DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

HDC Fault got worse after troubleshooting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
D2Nator

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
HDC Fault got worse after troubleshooting

Hi All,

After many HDC fault errors, usually when starting in the morning but would clear after turning off the ignition then turning on again after system check, I would have to set suspension height to normal again. I searched the site and it suggested possible battery problems. So I purchased and new battery but after a day or so the HDC fault returned. So back to the forum for help, this time it was the brake bulbs to check, and to be honest I was finding that it was either in the morning or when braking that the HDC system fault error would bing!!!

So today I popped open the back lights to check the brake bulbs, they look perfect and the elements don't seem like they are moving and causing a short. So I swapped them round with the other twin element bulbs that are below the indicators. Now everytime I apply the brake the HDC fault orange light comes on!!!! I removed the bulbs and tried them all one at a time to see if one was defect. Everytime I press the foot brake bing! the HDC fault comes on, if I drive forward the suspension lowers. I removed both brake bulbs and tried that and the fault it gone!!!!! So I swapped bulbs round but to no avail. Now everytime i put the brakes on with the two rear brake bulbs in the HDC fault comes on. Suggesting a fault of some kind in the brake circuit.

Is there any suggestions as to what I can do to find or clear this fault? Anyone who has suffered with this will know how annoying and disappointing it is!!!!!!

Post #49704817th Jul 2009 8:33 pm
SpiderBaby
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Possibly the brake light switch? I had similar problems and went down the brake bulb route but it never fully cured it.

Changing the brake light switch resolved it.

NB - I had the change done under warrenty so can't comment on costs etc.
 I see no ships........  
Post #49705517th Jul 2009 8:45 pm
D2Nator

Is this located at the pedal?

Post #49710417th Jul 2009 10:19 pm
D2Nator

Following Spiderbaby's advise to check the brake switch, I removed the cover that surrounds the pedals and located the blue and white brake switch. It is only twist locked a quarter turn in a little metal bracket so came free with no problems. I removed the plug connector and had the switch free.

I took it into the house and with a couple of small flat head screw drivers opened it up for a look. At first everything looked fine as there is not much to look at. 4 terminal points and a spring or two. After removing the the internal switch parts I seen some a black powdery mark where a contact had been shorting!
There are two connection points that are spring loaded one was black and dusty. I pushed out the pin with a screw driver so the whole spring loaded part would be free, then I used a little knife to scratch the slightly burnt points clean. There is two little raised square shaped points that make the electrical connection. So after cleaning up everything like new, I couldn't see anything else wrong so I put it all back together and refitted it to the Landy.

HDC fault is now gone!

Remembering before that the second the brake were applied the HDC fault would come on, I turn on and off the ignition 5 or 6 times and drove around pressing the brakes with no further HDC faults. I'm very happy for the moment, so fingers crossed that is it solved! God knows what a dealer would have charged me for that!!!!

Many thanks SpiderBaby!!!

Post #49723118th Jul 2009 4:18 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Nice work D2nator! Thumbs Up
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #49734919th Jul 2009 4:31 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >