Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

Goosed Batteries
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Froogle-Yorkshireman

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Goosed Batteries

Guilty as charged Shocked

I pushed my luck and kept putting off getting the batteries swapped out on my 2016 Landmark.

Arrived at a clients yesterday and tried to move the vehicle to an alternative parking space and although I had just done an hours drive the battery finally called time out.

Not enough power to turn over the engine and met with loads of clicking and low battery warning.

LR Rescue came out and jumped the vehicle sending me on my way home for an appointment with my CTEK charger connected via Martins clever towing electrics connector.

It was an interesting drive home, more like a mobile disco with the centre console display flashing and clicking incessantly - quite unnerving.

Jumped into the vehicle this morning hoping that the CTEK had bought me some time but sadly not enough power and no chance of starting again.

I am booked into an Indy tomorrow for two new batteries, are there any tips / tricks I should know about?

Other than resetting the battery mgt that the Indy has already mentioned, is it likely that the sudden death of the battery has caused any other issues?

Im also thinking about asking the Indy to fit one of these to the Aux battery to make it easier for me to lift the bonnet and give it a charge every few months https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002X67JYE/ref...oFbHA8SA71 would there be any issues leaving this connected?

Any guidance as ever gratefully received.

Post #216845218th Aug 2020 11:15 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Both batteries on my last 2016 D4 were replaced between 30-35 months. Fortunately under warranty.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #216845318th Aug 2020 11:21 am
mjom89

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I have one of those connected to the D2 and haven't had any issues with it.

Post #216845518th Aug 2020 11:27 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I have Cetek connectors permanently wired to both batteries in my Disco & SL350, and to the single battery in my MG. Certainly worthwhile in my view.

I would go for Halfords replacement batteries for the 5 year guarantee - but you MUST keep the receipt. I scan it & save it, but print out a laminated copy of the receipt which is attached to or underneath the battery.

The main battery on my Landmark expired 2 weeks after the 3 year warranty expired. Evil or Very Mad

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #216846018th Aug 2020 12:07 pm
Froogle-Yorkshireman

Thanks for the replies. Halfords batteries look good just wouldn't totally trust Halfords to fit one sadly.

Dropped the vehicle with the Indy yesterday so that they can reset the error codes etc. They are running an overnight sleep test on it also.

I suppose when you break the cost of the batteries down over the years it's not too bad a running cost.

In terms of the new batteries and looking after them, is there any detriment in regularly charging a new battery - does it reduce life because you are increasing the number of charging cycles?

Is taking a voltage read from the aux power socket an accurate read or do you really need to pop the bonnet etc.

Post #216858519th Aug 2020 6:47 am
Skagg

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

If you go down the Halford route make sure you have a Halfords trade card & save yourself 20%

Free to register in store & online IIRC

Cheers n Gone Nick Thumbs Up
 MY16 D4 Landmark SDV6 (The Ice Maiden)
Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
MY08 D3 HSE Stornoway (Miss Moneypit) The money tree withered...... 

Post #216860319th Aug 2020 10:45 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >