Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Green lanes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
tony bennett

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hmmmm, Tim.
Big decision.... As I'm booked for xmas in Melbourne and New Year in Christchurch should I pop by Fraser instead of the Whitsundays. Very Happy

Thanks for the pics, if I ever meet up with you I have a years worth of LROC.Vic I can dump...err let you have Very Happy
Now wheres the rules for migration, do they take 50 year old white male 4x4 drivers Rolling Eyes
 regards
tony
05 "Battlestar Galactica"
In 7 years ownership
09/13 New Battery (I did that)
11/13 new alternator. (I did that)
2 x EGR Blanked. (I did that ) 

Post #5372017th Apr 2006 11:44 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Re: Green lanes

croyde wrote:
What type of marking denotes a Green Lane on an OS map. 2cms to 1 km.

Cheers.

Croyde, on a 1:50,000 OS Landranger map (ie 2cm = 1 km) a green lane can be shown in one of 5 ways, these are either simply a "white road", which can indicate an unclassified country road with public rights for motor vehicles. However a private road would be shown in the same way, so this is far from fool proof. A BOAT (byway open to all traffic) is shown by a series of pinkish +-+-+-+-+ signs. A RUPP (Road used as a public path) is shown by a series of pinkish dot dash dot dash dot dash signs (like a mixture of footpath dots (or short dashes) and bridleway dashs. The fourth and often most reliable indicator of a green lane, that has only relatively recently been shown on OS maps is a series of pinkish dots, where the dots are quite widely spaced. This is described on the map as "Other routes with public access". Typically that means a route with higher access rights than a footpath or a bridleway, ie often meaning a Byway. Our local rights of way officer at Northumberland told me that he has notified OS of such routes only where he feels that the route itself is passable by a 4x4. If the route is not, in his opinion, passable, he has not notified OS of that route. Ridiculous that isn't it. The fifth type of marking that MAY indicate a green lane is then a black dashed line. However this is probably the least reliable of the lot, as that same marking could mean many different things.

All of the above is however pretty unreliable as many RUPP's and even BOATS are now closed (but still marked up on OS maps). The only way to know for sure is to visit your local rights of way officer (usually based in your local county hall) and ask to see a copy of "The Definitive Map". That should show what you want, although in my experience it ain't nearly as comprehensive, clear or clever as it might sound.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #5442822nd Apr 2006 8:14 pm
croyde

Thanks Smarticus.

I have an Explorer map of the area that I am interested in, 4cms to 1km. There are alot of roads marked with green dashes with crosses through them.

I explored one of them which was a badly surfaced road then a muddy track leading to a Youth Hostel. After about a mile though we came to a cattle grid and a sign saying National Trust Area. Although the map said that the road led to the next village, we thought it prudent not to carry on.

Post #5446523rd Apr 2006 10:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >