DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Having A MAre - MOT TIME!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Winnie6024

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Having A MAre - MOT TIME!!

Hi All

Wondering if I could pick your brains a little..

My 05 HSE went in for MOT yesterdayand unfortunately failed on 2 issues

1. Excess play in osf track rod end ball joint.
2. Excess Relative play in osf steering arm at fixing (which I assume is at the rack end as the other end is 1 above).

I duly went off to and bought the necessary parts and decided to do the job myself. Having removed the old ball joint and therefore isolated the steering arm I could find absolutely no play whatsoever at the rack end only the smooth movement of the ball in its socket. I elected not to replace and fitted the new ball joint to the arm and took it back in for retest on the basis that I would argue my case in regards number 2.

I did this a few hours ago and guess what....it failed; the issue is now not the steering arm or the ball joint its wheel bearings. Therefore my question is this....are the wheel bearings adjustable (the guy at the MOT station thought they might be...but he also though the problem was the steering arm etc) and how difficult are they to fit? Having been made redundant and struggling to find a job I dont have the funds to paya garage to do the work.

Any ideas on how much a wheel bearing kit maybe (I have an unused steering arm to return).

Any advice is much appreciated.

TW

Post #54199529th Oct 2009 5:06 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Wheel bearing are easy as the come as part of the hub - bad news is that they are about £90 each but you can get them from TheLargeOne Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #54200329th Oct 2009 5:30 pm
Winnie6024

Thanks DiscoDunc.

I have just come off the phone to my local dealer who shall remain nameless but begins with S and ends in stone - normally I wont deal with them after a number of bad experiences but needs must - time is of the essence - As you rightly pointed out the the hub assembly is a sealed unit, the wheel bearings being containered therein £108 plus vat - but they will take back the unused steering arm and minus the cost off of that, leaving me with about £100 inclusive to pay - parts should be there on Saturday.

Any ideas on the socket size of the hub nut anyone?

Post #54201429th Oct 2009 5:41 pm
Roger 47

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Did you take the car back to the garage that failed it? As I understand the MOT rules they are only supposed to test the failures that have been corrected and not run another test. However if you decided to use another garage then they will retest as if it was a fresh customer.
Please correct me anybody if I'm mistaken.

Roger
 1988 Range Rover
1990 Range Rover
1993 Range Rover
2001 Freelander GS
2002 Discovery TD5 ES
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S
2007 Freelander 2 S 

Post #54201929th Oct 2009 5:56 pm
Winnie6024

Hi Roger

It did go back to the same garage for a retest...however the procedure for checking if the repairs has been completed - yielded the same play in the osf wheel - which yesterday required the replacement of a steering arm and upper ball joint/trackrod end (one of which was definitely unnecessary and not done - steering arm) but today appears to be wheelbearings!

I think basically the tester misdiagnosed the problem, it was probably wheel bearings all along!! As they are maindealer parts he told me what to buy and iffered to fit them -because of my situation I felt I could save a few ££'s by fitting them myself - hopefully that will still be the case.

You are quite right if the vehile is returned to the same test centre within 10 days of the test the 'retest' is limited to the items highlighted as fails and there is no charge.

Post #54203029th Oct 2009 6:13 pm
Winnie6024

Collecting parts tomorrow...any clues on the size socket required to remove the hub nut.

Thanks

Post #54267630th Oct 2009 5:40 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

32mm Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #54268230th Oct 2009 5:42 pm
timv8

2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Winnie,

I have recently changed a front wheel bearing, and asked for advice and torque values, so look back for my thread and the answers i received (it is on page 2 of this section at the moment).
Also, some info you need is in Disco Mikeys "how to" for front lower ball joints. There are no special tools, but the hub nut torque is 350 Nm, which is more than the "average" torque wrench. You also need something fairly substantial to undo the nut.

It's of no help to you right now, but i think that Paganuk is going to produce a how to sticky for this job.

If you have any queries - post them or PM me.
 Tim  
Post #5439311st Nov 2009 9:32 pm
Winnie6024

Many Thanks to DiscoDunk, Roger 47, SJR and timV8 for the comment and advice above.

Putting the new Hub Assembly on tomorrow and hope to be mobile again by lunchtime.

TW

Post #5454363rd Nov 2009 11:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >