Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Hard suspension
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>
alex0264

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

This is a really interesting thread, I'm having serious ride quality issues on my 2014 D4, and in the last month it's had both rear upper and lower track control arms, as well as new rear shock absorbers - all genuine parts. The car drives beautifully for around 7 days then goes back to riding rough again. I'm absolutely tearing my hair out with it. It also sometimes rides well for a day at random, then badly again after that. I can sometimes hear what can only be described as a grinding noise coming from the left-hand side of the vehicle, presumably the compressor. The problem is the car will not throw up any error codes, so diagnosing it is a nightmare! Could someone please point me to the exact plug that needs disconnecting for the tow hitch? I figure it's got to be worth a try.

Post #23356105th May 2023 4:25 pm
robrs

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Sounds like the same problem,it’s driving me nuts, I was nearly ready to fit shocks because gap is not showing any codes but sounds like I would be wasting my money. I’ve put the car into two Landrover experts and they can’t find the problem.Is anyone out there who has some ideas Rolling with laughter

Post #23356125th May 2023 4:47 pm
alex0264

Have you replaced the compressor? I'm leaning towards that next, but as I've also had a selection of other weird and wonderful electrical malfunctions, I'm wondering if I should be looking at the main earth cable too. I fitted a new battery about 3 weeks ago to see if that helped, but it has done absolutely nothing, so that was another £200 down the drain! I'm actually considering going to test drive another one tomorrow, as I'm absolutely at my wits end with this one. I hope you manage to make some progress with yours.

Post #23356506th May 2023 12:12 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It's not the compressor, it would throw a fault(s) up.
When you get this hard ride stop and measure the height from the centre of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel arch front and rear it is possible it is sinking for some reason, this will give a hard ride.
The suspension automatically lowers at 100mph, it is possible but I have never heard of it cutting in before this speed or you may have a faulty valve that is allowing the pressure to lower whilst travelling.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Last edited by M3DPO on 6th May 2023 6:42 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #23356656th May 2023 6:32 am
M3DPO

alex0264 wrote:
Have you replaced the compressor? I'm leaning towards that next, but as I've also had a selection of other weird and wonderful electrical malfunctions, I'm wondering if I should be looking at the main earth cable too. I fitted a new battery about 3 weeks ago to see if that helped, but it has done absolutely nothing, so that was another £200 down the drain! I'm actually considering going to test drive another one tomorrow, as I'm absolutely at my wits end with this one. I hope you manage to make some progress with yours.

Not the earth cable, the starter puts maximum load on cables, that would be the first thing to stop working.
Check/change the compressor relay if you haven't already done so.

Post #23356666th May 2023 6:35 am
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

alex0264 wrote:
I'm actually considering going to test drive another one tomorrow, as I'm absolutely at my wits end with this one.

I was going to ask if you'd ever driven or been in another disco to know whether yours is wrong. Trouble is, hard suspension is subjective, and very difficult to diagnose in words in a thread.

Good idea driving another.
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #23356806th May 2023 9:35 am
alex0264

M3DPO wrote:
It's not the compressor, it would throw a fault(s) up.
When you get this hard ride stop and measure the height from the centre of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel arch front and rear it is possible it is sinking for some reason, this will give a hard ride.
The suspension automatically lowers at 100mph, it is possible but I have never heard of it cutting in before this speed or you may have a faulty valve that is allowing the pressure to lower whilst travelling.

The reason I was thinking compressor is because since having the arms and shocks done, I occasionally hear this odd grinding noise coming from the left-hand side of the car. I've tested as well that when switching the engine off the noise winds down, so it must be something motorised. Also, I used to get a quiet hiss when the car levelled itself, but since the work it's now a loud hiss, the same as you get when you unplug an air tool.

Unfortunately, I don't have any means of testing the compressor relay, but I could certainly buy another one and swap it over.

Last edited by alex0264 on 6th May 2023 11:59 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #23356956th May 2023 11:56 am
alex0264

rrhool wrote:
alex0264 wrote:
I'm actually considering going to test drive another one tomorrow, as I'm absolutely at my wits end with this one.

I was going to ask if you'd ever driven or been in another disco to know whether yours is wrong. Trouble is, hard suspension is subjective, and very difficult to diagnose in words in a thread.

Good idea driving another.

I have indeed driven another and it was smoother, although I'll admit not by much. It's just the fact that mine can be smooth for a day, then the next time you start it and drive, the ride is awful. When it's smooth it really is amazing, it just doesn't seem to be able to stick with that!

Post #23356966th May 2023 11:58 am
alex0264

I unplugged and reconnected the air suspension relay, but sadly no joy there - perhaps I should just buy a replacement given how cheap they are.

Today I went down a moor road, and it was the worst ride yet that I've ever experienced in the car to date. It honestly felt like the car was shaking itself to pieces, it really was that harsh a ride. I'm convinced now that it must be a valve issue or something along those lines, as clearly there isn't the right amount of air getting to each corner. I will try and measure the distance between the arch and the centre of the wheel.

Apologies for hijacking this thread!

Post #23358758th May 2023 3:02 pm
Aristarkhov

Russia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

alex0264 wrote:
I unplugged and reconnected the air suspension relay, but sadly no joy there - perhaps I should just buy a replacement given how cheap they are.

Today I went down a moor road, and it was the worst ride yet that I've ever experienced in the car to date. It honestly felt like the car was shaking itself to pieces, it really was that harsh a ride. I'm convinced now that it must be a valve issue or something along those lines, as clearly there isn't the right amount of air getting to each corner. I will try and measure the distance between the arch and the centre of the wheel.

Apologies for hijacking this thread!

Unfortunately, new valves won't help either. I've been through all this before, when I was desperate to change everything (
When the car is stiff, do you feel that the engine starts to accelerate worse?

Post #233745322nd May 2023 9:32 pm
alex0264

Sorry for the slow reply. On the engine performance side of things I can't say I've really noticed, but I'll try to make a point of doing so next time it does it. Interestingly, I do find with mine that the ride seems to be slightly better when I'm at or below 1/4 tank of fuel. Anything above that and it's rock hard suspension.

Post #23383371st Jun 2023 10:47 pm
Aristarkhov

Russia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

alex0264 wrote:
Sorry for the slow reply. On the engine performance side of things I can't say I've really noticed, but I'll try to make a point of doing so next time it does it. Interestingly, I do find with mine that the ride seems to be slightly better when I'm at or below 1/4 tank of fuel. Anything above that and it's rock hard suspension.

I have noticed this effect, only in reverse, that on a full tank, the suspension is softer. I associate it somehow with the weight of fuel in the tank.

Post #23383421st Jun 2023 11:23 pm
M3DPO

Measure the Censored height of the suspension when it goes hard! if its sinking for some reason while you're travelling it will go hard.

Post #23383622nd Jun 2023 9:13 am
alex0264

There is a discrepancy with the heights on my car. The rear measures at about 460mm each side, but the front nearside is about 465mm, and the front offside is about 475mm. I'm assuming this will cause headaches and definitely be a contributing factor to the poor ride (which is pretty much constant now). Is it worth me checking the wiring to the height sensors, as I read in another post that these can be problematic?

Out of desperation I actually invested in a diagnostic tool this week, although I've only heard one mention of the brand on here so I'm reluctant to try it. In all honesty I should just bite the bullet and plug it in, making note of the figures before I change anything? I've spent £3k plus trying get this resolved, and I'm really thinking the next step will be to get shot of it - naughty I know passing the buck and all that, but honestly where do you draw the line?

Post #23386124th Jun 2023 9:40 pm
M3DPO

10mm variation won’t effect the ride, there’s only one diagnostic tool worth buying for a Discovery, Iid tool from Gap Diagnostics. You won’t do any harm trying another brand, it either won’t work or will not do what you want.

Post #23387717th Jun 2023 9:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >