Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Headlight issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Dented Disco

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
Headlight issue

Driving home last week and one or two cars coming the opposite direction flashed at me suggesting the lights were on high beam?.I was driving on dipped beam and thought I better check the head light adjustment.I took it to a local garage that I use and had it checked with the kit for MOT etc they were spot on Shocked

So I thought no problem However I drove home the other night in it and had lights flashed at me six times Exclamation
I found a quiet lane with no traffic with a canopy of trees over the road to test the lights.I found that on high beam it just lit up the canopy of trees and didn't really offer that much more extra light than main beam!
I phoned the garage up and they said there spot on for the MOT but would lower them down if I wanted however I would have to put them back for the MOT!as they would be illegal Big Cry

As my D3 is a HSE with adaptive light etc I thought this would be auto
Any suggestions?

Post #54181429th Oct 2009 8:55 am
THUB

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I have been moaning about the height of my headlamps on main beam for several months. The tree tops are well illuminated but when going on to dip there is a "black hole". Now that the evenings are getting dark earlier I shall take the technician and foreman out to show them what I am moaning about. I reckon my beams are so high that nobody flashes because the beams are going over the top. I wonder if the 2 lamps on each side are individually adjustable. The dealer has had three goes at this problem already.

Post #54183729th Oct 2009 9:44 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Dented it sounds as though your xenon high beam shutters are sticking open ...it is a known problem but there is no known fix other than a thump on the front of the unit and not using your high beam. If you are under warranty they will replace the units Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #54184529th Oct 2009 9:53 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

It's possible one of your xenons is sticking in the high beam position sometimes, the halogen lamp will go out but the shutter doesn't move on the xenon lamp and it stays in high beam mode, depending on how bad it is it will stay like this until you give it a thump or drive over a bump.
It's normally fairly obvious but next time you get flashed pull over if you can and take a look at the light output, with xenons it should be well defined with the top of the light beams being roughly horizontal, if one is sticking it will be giving out a much wider beam, thump it and it'll normally return to the low beam position

I think some of them stick after not being used for a long time on high beam during the summer months, once they start getting used regularly they soon return to normal, if they continue to stick you can get them replaced under warranty
 The End  
Post #54184629th Oct 2009 9:53 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Shocked
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #54184829th Oct 2009 9:54 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up
 The End  
Post #54185229th Oct 2009 10:08 am
Dented Disco

Update:
Thanks for the replys regarding the xenons Thumbs Up

I decided to go back to the garage again to have them look at possibly lowering adjusting the lights.But I must have got the "tea boy" last visit as the boss put it on the ramps and announced that the beam was in fact HIGH! "no Censored "
I mentioned the sticky xenon shutter idea but as he demonstrated the high beam is working you can see the beam pattern moving from low to high.
After looking at the head light adjustment it looks like it can only be done by Land Rover as the adaptive lights cant be adjusted manually ? and need to be adjusted on the diagnostics computer ?
dose this sound right ?

Post #54211629th Oct 2009 8:34 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Yep fraid so, Adaptive Lighting (AFS) ECU takes it's front & rear height inputs from the EAS system over the CAN bus to figure out where to drive the shutters stepper motors to for dip. So adjustments will need to be re programmed in as opposed to just turning a screw or two.

Hope to be slapping the adaptive ECU & wiring onto my own D3 which previously only had halogens, after which i can probably tell you a lot more. Whistle

Post #54216829th Oct 2009 9:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dented Disco

Thanks,will speak to Land Rover regarding this as only had it less than a month! also it had a MOT on the day of collection so how did it pass ? Shocked
Ta for your help Thumbs Up

Post #54218729th Oct 2009 10:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >