DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

What a great car
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
qwick69

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
What a great car

Now I know why I love the D4.
Despite terrible after sales, despite terrible dealerships, despite quality issues.....I can live with all that as the D4 is one supurb car.
Just driven to and from the Swiss Alps, 7 people in the car...all their luggage on large top box, 5 mountain bikes on back of car, camping gear on rack....Did over 2000miles in one week....and EVERYONE was comfortable. It also avaraged 24mpg, which is pretty good with all that weight and bulk.
What other car could do that....
The only car that I could compare it to is a Toyota Landcruier Amazon which I had previously...but they are over £15k more, and dont drive as well.
The ONLY thing the D4 lacked was rear Air Con....
It climbed really steep hills fully loaded, it went off road in the mountains, it cruised at 85mph on Motorways....
It would be the PERFECT car if it were not for the Dealers....
Still.....I only see them two or three thimes a year for a service, and to buy a vehicle every 3 years, so I think I can put up with that little irratant.
Just had to let people know....but then, most of you are probably aware anyhow Laughing

Post #95942727th Jul 2012 11:04 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

No at all bad are they!

Now in my 7th consecutive year of D3/D4 ownership for similar reasons to yourself....
.... it does it all Thumbs Up

oh, and I've also got a cracking dealer Wink
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #95944027th Jul 2012 11:38 am
SimonR

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Have to agree and I've only had the D4 for a month

Am looking forward to our holiday in France - wife, 3 kids, 5 bikes and roof box - should be about 1200 miles of driving pleasure

The D3 was great for 5 years but this is even better

Have to agree about the LR dealer - our local is one of the worst companies I have ever had to deal with in my life - I even try to avoid having anything to do with them.
 D4 2010 HSE Santorini Black
D3 2005 SE Java Black - p/x to D4
D2 2001 GS - p/x to D3
D1 1998 - p/x to D2

Post #95948127th Jul 2012 1:07 pm
A1GSS

England 

Simon, maybe you should try Lookers in Bishops Stortford. Bit further for you to go, but I've had great service from them so you may find them better than the Chelmsford boys...
 ____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey 

Post #95948327th Jul 2012 1:20 pm
qwick69

I live in the cambridge area...unfortunately, ALL the L/R dealers are Marshalls... I will never use them after terrible experiences in the past
When I bought my car, I tried lookers, but they were not really bothered. I had to chase them three times just to get a price !!!!
I then tried the Chelmsford Dealer.....after phoning and chasing, they never even bothered to return my calls.
I think half the problem, is that these dealers dont have to sell the cars, they sell themselves. They can just sit back and let the orders come to them... they dont seem to want to do any more than the minimum on customer service.
Thats fine when demand is so high, but if things flatten off, they will then start to cry !!!!
So...unfortunately, I now classify all L/R dealers the same... maybe a little unfiar, I am sure somewhere out there is a good one.. but there are non around here !!

Post #95949127th Jul 2012 1:41 pm
nearly50

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Got back on Sunday from a 3500 mile round trip through France, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Italy and back into France. Spent two weeks in an Umbrian villa, touring the local sites. Six people in the car with all luggage (I don't like roof boxes) having instructed all to pack light. 30 mpg average is pretty good for a car that probably weighed 3500kg loaded.

Everyone comfortable and happy but, the satnav is very clumsy and slow. Not a patch on my wife's 7 series system. It's big advantage in terms of minimising fatigue is the suppression of noise and vibration. No one complained about the car once.

Post #95949727th Jul 2012 1:56 pm
Paul White

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Ottons, Salisbury! Thumbs Up

Paul

Post #95949827th Jul 2012 1:57 pm
A1GSS

England 

I bought ours from Marshalls in Cambridge, I thought they were OK at the time, good immediately post-sale, but were poor for the first service, and not interested at all when I wanted a range rover as well...
 ____

Post #95949927th Jul 2012 1:58 pm
A1GSS

England 

nearly50 wrote:
..., the satnav is very clumsy and slow...

Lots of TomTom fans on here for that reason...
 ____

Post #95950027th Jul 2012 1:59 pm
qwick69

Sounds like you took a similar route to me back from Switzerland...
I left Switzeland on Monday, dropped a couple of people off at Geneva, then programmed Sat Nav to take me to Calais WITHOUT going through tolls.... So..Switzeland, France, Switzerland, Luxumburgh, Germany, Belguim, France.... 16 hrs !!!! and only 2 Euros, mind you spent another £50 on fuel Rolling with laughter
As for Marshalls, wanted to place an order for 2 Volvos.... went to dealer, salesman outside smoking. When they eventually came in, I couldnt stand the smell of smoke, so left and decided to try and deal with them by phone.
Phoned at 9.30am in the morning with an order to place for the two cars, i new exactly what spec, could be any colour. Gave details to reception who said she would get someone else to phone me back.
By 4.30pm I gave up (I had chased at mid day). Phoned another Volvo Dealer in Bedford...Sorted in half an hour, cars delivered 2 weeks later.
Since then, I have placed orders for two more Volvos.... This happened previously when I tried to buy a Ford for my mum...

Post #95950527th Jul 2012 2:15 pm
APL

France 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I think all Discoverys share the same basic design qualities, and that the D4 is the cream of the lot at the moment, have been all over Europe in the ones I've owned and also had hired examples in places further afield.....

Even my father agrees that the Discovery is the perfect touring vehicle in Europe/elsewhere........!
 2016 Discovery 4 Commercial
2019 Discovery 5 HSE 

Post #95951927th Jul 2012 3:31 pm
oldbarn

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

We have a 2012 D4 after moving from a D3 and in 2000 miles have found everything to be superb. What a great car.

Post #96025329th Jul 2012 12:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Plane Fixer

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Picked up a new D4 in March and now touring around Australia. Just turned over 20,000km with about 6000km to get home. Fuel economy has been 11.0/100km 28MPG.
I have been on some terrible roads and has performed brilliantly although I have one niggle as the aircon is not very precise as up or down 1 degree C will sometimes cook or freeze you.
It has been a joy to drive such a powerful and comfortable car and overtaking 3 and 4 trailer road trains is a breeze. It has fulfilled all my expectations.
 Fuji White D4 2012. Reversing camera, E-diff, Hi-line sound, Xenon lights, ARB bullbar with Lightforce xenon lights and cargo barrier
Grey nomad and yarn master. 

Post #9633937th Aug 2012 2:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >