Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Good Year Wranglers - thumbs down!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
lad

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Good Year Wranglers - thumbs down!

Since its been snowing today, and its the first time out in the discovery in snow, i wasn't right happy with the traction or LACK of traction with the good year wranglers fitted to the rims. I turned into my parents road, at slow speed and with the program in snow and the landy nearly went straight on. On reversing up an incline ( 15 degrees) I really didn't have full control, wheels spinning and sliding about. The tyres have about 5-6mm tread still on them.
I used to have a range rover classic and that seemed alot better than the discovery. (can't remember what tyres that had)
I'm thinking of changing them, or at least getting another set of rims and having two sets, wranglers for summer and another set for winter.
Firstly, has anyone had problems with wranglers in snow, and what would anyone recommend for winter use? Had a quick search on here and found that vredstein xtreme seem to be a good choice, got a quote of £140 inc vat and fitted. Does that sound ok?
Any advice welcome and cheers for reading Thumbs Up

Post #4138612nd Feb 2009 9:45 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Shocked Got to be honest, I have virtually new Wranglers 19" and had no probs what so ever. But the D3 does install confidence in these conditions, and we all really need to heed the speed guys cos the D3 is great, but on road bias tyres we still are driving on the edge.

Post #4138682nd Feb 2009 9:49 pm
MacLeod 313

Additionally Goodyear MT/R is a great Winter off road tyre. Thats the way most have gone, and the MacLeod is going very soon

Post #4138752nd Feb 2009 9:54 pm
lad

The wranglers I have, are on 18 inch rims and I wouldn't think that would make any difference. I always take my time in snow as you know the landy is just short of 3 tons and no matter what tyres you have, if the landy slides there isn't much you can do to stop it. Oh I was driving in about 3-4inch of snow. Thinking about the tyres I had on the rangey, I'm sure they were good year.

Post #4138772nd Feb 2009 9:55 pm
JPW

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I had Goodyear Wranglers on today in the snow. I was quite impressed, whilst I'm sure they are not as good as a more off-road biased tyre they are better in the snow and on wet grass than the Scorpian Zeros I had on before.

I guess that in today's conditions whatever road biased tyres we're using will "let go" if you push it too fast.

Post #4138802nd Feb 2009 9:57 pm
lad

Just had a look at the tyres on the disco, they are good year wranglers HP all weather and have M+S on them. So they should be ok in mud and snow!

Post #4138842nd Feb 2009 9:58 pm
MacLeod 313

I agree with JPW, the Wranglers coped well for me today, but did'nt push them and was impressed with the ability of them. However if pushed the weight of the D3 and tyres could get you into trouble. Like I said the wranglers are a great tyre covering all weather types. If you want a specific tyre for the 18" or 19", I have heard great threads on the ATR and MTR mate.

Post #4138922nd Feb 2009 10:06 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I had Wranglers on my last D3 and they were very very good for an all round tyre. Used them in the snow too and the D3 never even lit the DSC or TC light.

Scorpions I found were not as good - now have AT2's and these were great today.

BUT, if there is no grip then even a dedicated tyre would have trouble - unless you have chains or studs.

Even a perceived slow speed may be too fast. Also coasting is not a good idea, DSC needs some throttle input to work its magic.

Post #4138942nd Feb 2009 10:11 pm
MacLeod 313

Bow down Simon

Post #4139002nd Feb 2009 10:14 pm
pcregeen

2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have to agree with Simon, there is a reason in the alps etc these guys all have chains. Mine are brand new AT2's and they struggled on my steep hill this afternoon. Reason was due to the snow earlier had slushed a little, then fresh snow on top has left an icy base to all the fresh stuff. Even MTR's can only do so much when it comes to ice

Pete

Post #4139022nd Feb 2009 10:16 pm
lad

I must add that, although I wasn't impressed about going up hill, (slippy sliding abit) i was impressed about coming back down again using the HDC. I suppose stopping ability is ALWAYS as must! But there is just 1 more thing, you can use HDC in any gear in low range but only in 1st and reverse in high, but I had HDC on in 2nd (high) and it did nip in to slow me down.

Post #4139042nd Feb 2009 10:20 pm
741hcr

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

I ran BFG All Terrains on my previous 4x4 for over seven years and they gave significantly better snow traction than the Wrangler tyres on the D3 and the tread self cleans far better too. I think the AT2's people refer to have a near enough identical tread to the BFG. If they did BFG in 255 profile I would certainly swap to them, but they don't.

Post #4139062nd Feb 2009 10:21 pm
POINTYED

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

hi
just drove home in heavy snow along back roads and motorway on my mtr's without any probs at all.love em!
even got a thumbs up off the copper when i had to creep past [with many others]the t Censored t who had skidded his x5 out of control on the ouside lane and put it on its side Rolling with laughter
wouldnt be without them now
dunc Thumbs Up
 life is tooooo short.enjoy the moment.dont worry be happy

club BSS 

Post #4139122nd Feb 2009 10:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pcregeen

2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

dunc

do me a favour, nip across pennines and tow me out the mess ive got myself into then

final comment, lot comes down to experience in this weather, i am 29 and Sh Censored t at driving in the snow

Pete

Post #4139162nd Feb 2009 10:27 pm
POINTYED

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

will be there in about 20 mins Rolling with laughter
dont put yourself down,were all sh Censored at driving in snow over here.we dont have enough of it and long enough to do any decent driving and learning
dunc Thumbs Up
 life is tooooo short.enjoy the moment.dont worry be happy

club BSS 

Post #4139192nd Feb 2009 10:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >