Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Heating is useless in the D4!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 15 <123 ... 91011 ... 131415>
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Excellent news. Thanks for sharing Paul. Keeping my fingers crossed. Interesting to get updates on this as may give us some real clues about what the problem is/was.

Could this be one of the rare cases of one step back and two steps forward ?!
Cheers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #193862121st Apr 2018 9:39 am
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Are you sure? There have been cases where the non LR screens don't have the correct place to mount the humidity sensor so the fitter has just stuffed the sensor up inside the headlining out of the way hoping you won't notice.......

It really isn't possible for that sensor's intended functions to be in the mirror mount.

However if it's improved the temperature issue then that's one thing I suppose but it is probably just because your car isn't measuring humidity or screen temperature any more.

Post #193878921st Apr 2018 11:06 pm
Armpit

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto ArubaDiscovery 4

Update as promised following the new windscreen being fitted:

The humidity sensor is definitely not in under the headlining, it has been put into the mirror mount shroud.........I've not split this apart to have a look as it felt quite tight and I didn't want to break any clips etc.

Anyway in terms of performance after around 600 miles, I can say that the climate control is much, much better - always plenty of heat coming from the face vents during warm up (hardly had any air flow from these in the past) and no sudden cabin temperature reduction after 30 mins or so. Also, I don't hear the heater blower / mixer box noises where there was a rushed sound of air and valves opening / closing, it sounds quite uniform and as I would expect. Sure, as cabin temp is reached the air cools from the face vents / screen vents but nothing like before (my arm next to the window used to be freezing to touch, now it's just not the case).

Another thing to mention and not sure if this is linked in any way (maybe others with the climate issue could comment), but my auto wipers and auto headlights are much better controlled too. With the old screen, my headlights were on too often when in auto mode ie on when it was more than light enough outside and other cars lights were off, but mine were on and auto wipers were only any use on the last two settings (max and max-1), now they work perfectly on all setting levels !

Does the above point towards windscreen issue with sensors / coating / make up ????

If anyone with the climate problem is in North Manchester area, I am happy to meet up and compare if that helps.

Cheers - Paul

Post #19414881st May 2018 11:42 am
discoteca

Glad the heating issue is resolved for you. If you haven't taken the mirror shroud apart how do you know that the humidity sensor is in there? I wonder how it's going to measure the windscreen temperature from inside the mirror?

Post #19415391st May 2018 2:52 pm
Armpit

Discoteca - you are correct, I should split the mirror shroud and have a look. I have checked under the head lining and it’s not there. There are two cables running into the mirror shroud, but I guess they could have ditched the sensor !!

Also not sure why windscreen temp is important in any case......I would rather have the cabin comfort, but maybe I’m missing something ?

Will investigate further this weekend.

Cheers Paul

Post #19416561st May 2018 10:11 pm
discoteca

I don't think you are missing anything - I've said for a long time that I believe that sensor is the cause of many of the heating issues, I'm interested because i suspect you have seen improvements because the sensor has been removed. It would be good to prove or disprove that theory.

That leads onto a different issue which is poor workmanship by the window fitter, simply removing something because it doesn't fit the screen they brought with them isn't on, even if it has fixed your heating problem.

With regard to the windscreen temperature part of the sensor, its used to control when the heated front screen turns off. Without the sensor the screen will act like earlier models and just turn off after x minutes.

A new screen can improve auto wipers function if the rain sensor on the old screen had perhaps come slightly adrift from the screen.

Post #19417312nd May 2018 8:45 am
Tanglewood

United Kingdom 

I had the same problem on my MY 16 HSE Lux. Went back to the dealers 3 times. Sensors changed, mods done etc and it never did get fixed. Very frustrating for a circa £61K vehicle.

Post #19417342nd May 2018 8:54 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

So could it be as simple as unplugging the humidity sensor? Or figuring out which wire feeds into the HVAC unit and giving it the snip?

Post #19417352nd May 2018 8:56 am
Tanglewood

United Kingdom 

Sad state of affairs if you have to resort to cutting wires to make the heating work correctly isn't it?

Post #19417362nd May 2018 8:58 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Absolutely. Thumbs Up But what is even more shocking is the contempt JLR have for their customers that have forked out 50 or 60 grand for a supposedly luxury car where the heating doesn’t work. Good old “design intent” cr@p, or they employ total morons for design engineers. Rolling Eyes

Post #19417372nd May 2018 9:01 am
Tanglewood

United Kingdom 

I'm with you 100%. Having been a LR man for 30 odd years, it was LRs lack of interest in me as a customer after having invested so much into them in terms of money and time, that eventually pushed me away from the brand.

Post #19417392nd May 2018 9:03 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Very frustrating, especially as the older models didn't have this issue. Whatever happened to "if it aint broke...."
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #19417662nd May 2018 11:00 am
Armpit

Well guys - here is my most recent response from JLR customer services following my reply to their first response on page 9 of this thread:

Dear Mr Armstrong,

Thank you for the email addressed to me, dated 19th April 2018, in relation to my response concerning the HVAC on your Land Rover Discovery (AU66 UJD).

Please allow me to respond to the note in relation to the vehicle warning up and confirm that this would be in relation to the cabin temperature of the vehicle and not the engine.

Jaguar Land Rover have investigated your concerns in relation to the chilled and heated air streams and as advised we confirm, this is operating in the way that this is designed.

As your appointed contact within the Executive Office, it has been my responsibility to investigate and respond to your concerns which I have through liaising with my Technical Team and also through the investigations when your vehicle had been presented to Farnell Land Rover, Nelson in April 2017. As previously advised I report into Dr Speth and the Board of Directors and they are updated on the progress and outcome of any complaint managed by the Executive Office.

I appreciate that this is not the response that you have hoped for however this will not be investigated any further and I can confirm this is our final position in this matter.

Should I be able to help with any questions or concerns in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me on my details below.

To this my reply is as follows:

Hi Lorraine,

Thank you for your response, I note that no further action will be taken at your end which I find extremely disappointing.

I also note that JLR expects a time of 30mins for the cabin to reach temperature......I expect that the majority of journeys are less than 30mins and this elapsed time seems excessive (for me as mentioned that is a 23 mile journey)......again that must be the JLR design intent, no other manufacturers car I have owned for the last 17 years doing the same journey has this as a feature (Volvo, Seat, Audi, Jaguar, Nissan, BMW, Peugeot, Mercedes).

In response to my question if Dr Speth has seen my original mail with the supporting information, I take from your diplomatic reply that he has not.

I consider my dialogue with JLR now closed on this subject.

Regards Paul

I agree with the previous posts that JLR customers are not valued and the complete lack of common sense is ridiculous, even at a level of insulting the intelligence of their customers. Shame on you JLR - I shall never by a JLR vehicle again (a shame as this is my fourth one!).

Cheers - Paul

Post #19417732nd May 2018 11:18 am
Armpit

Here are photos from behind mirror shroud - mystery solved, looks like temp / humidity sensor has been stuck with a ball or sealant to back of mirror stalk - it isn't in contact with the screen !

Not a good job from Autoglass, but the cabin temp issue is much better - I think I can live with this for now !

Comments welcome - cheers Paul

Post #19418862nd May 2018 7:05 pm
Somerset Bumpkin

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Might tear mine apart then and seal it up! Seems to be a better solution than “Its working properly sir”.

Post #19421803rd May 2018 7:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 10 of 15 <123 ... 91011 ... 131415>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >