Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Got Turbochip, Got Massive Permagrin!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
dannyboy

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Got Turbochip, Got Massive Permagrin!!

Hi guys / gals, had the Disco 3 Turbochipped 2 weeks ago by Rob Lane (tasmod), and thought I would report on my findings. Very Happy

My car is a manual and must say that in its original form I never really had the slow set off problem that goes with the Auto's that I have driven, maybe this is due to subconsciously riding the clutch on set off, or the mapping of the auto box??

I did feel the unmapped car was quite unwilling mid range and it felt like the engine had nothing after 4,000 rpm, making overtaking a bit of a chore.

However, after the re-map, what a difference!! Shocked , the car is so much more pleasurable to drive, the engine revs far more freely, and really pulls mid range way past 4,000 rpm, making overtaking an absolute doddle. Motorway driving is amazing, a gentle squeeze of the loud pedal and the shove is amazing. That will be the extra 50bhp and 120nm then!! 8)
I had a BMW 530d remapped a few years ago and the engine sounded noisier and less refined, so this was a concern. Rob gave me the keys to his TDV6 RRS and after I went for a blast down the road, my mind was put at ease. And after 2 weeks of driving the D3, the engine is as refined as ever and smoke free.

The whole process took around 20 mins, and Rob gave me a great price too. Also, as usual for T/Chip, the map will be uploaded FOC if the dealer overwrites it.

I would fully recommend the T/Chip to anyone, and you wont go wrong with Rob Lane, I found him a really friendly and helpful guy, superb, Thanks Rob!! Thumbs Up

If anyone is thinking of a T/Chip in the Yorkshire area and would like to try my D3 then PM me and I will be more than happy for you to try it. Wink
 Favourite Things:-

Family
My Disco 3
Chocolate
Wine
Chocolate
My Disco 3
Holidays
Time off.........and did I mention My Disco 3?? 

Post #1363756th Mar 2007 11:55 pm
Dave

United Kingdom 

Great stuff Danny,

I am sure it is an improvement as I do find the pause a bit annoying and I can't help thinking overtaking could be a little easier...but it is by no means bad by my standards as I also drive crap cars and the D3 is fast in comparison

Great Avatar Thumbs Up

Post #1363787th Mar 2007 12:08 am
BarryG

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

dannyboy. Well done mate good review ...

Unlike you though I have a lot of Black Smoke.... At this stage Im not sure..
Can someone perhaps give me a reason for this .. or offer up some sort of suggestion.
I know that this question has been asked here 100"s ot times .... but I have never got
an answer ...... anyone (turbochip or a dealer) any views.

Some pople have no smoke and other have smoke .... this is the same TDV6 we all have ? yes
there is only one version of Turnochip remap ? yes

As I said I know this question is old , perhaps played out even ..... but is there an answer ?

Post #1363797th Mar 2007 12:11 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

dannyboy,

Any noticable difference on fuel economy in the manual?
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #1363947th Mar 2007 12:51 am
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Barry, I guess it's more peoples opinions of what a lot of smoke is. The amount of smoke will also depend on the RPM, load, etc. I would consider it normal for a small amount of smoke under hard accelleration on a chipped vehicle. Even unchipped D3s smoke some at high RPM/high load as is common for diesels. I only get smoke in mine when flooring it - during normal driving there is no smoke. During daylight, if flooring it from stop, a small amount of black smoke is visible in the mirrors. I can only see the smoke in any other conditions in the headlights of a following car in the night.

A lot of smoke to me would be a cloud that stops you seeing the vehicles behind you in the mirrors! If this is the case with yours, I'd be worried! Wink

I've followed other TC'd D3s and the smoke seems the same as mine, only visible when overtaking with foot to the floor. I've followed non-tc'd D3s as well, and they smoke some too when overtaking, just not as much.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #1363957th Mar 2007 12:56 am
dannyboy

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yes Wiggs, forgot to mention that small point, got a bit carried away with all that performance!!, Driven normally I am showing a 4mpg improvement on the trip computer, this is reset when the remap is done. I do tend to drive with a heavy right foot and am making use of that extra power, but the wife drives steady away and can get 29mpg on short runs, previously would be 24 - 26 mpg same trips.

Also top gears 5th and 6th are far more usable as there is so much torque available so I am sure this helps mpg a fair bit. Very Happy
 Favourite Things:-

Family
My Disco 3
Chocolate
Wine
Chocolate
My Disco 3
Holidays
Time off.........and did I mention My Disco 3?? 

Post #1363977th Mar 2007 12:59 am
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Got Turbochip, Got Massive Permagrin!!

dannyboy wrote:

However, after the re-map, what a difference!! Shocked ,

Welcome to the TC club, Oh dannyboy.
 CLUB "Ah Shor it'll be grand"

First D3 in the World with a Hydraulic Winch.
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S Auto,
Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.
Other toys include, Argo Avenger 8x8, Tatra 6x6 Motorhome (Being Built) 

Post #1364007th Mar 2007 1:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Barry G,

Smoke after a remap is a subjective issue and unfortunately a downside of some remaps which use generic tuning files for their remaps. I suggest you speak to TC and see if they can identify the software in your car and make you a 'one off' lower smoke remap. This may be the only way to resolve your smoke issue
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #1364157th Mar 2007 9:27 am
tasmod

Thanks for the feedback, glad you are pleased.

Barry G

Regarding the smoking issue, a bit of background.

You'll all have heard of the difference in vehicles as they leave the factory, some of them called 'Monday morning cars' or 'Friday afternoon' if they are cr*p.

Well the same can be said of engines. Some vehicles perform better than standard, albeit maybe in just overall responsiveness rather than power.

This is down to engineering tolerances and the chance happening of components matching spot on during assembly. Parts do run in and bed down to a good tune after mileage, which is why I tell the clients it will also improve over the first week as the mileage changes and the tune 'settles'.

For 'stock' racing where no 'tuning' is allowed top racers completely dismantle an engine and buy parts to exact tolerances, sometimes buying or begging to measure many parts in the stock bin. This is known as 'Blueprinting' an engine.

Now, a generic map as Chris is fond of saying is a 'one for all' tune. i.e. the same map is loaded in each vehicle based upon performance ratings through a range of vehicles tested. Each obviously having it's own differences.
With this in mind the results will always be different, which is why I suggest improvements that vary slightly according to vehicle. I don't claim 'best' case condition on BHP.

A 'Custom' map is one which is ideally done under 'rolling road' conditions and real time alterations to fuelling etc. to suit the one vehicle

The downside is the prohibitive cost. There are rolling road charges, operator time and vehicle costs.

I know about costs, I've been there done that and still do. I have a sprint car which is rolling road set up at beginning of every season, it's due soon, fortunately it is standard tune and doesn't require development runs.

All diesels emit smoke, the quantity however is down to engine and state of tune.

Please don't consider darkness driving as a subjective view. The smoke from a standard vehicle under acceleration is visible in headlights behind you. This is down to reflections or lack of in the smoke particulates.

A mapped vehicle will emit a certain amount of smoke under hard acceleration, this is down to the sudden increase of fuel applied on demand, coupled with complete burning of the mixture. If it wasn't completely burned it would emit white or blue smoke badly. Sometimes seen from buses and lorries due for service.

I would suggest that the vehicle in question is in good state of tune and is completely burning the mixture however the fuel sensor is calling for a tad too much fuel.

I seem to remember yours was done as an ECU out remap. Maybe a change to a diagnostic map would help, although I doubt it. It is in all likelyhood down to your engine tolerances and performance with the map.

Ring the number in the banner for head office and talk to Nick, he should help.

Sorry if this bores you all, I just wanted to clear things up.

Rob Lane (tasmod and D-Tech)

Post #1364267th Mar 2007 10:07 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Nice sig line Danny but "family" over Disco 3??? Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post #1364317th Mar 2007 10:17 am
fisherman

Wales 

I'm also a couple of weeks or so into my remap, and I can't think of a bad thing to say about it.
The pull from the engine has just got better and better, I have not been aware of any smoke either before or after the remap under normal driving conditions, and haven't looked for it. I was provoked into a bit of drag racing against an Astra sport last night. Now I really didn't expect to be racing this guy but somehow he just managed to give me the right hump driving like a total numpty. We squared up at a set of lights and he hit the go pedal on amber, I hadn't even shifted to sport mode and simply floored the pedal (don't know why really??? just a reaction) and blew him away big time. The moment was one of sheer bliss for about 10 seconds and then I though, what the hell am I doing. I could have got into all kinds of Censored behaving like an idiot, which is why he wound me up in the first place.
I like to think I'm above all that stuff, but for that 10 seconds guys it was "look at me Ma, I'm on top of the world"
When all was done I just slowed down and ignored him as he drove past. I may or may not have looked smug, I really can't remember!
Point being that his car was a late model Sport jobbie with a dustbin for an exhaust and I had 3 tons of farming equipment. It has to say something for the D3 and a TC remap. Very Happy
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #1364477th Mar 2007 10:41 am
LRtuning

Any experienced tuner is well aware that there will always be 'rogue' cars that dont respond to tuning as expected. I have tuned 1000's of cars over the years and I occassionally see a car that either under performs or one that goes 'too well'...and the only way to deal with a vehicle like that is to provide a 'tailor made' remap where the software is adjusted for less boost, more fuel, lower smoke etc etc.

As I said Barry, TC can identify the software in your car and they can make a 'one off' map for your car as it will probably solve the problem.

I myself did a TDV8 with my autologic tool in Holland and it was far too smokey even though I had used the software on 4 other vehicles with the same LR software codes....I then had to reduce the fuelling slightly on this car and it cured the problem.

As Rob says go back to TC and see what they can do for you and keep us posted :-0
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #1364567th Mar 2007 11:05 am
pdes

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Apart from the obvious performance benefits, how can an "outsider" tell whether the vehicle has been chipped. Is there some sort of information read-out that shows that this has happened? I realise that a LR engineer with the appriopriate black box could see the software version number but what about others? I was watching a thread that discussed the extra insurance premiums for a re-mapped vehicle but wondered how anyone would know that this had been carried out.

Post #1364597th Mar 2007 11:13 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Only by driving it as far as I understand......
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #1364617th Mar 2007 11:22 am
LRtuning

Pdes,

Tuners will always try to maintain the original LR software number so that when a car is serviced by LR then the software number will appear the same. Some tuners so leave a signature in their software but as LR dealer tools do not look for this then the only way to tell if a car is chipped is too drive it vesrus a known standard car
Post #1364777th Mar 2007 12:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >