Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Hand brake /epb clunking noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Rocky2397

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Hand brake /epb clunking noise

Morning, yesterday I fitted new hand brake shoe retaining clips to the near side rear wheel as the the old ones decided to detach themselves last week,
All refitted A OK but this morning the wife's gone to work and now when the epb is engaged there is a noise then a clunking sound from under the rear of the car.
Will have to wait until she returns later to check it out but was wandering if there's any advice in the mean time, thanks Chris.

Post #194692921st May 2018 6:35 am
CoopLR3

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

I had a squeaky noise from a rear wheel for a while. Research suggested it could indicate a simple Pbrake cleaning and adjustment, but I didn't get around to it. My Pbrake eventually locked up, requiring me to use the release cable under the console.

I now have the "Actuator Screech", which is a loud electric motor noise in the rear followed by a clunk. There is a TSB on this, No.LTB00079v6/2009 "EPB Actuator Screech/Noise from Parking Brake Drum/Shoe Drag". Sounds like what you're describing.

I am currently trying to get the rear rotors (disks) off so I can inspect my parking brakes, but they are stuck. I'll be following your thread and let you know what I find in my LR3.

Post #194714021st May 2018 11:08 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I recently had a D3 come in with hand brake shoe retainers failing due to rust. In this case the retainers / springs fell loose and became entangled in just about everything causing damage to the shoes, backplate, discs, and a few other bits. End result was a stripped shoe lining which eventually locked up the n/s rear wheel.

If the clips had been replaced (€7) when last serviced there would not have been the need to replace Discs, Pads, backplates, wheel bearings, upper and lower knuckles, hand brake shoes, cables, brake pipes, brake lines, etc,etc. If I remember rightly I think the parts came in at just over €1,000 plus labour. A lesson in how a cheap, inexpensive, basic maintenance item can become a hugely expensive one when ignored!

Post #194726522nd May 2018 3:01 pm
CoopLR3

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

I inspected both parking brakes this weekend. They are toast. Missing clips, seized levers, seized adjuster wheels, delaminated shoes, severe rust everywhere... no wonder my actuator was screeching and thumping. Disappointed, as the dealer I bought it from last year said they replaced all the brakes. They obviously didn't replace any hardware. Words to the wise, Prof G, well taken.

I'm ordering a shoe & hardware kit, including backing plates. Hopefully the actuator and cables aren't damaged too. In your case, Rocky, you replaced the retaining clips on one side, might be the next weakest link is going or you need to readjust now that things have settled in. Interested to hear what you find out...

Post #194861627th May 2018 10:10 pm
PROFSR G

Hope it goes well for you, make sure you put the vehicle into service mode, and then observe the bedding in procedure when done.

Post #194862127th May 2018 11:15 pm
Rocky2397

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Found out that the clunking is just the brake shoe binding as the hand brake is applied BUT the damed thing know as the actuator fault “I think” when you turn the engine off it keeps screeching like a bloody banshee, Away for a week at the moment so will have to cheek when I get home just not applying the hand brake until then.

Post #194865628th May 2018 8:53 am
PROFSR G

Sounds like you'd be as well off to strip both sides, hopefully the module is OK.

Post #194867528th May 2018 10:03 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >