Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Health and Safety, Political Correctness..... Tide Turning??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Yes... yes ...yes I agree with all of it Thumbs Up Rolling Eyes

But you are still missing my point. When something devastating happens to you or your loved ones ....you will not think like this .....you will want to blame someone, anyone and anything Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #49544614th Jul 2009 1:45 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

As I said i agree with DG. Surprised Shocked Rolling Eyes

If we are honest about it we will want to blame others but not all of us will blame others, that is where morals and ethics come in.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #49544914th Jul 2009 1:55 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Don't worry DG - I get your point. Wink

A bit like the parents of the Army kids we are loosing in Afghanistan. They are blaming the Snatch LR, the lack of body armour, the military, the government etc.

As for human nature, I'm not going to agree with you though I understand your point. I think it's more of a cultural thing which has come about in the past decade. If it were human nature then there would have only ever been one war in the world and a succession of bankrupt countries paying compensation after that.

I don't recall anyone being blamed for deaths in the Falklands except the Argie bCensoreds!!!

Mind you - Maggie knew what a tank looked like which is more than can be said for the bulk of the current decision-making failed-teachers Twisted Evil
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #49545114th Jul 2009 1:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

DG wrote:
Yes... yes ...yes I agree with all of it Thumbs Up Rolling Eyes

But you are still missing my point. When something devastating happens to you or your loved ones ....you will not think like this .....you will want to blame someone, anyone and anything Thumbs Up

I can see your point but for instance when Craig tried jumping a ravine on his motocross bike, failed and landed smack into the bank on the other side causing a rush into hospital (once we had stopped laughing) he then pizzed blood for a few days Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes We never blamed the track owner or the bike manufacturer or the glacier that cut the ravine. It was one of those things. If however the bike frame had collapsed before take off thus causing the crash we would have still laughed but also had words with the supplier and if serious injury was caused then yes we would be looking for compo. I think that as mentioned in all the messages in this thread there as to be a common sense approach and it would appear that this may be occurring.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #49545214th Jul 2009 2:07 pm
Fleagle_UK

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

DG wrote:
.... When something devastating happens to you or your loved ones ....you will not think like this .....you will want to blame someone, anyone and anything Thumbs Up

Hi DG - I understand. I truely do. The immediacy of such massive Grief, which is what you're actually talking about here, means all bets on calm rational thought are off. I cant begin to understand the grief and other emotions these parents and others must go through. But "grief" is handled by the human mind in very unpredictable and different ways. Often it comprises of a degree of guilt ("Could I have done something to stop it") ..... While the answer will invariably be yes in the cold light of day, at such horrific times, then denial means the proportionality of genuine accident versus culpability will be somewhat bias in the grief stricken mind.

It's a horrid subject so I'm leaving it here. Confused

Getting back on point - (by the way I contract for the HSE).... the sooner we re-adress the balance of blame versus true accident the better. And the sooner law is past to ban the ambulance chasing scum that have the audacity to call them selves legal advisors, the better! Evil or Very Mad

Post #49546614th Jul 2009 2:27 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Fleagle_UK wrote:
the sooner law is past to ban the ambulance chasing scum that have the audacity to call them selves legal advisors, the better! Evil or Very Mad

Then you will enjoy the next part of the tale........

The whole case was handled by a no-win no-fee bunch of f Censored g ambulance chasers who now stand to loose a significant amount because of the appeal decision Laughing
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #49547314th Jul 2009 3:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jkp

Scotland 

Parents in this instance and others is the root cause as said above.

Everyone must have witnessed at some point a really young kid walking the streets and think "WTF is he/she doing out at this time on their own?" Some parents DNGAF about their kids as long as they are out the house.

Similar to the the young girl a couple of weeks ago who just popped round to her pals house at 7pm in her PJ's but her parents never noticed her missing until gone midnight and she was 8 or 9 yrs old !!!

God forbid anything happens to your kid, but wanting money for it would not even be on my list. How could you replace a child with bits of paper that gets used for holiday or beer tokens.

If there was something/someone directly to blame I'd more likely be looking for personal compensation of a grieving parent and seek that on a 1-2-1 basis which would not make me feel better but give parental justice.

The root cause is parenting. Baby P, how many others like that are out there and living a life of hell, but as long as the parents are catered for .....

Whole thing makes me Censored sick as a parent.

Post #49551314th Jul 2009 4:13 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

jkp wrote:
Parents in this instance and others is the root cause as said above.

Thats a tad strong John I feel ...and quite strangely contradicts what most are complaining about.

The sad thing about this case is that these parents where probably just like you and me .....and anyone else on here.

TheTimes wrote:
Lord Justice Moses described Mr Marsden, an IT manager, and his wife as responsible, attentive and caring parents for whom the loss of Matthew had been devastating. He said: “It is absurd and offensive to suggest that Mr and Mrs Marsden were in any way at fault. A child may be gone in an instant.

“But it does not follow from the fact that they were not at fault that Bourne Leisure was in breach of duty. The danger of the lake to a small child, should that child in fact stray, was obvious.”

The court had been told that the family had been cooped up in their caravan during three days of incessant rain after arriving at the 100-pitch holiday park. On the fourth day Mrs Marsden was chatting to a neighbour when Matthew and his 16-month-old brother disappeared.

The children walked 60 yards to the pond, which had been fenced off after a four-year-old boy fell into it the previous year. What happened next, said Lord Justice Moses, was “every parents’ worst nightmare”.

He added: “Nothing this court can say can adequately measure the suffering of two responsible, attentive and caring parents.

“Short of keeping hold of the two children at all times when outside the caravan, there is nothing more the Marsdens could do. Small children can disappear in a moment. Holiday sites will almost inevitably contain sources of danger to small unaccompanied children. Further warnings as to that obvious circumstance could not have made any difference.”

Lord Justice Stanley Burnton told the court: “This was a tragic case and Matthew’s death has been understandably devastating for his parents, but accidents may and do happen to young children without anyone being at fault.

“A toddler can disappear in a fleeting moment. I don’t think there can be any parent who has not been in that situation. It is impossible to live in a riskless society.”
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #49553614th Jul 2009 4:58 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Blaming the parents is almost as bad as blaming the holiday park owners. I feel desperately sad for them as I'm guessing that they are not the typical smack-heads who seem to drag their kids up these days and hit the news when there's a chance that social services can be 'blamed'. Neutral

This was an accident - a freak accident perhaps. Nothing more or less. My point in the OP was not about who was to blame, but the fact that a court in 21st century UK has not gone down the route of the blame culture.
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #49554114th Jul 2009 5:06 pm
jkp

Scotland 

Am I not entitled to put across my opinion ??

Okay then I'll just sit in the corner and shut the Censored up Neutral I need to learn to do it more I suppose.

Parents should look after their kids....and i mean kids <'x'years old, not teenagers and older or to a far lesser extent.

Maybe I molly-coddle mine too much and actually care about his welfare, but surely as the grow and learn you have to guide and watch out for danger...

...or maybe just not give a Censored and ensure they learn to shut the door quietly as they head out to street corners with their mates Confused

Post #49556614th Jul 2009 6:21 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

TheTimes wrote:

“Short of keeping hold of the two children at all times when outside the caravan, there is nothing more the Marsdens could do. Small children can disappear in a moment. Holiday sites will almost inevitably contain sources of danger to small unaccompanied children. Further warnings as to that obvious circumstance could not have made any difference.”

It was on a caravan park, most caravan parks i have been on its not the ponds etc you have to worry about, it the car drivers who think the roads on the sites are dual carriageways with a national speed limit in place. All the more reason to keep track of where a 4yr old is. You can't say never, but i would like to think that i would be aware enough of where my kids were that they did not get 60 yards away from me without my noticing Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #49557114th Jul 2009 6:30 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

DG wrote:
When something devastating happens to you or your loved ones ....you will not think like this .....you will want to blame someone, anyone and anything...

I believe this was the original reason that black armbands were worn; to firstly show that you were in mourning, and simultaneously warn others that you weren't necessarily running on all mental cylinders and could lash out without warning. I actually witnessed a guy take a pretty heavy punch from a guy with a black armband on; instead of thumping back, he apologised and withdrew. Now there's a moral backbone you can bend iron bars on.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #49559314th Jul 2009 6:58 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The caravan parks I've been at don't have child-proof locks on the doors either; just a thumbturn that even my 2 year old can unlock. I had to ducktape the thumbturn to the handle every night just to be sure...
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #49559714th Jul 2009 7:02 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

jkp wrote:
Am I not entitled to put across my opinion ??

Confused Yes ......of course but are you saying that nobody is entitled to give an opinion on that opinion.. Whistle Wink
Post #49559814th Jul 2009 7:03 pm
jkp

Scotland 

OK

FINE

No I wasn't, yes I was.

I just have to re-evaluate my expectations at times Rolling Eyes Confused

Post #49560414th Jul 2009 7:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >