Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Hard and fast technical info about the park brake?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
colinm

England 
Hard and fast technical info about the park brake?

Although there is a lot of information about people having problems with this there seems to be a lack of detailed technical info about the system. Searching the web does not come up with any pictures of the servo for example. About the most useful thing I have found is this youtube clip:-
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fcV6vCnib9o
Posted by a LR technician and in the comments he says "Anyone with a discovery 3 has more than likely experienced problems with the electronic park brake such as a loud squeeling noise from the rear when the switch is pulled. " - just what we all want to hear Smile

Also, a bit later on he says "The fault was in the actuator itself, the gears had sheared and it wouldn't drive to the latch position. I work at a landy dealer in south wales. "

So, at least we have it on reasonable authority that there is a latch position for the servo but not much else!

The questions I have are:-
a) Is the servo the same as the one used on the Jaguars? and do they have a similar proportion of failures? If not, why not?

b) Is there really a slipping clutch in the servo? it would seem to me that limiting the forces electronically (i.e controlling the servo motor drive current) would be an easier way to do this. If there is no clutch in the servo then are the screaming noises always the servo gears skipping? If so does this not mean the servo gears need replacing whenever a servo screams as they can hardly be designed to skip without damage.

c) Does adjusting the linkage to overcome screaming simply move the servo operating range to a bit that still has some teeth and if so is this acceptable from a safety point of view?

Post #3562607th Oct 2008 9:01 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Your best bet for everything technical inc the EPB, is to subscribe to LR's GTR resource.

Post #3562617th Oct 2008 9:13 am
colinm

England 

Thanks Simon - I'll cough up my 8 quid when I have more time to search the documents for what I want (who said I was mean Smile )
I must say that it's good that they allow Joe Public access to the workshop manuals. Most car manufacturers are a bit protective of that sort of information.

Post #3562837th Oct 2008 10:05 am
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Shocked

That "screamer" sounds like two Jack Russells having an argument.

Mine and the only others I have heard was/were much more like an elongated Psycho® shower-scream.

Are there two different types of screaming malfunction?
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #3562877th Oct 2008 10:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Mine has started to squeal again Sad
Anyone know how to adjust it
 Pete  
Post #3562947th Oct 2008 10:34 am
colinm

England 

AndrewW wrote:
Shocked

That "screamer" sounds like two Jack Russells having an argument.

Mine and the only others I have heard was/were much more like an elongated Psycho® shower-scream.

Are there two different types of screaming malfunction?

Very good question! I can't help feeling that with a bit more info about the servo we could work this out - perhaps the type of scream is indicative of which stage in the servo gear-train is stripped (early stage = psycho; late stage = Jack Russells? ) Smile

Post #3563037th Oct 2008 10:54 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Pm me an email address and i will forward you all the info you need . Thumbs Up
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #3563197th Oct 2008 11:44 am
MARKW

United Kingdom 

I recently went on an LRE day. In the shed where they did the maint was a row of about 1/2 dozen new EPB systems ready to fit. Sort of tells you that when LRE are holding that much in stock there must be a serious problem.
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #3563327th Oct 2008 12:28 pm
WaznotWas

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Since playing at the LRO show my EPB has had intermittent terriers but I think they were tearing someone apart too Shocked

I arrived home last night and drove onto the drive. As I did my daughter and 2 mates turned up in the friends fiesta.

As they were getting out of it I pullled the switch and watched in the mirror as 3 terrified faces lept away from her car thinking it was going to blow up or something until they realised during the last dying screaming breaths of whatever the terriers were killing was coming from under the back of mine Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

She thought I'd run over our cat Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Well it amused me...... Thumbs Up
 FORECAST FOR TONIGHT: things have happened out there!!!
The countryside is still OURS!!
Club 3 Musketeers, Club D3C, Club Midland CB, Club Vertex PMR, Club GNVP Sump Plate, Club GNVP Sliders, Club Uncle Ray Spare Wheel Protector, Club Smooth Steering Wheel, Club McStuckie
07 HSE Z Silver, black leather, Black RRS badges,
19" anthracite wheels - off, 18" Silver / General AT2's - on,
300 TDI Disco 1 - Sheltering the lawn! 

Post #3563607th Oct 2008 2:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Wiggs Thumbs Up
 Pete  
Post #3567748th Oct 2008 9:25 am
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up
good info.
Post #3567818th Oct 2008 9:53 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

This is an important issue affecting many D3s, so please share the information publicly (not just via PM) so everyone can benefit.

Thanks.
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #3567938th Oct 2008 10:12 am
colinm

England 

Thanks Wiggs!

Its taking a while to sift through the info but it seems to me that the adjustment is critical and once in service relies on the operation of the self-adjusters to keep it within tolerance. Given how unreliable self-adjusters can be on manual handbrakes I wonder if many of the problems are down to slightly sticky self-adjusters.

As with so many things all it may require is a Censored with a hammer (and here I am Very Happy )

Post #3567948th Oct 2008 10:15 am
AndrewW

Martin - in Adrian's defence the info is a huge data quantity, with possible copyright implications for him and for the site, and needed lots of to-and-fro comms to access the files.

Perhaps a high-level plan is needed to ensure correct, fair and wide access?

Andrew
Post #3568048th Oct 2008 10:31 am
colinm

England 

I'm quite enjoying getting my mind around the system (it's far too interesting to hide away under a car). There are about 30 pages of info and if it will help get around the copyright issues I'll have a go at summarising it and posting that on the site.

Last edited by colinm on 8th Oct 2008 2:53 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #3568498th Oct 2008 1:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >