Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Hard and fast technical info about the park brake?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Good idea ..but then you wont get them nice power point presentation slides Sad

I have PM 'd Martin about the docs Thumbs Up as it would be good for everyone ( well almost everyone Laughing )
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #3568538th Oct 2008 2:14 pm
Harlequin

United Kingdom 

Here's another slant on the EPB. My D3 is 18 months old and has done just over 28k miles. Until recently, I hadn't had a problem with the brake until - a few days ago - it started to 'clunk' as it reached the end of its travel when being applied. It didn't do it every time - just now and again. Anyway - I though that it wasn't that serious and I would mention it when I put the Disco in for service.
Last Thursday, I am in the middle of a very busy junction in the middle of Hull - right hand filter at traffic lights. Applied the brake - waited for the lights - they change to green - and off I go. Except I didn't.
The brake had locked up solid and wouldn't release no matter how many times I flicked the switch. Tried driving off - including in low ratio and the car wouldn't budge an inch.
So there am I talking to LRA on the phone with traffic blasting their horns and forcing their way past me -it was pretty horrendous.
Anyway, whilst I am talking and flicking the brake switch up and down - lo and behold, it clears - and I am off again.
When I get back to the office and ring my favourite dealer, I am told that it's probably an adjustment issue and that LR wouldn't cover stripping down the brake unless a service is done at the same time because they would argue that the service was nearly due and therefore it was a service issue. Whilst I wasn't too chuffed with this explanation, I accepted it because the dealer has always provided excellent service (and value) in the past.
Service now done - brake seems to be OK - but very disconcerting when it happened.
 I was taught to be cautious.  
Post #3568908th Oct 2008 4:35 pm
colinm

England 

From what I have seen so far the actuator has a force sensor to allow it to modulate the cable tension but it has no position sensing so is not able to detect a cable adjustment problem. If you disconnected one of the cables it would seemingly actuate in the apply direction and keep running until the nut/threaded rod (that do the pulling) reach the mechanical limit and stall the motor. My experience of rod and nut servos (for radio control applications - don't ask! Very Happy ) is that having hit the mechanical stop like that it's not guaranteed that reversing the servo will unlock it as the inertia of the motor can really lock the thing up tight. The documentation actually warns technicians from operating the unit with a cable disconnected as it can damage it.

I wonder if the noise you were hearing was the actuator starting to reach its limits of travel and that it finally got to the point where it could lock itself up.

Post #3569338th Oct 2008 6:47 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

There's a spring clutch unit between the motor and the splined drive - thats what causes the noise...

Post #3570218th Oct 2008 9:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
colinm

England 

Quote:
There's a spring clutch unit between the motor and the splined drive - thats what causes the noise...

Interesting - I can find no mention of it in any of the documentation. Have you any more details of it?

Post #3571018th Oct 2008 10:32 pm
NJF

TFC wrote:
There's a spring clutch unit between the motor and the splined drive

I haven't a clue what that means. He's a boffin. Not a single mention of a thingummywhatchumaflip. Bow down

Post #3571048th Oct 2008 10:38 pm
10forcash

Its part of the EPB gearbox (item 6) between the motor & splined drive
Logically, there has to be a clutch to prevent motor stall and overheat in the event of over-extending the PB cables prior to force threshold being reached

Post #3571158th Oct 2008 10:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

wiggs wrote:
... as it would be good for everyone ( well almost everyone Laughing )

James May wrote:
cock Rolling Eyes

Post #3571168th Oct 2008 10:58 pm
colinm

England 

10forcash wrote:
Its part of the EPB gearbox (item 6) between the motor & splined drive
Logically, there has to be a clutch to prevent motor stall and overheat in the event of over-extending the PB cables prior to force threshold being reached

Well, it would be extremely easy to do both the torque limitation and overheating protection electronically by motor current monitoring/control (electric window-lifters all work this way). The high pitched scream could originate from the PWM bridge drive to the motor. Unfortunately a slipping clutch does not guarantee that you will not get the threaded drive hung up at one end especially as such clutches tend to become 'handed' after some use and this applies even for a ball-screw drive as per NC routers etc.

Post #3571278th Oct 2008 11:12 pm
NJF

OK, that's enough. Does anyone on the site speak English? Big Cry

Post #3571318th Oct 2008 11:20 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

10forcash wrote:

James May wrote:
cock Rolling Eyes

And yes your are being one !!!

"**coming soon! Fire pump maintenance!!** No idea what i'm doing but I can talk a good job!"

Oh very mature Thud
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #3571348th Oct 2008 11:28 pm
colinm

England 

NJF wrote:
OK, that's enough. Does anyone on the site speak English? Big Cry
Being in Luxembourg I would have thought you would be into linguistic diversity Mr. Green  
Post #3572609th Oct 2008 10:50 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >