makes them looks as though they should as good, if not better, than the Scorpions off-road.

The best thing of all though is that, at the moment, they are cheaper than than most, if not all, of the established 'premium' brands such as Pirelli, Michelin, Goodyear etc. Thumbs Up
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #4514869th Apr 2009 9:51 am
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Michelin Latitude Tours (replaced the Synchrones) are good for 45K. Stick to country roads like glue and quiet and great handling on roads. Regularly in and out of muddy fields and never got stuck. Will probably stick AT2s on next time as they look 'arder Wink
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #4518699th Apr 2009 8:04 pm
icestationzebra

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I have just fitted new tyres, went for General Grabber UHP as most of my driving is on road and got a good price for them, not done much mileage but they seem nice and quiet on the road. Tried to get Vredesteins but told that there was a shortage and none expected for a couple of weeks but needed tyres to get through MOT. Have had Scorpion's on and got 24,000 miles from them-thats rubbish.

Post #4518789th Apr 2009 8:41 pm
mikep

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I don't consider I brake or corner hard but only got 18.5k miles on scorpion zeros, down to just under 2mm on fronts & 3.5mm rears, so trying Hankook Ventus 06 STs, 255/55/19/v/111, grip A, temp A, wear 420, recent date code, I've done about 1k miles so far and have not noticed any difference, just as quiet, steers well, feels safe in wet and dry. Bought on line £96 a corner, £16 del Citylink for 4 tyres, £8 a corner fitted locally. The tyre moulded finish is clean and good. I'll see how cost per mile works out £432 a set Thumbs Up compared to £600 to £744 quoted for Goodyear Pirelli Michelin. Big Cry
 Know your limitations, come closer to perfection.

Other wheels, Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird.

Other pleasures, SWMBO,......honest dear! 

Post #4519449th Apr 2009 10:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >