Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

GPS Repeater/Booster - No more problems with iPhone GPS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
dgarside

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
GPS Repeater/Booster - No more problems with iPhone GPS

I don't post that often as new posts, but I thought this might help quite a few of you who are having problems with good GPS signal or accurate positioning when using an iPhone or similar in the Disco 4 for SatNav.

I've struggled for a long while and was well aware that it was to do with the windscreen used on the Disco 4 and is mentioned all over the internet.

Anyway...... I decided to see if I could get a GPS booster for the interior of the D4.

I purchased a LySignal GPS Booster - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lysignal-1575-42M...amp;sr=8-1

It's comprised of a magnetic externally mounted (or internal if you really desire) receiver which I have mounted next to the LR GPS antenna on the roof, brought the cable in via the rubber grommet used for the rear centre light wires, and then routed down the rear pillar, along the side of the vehicle and then underneath the tread plates by the doors to the front passenger foot well. The second part of it is the transmitter and USB power connection. To fit this with least cables showing, I removed the centre console (with the gear selector in) and then the right hand side vent/cover at the side of the steering wheel. I then mounted the transmitter inside on the right hand side (3m sticker on the rear of the transmitter), routed the aerial from the rear through to the bottom of the centre console and mated it up with the connector from the transmitter. The USB I brought through on the bottom right of the coin drawer, so it is just next to a mini USB power adapter I have.

I'll post pictures tomorrow hopefully, but now I've got 75% to 100% signal (based on a GPS test app I've purchased) and accuracy is now down to 5 to 9 metres near enough solid all the time.

Cost £22 + cost of USB power adapter if you don't already have one (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-RAVPower-Adapter-Chargers-2-port/dp/B00Q2GFP4M/ref=pd_sim_23_6/259-1504395-2222661?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00Q2GFP4M&pd_rd_r=2f1de08b-6eaf-11e9-8c5a-d706e463e9e0&pd_rd_w=bYUM7&pd_rd_wg=K3z1w&pf_rd_p=1b8636ae-4f21-4403-a813-e8849dd46de4&pf_rd_r=6W48XEQ4QT1XDMW795TM&psc=1&refRID=6W48XEQ4QT1XDMW795TM)
 RLD CB Bracket
RLD Spare Wheel Protector
RLD Sump Protector
ProSpeed Compressor Cover
TPMS Retrofit
Range Rover Digital Dash Upgrade
Tesla Style Android Screen Upgrade 

Post #20508304th May 2019 9:54 pm
TigerRecovery

Wales 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

That sounds good. I need to do something similar for my APRS dual band radio as it has a built in GPS sensor which struggles to find where the car is. I've never had any issues with iPhone or iPad for positioning and I used ViewRanger mapping software on my iPad a lot.
 1972 Range Rover Classic 2 door V8
2013 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - SCRAPPED
2016 Land Rover Discovery 4 Landmark
2022 Volvo XC40 T5 PHEV 282HP FWD 3 cylinder! 

Post #20508434th May 2019 10:59 pm
Gadgetnut

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks dgarside.

I have a speed warning function on my phone SatNav as the LR system does not have it and when mounted near the dash, reception (and hence warnings) is rather intermittent.

Will try this out.
 D1 3Door (White) Long gone
D1 3 Door (Red) Long gone
D2 5 Door (Charleston Green) Long gone
D4 HSE (Black) 

Post #20509555th May 2019 5:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >