South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

somewhere around the R30k mark I would say Embarassed Embarassed

BUT - no more sea-sickness Thumbs Up

Post #28495810th Apr 2008 3:22 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Hmmm think I'll wait awhile Shocked

Post #28495910th Apr 2008 3:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jamo

Australia 

Mine are being organised now! Very Happy

Spyros rang last night. He's sorting out with Chris Armelin the cheapest route to here. I've oredered the bushes too.

Baben, How long did they take for the dealer to fit?
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #28516611th Apr 2008 2:27 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Baben

It was a 2-day game, but they could probly have done it in one day. Best speak to them about it, 'cos I believe the bushes are a bit of a job.

Post #28742216th Apr 2008 11:34 am
Baben

A progress report

OK, so a few more miles under the belt, and the shocks are still impressing me.

I had to swerve to miss a taxi just the other day, and was quite amazed at how the vehicle handled - no mess or fuss.
Also it seems to handle the corners a lot better without any squirming and much less body-roll.

Its not quite RRS firmness, but very supple and in control, and bear in mind this is with the STT's on, and all the accessories as listed previously.

Not that I would do it, but I am wondering what it will handle like once I remove all the accessories.

I had the opportunity to do a few km on gravel last weekend in a big hurry, and was amazed at the handling over the bumpy stuff. No bottoming out, no shuddering, and complete control. very nice

Anyway, we are off to Bots later in the month, and have 2 other D3's accompanying us, so that will make for interesting comparison, especially over the corrugations.

Post #28742816th Apr 2008 11:47 am
Ollram

Greece 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Baben

glad you enjoyed the "greek product"!!! Indeed, Spyros has done an excellent job and somehow we (LRers from Greece) are proud 8)
Similar shocks have been fitted into a D1, which also now RULES!!

Post #28817717th Apr 2008 8:20 pm
Baben

After 3000km in Botswana last week, I can really testify that the "Spyros Suspension" is the dog's dangles! Thumbs Up

We had 2 other TDV6's in the group, one '08, and another '06 like mine. Both other vehicles were basically standard, with no rear wheel carrier or long range tank, hence at most times I would have had 200-300kg extra load.
Any time we were on the dirt with big whoops and ditches I had to hang back to avoid crowding the guys in front of me, and it never felt like I was pressing on, the vehicle was just so composed. Mrs Baben commented a couple of times that our vehicle was so stable compared to the others, and that we didn't bounce over the bumps like they did. Braking, swerving etc. was amazingly easy, and this with the rooftoop tent etc. up top!
Not once did we bottom out, despite having the heaviest load we have ever had. Every bump was handled wih complete ease.

On the road from Nata to Planet Baobab, there are a few new potholes since we were there last in December, and at this late stage (900km into day one after a 3am start) Mrs B was driving, and I was swilling a frosty in the pac seat and trying to get my eyes to work again. A few k's short of the destination she sighted a particularly vicious pothole a little too late, and violently wrenched the wheel to one side to avoid it. In a RRS this would probably have worked fine, but my gut feel was that the beloved disco which has so recently become all mine was about to turn turtle Shocked , and I started looking around for handholds. Not so! The vehicle took all this in its stride. I could not believe it at all, and am still driving around trying swerving tricks to see what happens. If you see me doing this in JHB, I'm not Censored , ok Smile
Laughing

Post #2959606th May 2008 7:51 pm
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

respect to the Greeks Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

i have these shocks fitted, they are magic.
 CLUB "Ah Shor it'll be grand"

First D3 in the World with a Hydraulic Winch.
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S Auto,
Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.
Other toys include, Argo Avenger 8x8, Tatra 6x6 Motorhome (Being Built) 

Post #2959906th May 2008 9:23 pm
pantg

Location: 862, Paralia Markopoulou Oropou, 190 15 Oropos, GREECE

Greece 

People Hi,

nice to know that you are satisfied with the Greek made shock absorbers.

The project related to Freelander 2 vehicles is now over and the units have been tested with similar, actually even better, success. FR2 vehicles are a bit harsh with the factory fitted shock absorbers, something that can not be said for the LR3. So now even the FR2s can benefit for those shock absorbers.

Baben nice to know you like them, even nicer to know that Mrs Baben liked them also.

Don't know about what's happening in SA but here in Greece when the missus likes something related to cars it is a VERY extraordinary occasion !!!!!! (LOL)

Take care everybody
 Pantelis Giamarellos
LAND ROVER CLUB OF GREECE

tel +30 22950 37637
fax +30 22950 31818
mobile +30 6944 579911
e-mail pantg@otenet.gr 

Post #2962777th May 2008 4:56 pm
kontos

Greece 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Dear Baben,

Great to hear that you are satisfied obtaining Spyros’ shocks!!

I have also installed them on my D3. Mine have a different set up compared to yours, since I do not have

that extra load to carry (spare wheel base, 2nd fuel tank, etc.) J. You see, the importance of setting these up in accordance to our needs is also one of their advantages.

My overall impressions are similar to yours, FANTASTIC, and I should say that having driven 15000km with those on my D3, still their performance is identical to the day I put them on.

As far as the silent blocks are concerned, I have noticed a great improvement in the direction system (more responsive & cease of a “sound” from the front system).

Although, I had replaced within the guarantee the silent blocks & steering column at 17000km , the “tak-tak” sound produced over small bumps still remained…..From the time I installed the silent blocks and theshocks, this was no longer an issue!

Have you noticed any improvement in the direction system after changing the silent block???

Post #29883214th May 2008 8:34 pm
Baben

Yup, I have the same experince with the bushes - the "knocking" on the steering has gone, and driving over rocks is quite silent. THose shocks get better every day Smile

Post #29916615th May 2008 2:29 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Mine are on their way Very Happy . Meant to be here tomorrow, so i can have them fitted when I'm in Perth on Monday, but I can't see it happening now. Just have to wait a couple more months.

Ordered them a while ago but got stuffed around by the European distributor. Evil or Very Mad
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #29923315th May 2008 4:49 pm
nickm

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Is there an issue with fitting these shocks while the vehicle is under warranty/maintenance plan?

From reading the posts, it is clear that the damping rate can be adjusted depending upon the load requirements of the vehicle, but I am not clear whether that is a factory setting or can be adjusted easily once the shocks are on the vehicle. It would be useful to be able to set up the shocks separately for a fully laden vehicle versus everyday use.

Baben - I presume you imported these personally, or is someone going to distribute them in SA? What do you plan to do in the event the shocks need servicing...?

Post #29926215th May 2008 5:59 pm
Baben

HI Nickm

I think thats something you need to discuss with your dealer. Mine fitted the shocks for me, so the work is guaranteed, even though the shocks themselves aren't.

The shocks aren't adjustable, they are set up for your specific requirement.
I doubt the shocks will need any service, but if they do they will have to go back to Greece unless there is a local distributor by then.

So far I know of no plans in place, have spoken to a couple of local shops but no interest

Post #29966216th May 2008 2:33 pm
pantg

Location: 862, Paralia Markopoulou Oropou, 190 15 Oropos, GREECE

Greece 

Baben and people Hi,

Just a small note to advise you that if anyone is interested for the Greek made shock absorbers you can now contact me so as to be provided with your shocks from the direct source of their manufacturer.

Unfortunately Spyros has been caught behaving as all the LR dealers do (some fellow members call them stealers on this forum) and charging far more than due.

Take care
 Pantelis Giamarellos
LAND ROVER CLUB OF GREECE

tel +30 22950 37637
fax +30 22950 31818
mobile +30 6944 579911
e-mail pantg@otenet.gr 

Post #8230104th Aug 2011 2:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >