Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Help !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Dave T

England 

To me it looks like a gearbox problem rather than anything else. I tried an experiment to try and work out exactly what is happening. From what I could see, it is worst if you are rolling slowly towards a roundabout/junction and if you don't need to stop it is maybe in a relativly high gear, when you put your foot down the revs do seem to go up but the gearbox first changes down before moving.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #101733511th Dec 2012 3:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Peely

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

I don't think the problem is intermittant, I think it's there period but only causes a problem under certain driving conditions as you explain, when you have lifted off the power and come to apply the throttle again or exiting junctions, give ways etc from a standstill.

Liam has booked my car into dealers for 2nd Jan. and told them they are to contact LR tech guys for info and results ........... we'll see if it gets any improvement ?

Also as someone as mentioned previously, strange how the RR Sport has a different ECU and doesn't suffer from this problem ?

ECU, re-map guys..........are you reading this ? Wink

Post #101733611th Dec 2012 3:54 pm
Dinsdale

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

My very early MY12 has this lag problem and it is at its worse if you have gently rolled up to a junction/roundabout either to a stop or near stop and then have to hoof it.

I think it might be a combination of things including the brake/throttle interlock switch; the fly-by-wire throttle; the high torque coupled with the eight speed box (meaning it will seek a very high gear-like 6th or 7th at 30 odd mph); and the ECU programmed for better fuel consumption.

I did some experiments with switching to command mode at the vital times and I am pretty sure it was usuallly still in third gear at the virtual stop point when I was then hitting the throttle.

So with all the b Censored dy safety/economy lock features it just can't react fast enough under its own steam.

But IF you paddle down to second or first as you approach and then hoof it, it takes off like a scalded cat every time.

Needless to say the dealer has no answer at present either.
 If it don't fit the third time - try a bigger hammer  
Post #101751011th Dec 2012 8:24 pm
Dave T

England 

Well thats mine in and being looked at now, bought forward a little by a Censored battery. Will let you know of any particular outcome when I get it back, hopefully early next week
1994 Defender 90

2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #101941815th Dec 2012 1:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dinsdale

Do keep us informed Dave, as IF your dealer comes up with some fix, OR EVEN acknowledges that there might be a problem, then I am sure that there are many of us on here who will be very interested.
Post #102013616th Dec 2012 9:13 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Interesting way this thread has gone...

the fault on my colleagues D4 is definately a throttle issue as it does this when stood still.....not when on the move.

The issue that seems to be in the current discussion is very similar to one I had on a BMW 5 series....on a six speed auto gearbox it would go down at least 3 cogs when slowing / coasting / approaching towards a roundabout & when you touched the throttle meant you rocketed off or went sideways as toy were negotiating turn movements. Very very dangerous.
The final reason I sold the car....+ the fact I got an ASBO from the Belfast BMW dealers when I complained.

No sign of this on my D3...onthe whole always very predictable & forgiving - even when I make errors like fiddle with the gear change...SWMBO says repeatedly "why do you have to use the manual function"...its automatic.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Last edited by BLFarrar on 17th Dec 2012 10:08 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #102026917th Dec 2012 8:24 am
Dinsdale

Blimey BL, you have a wife who knows your car has a Manual setting! After 35 years I still can't get Mrs Dinsdale to even use cruise control Laughing
Post #102027817th Dec 2012 9:23 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Err..

Mr Dinsdale...its worse than that

1) The D3....very basic concept thing there are three postions onthe gear lever:
...PARK...which says the obvious
...Drive....go forwards
...Reverse.....the opposite of drive.

2) SWMBO refuses to use the flappy paddles in the XK...which is sort of OK at normal speeds
but when you "drive" the car sort of "fastish"..... it works far better with manual interventions.

3) A total dependance on PDC...

4) Worrying
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #102028117th Dec 2012 9:31 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

FWIW I'm currently driving a demo 2012MY Autumn build ...no hesitation at all Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #102029217th Dec 2012 10:00 am
Peely

BLFarrar wrote:
.........it would go down at least 3 cogs when slowing / coasting / approaching towards a roundabout & when you touched the throttle meant you rocketed off

If only it happened on the 8 speed !! Rolling Eyes

DG wrote:
FWIW I'm currently driving a demo 2012MY Autumn build ...no hesitation at all Thumbs Up

Encouraging ...... we live in hope !! Sad

Post #102032617th Dec 2012 11:34 am
Dave T

England 

A quick update ....... mainly because we really don't know anything. Confused Confused

First problem was the battery, that was a duff cell now replaced and working ok. After that they found a slight misfire for the first 6 or 7 seconds after start up, and its not even that cold up here, so they don't really have anything on the hesitation yet. I've been here before with a misfire, although at least this time I ain't paying for it.

Thanks to Liam who called yesterday, he is going to liase with the garage today before his hols, my memory is a little vague, but it appears that tha Disco 4 isn't the only 8 speed box in the JLR Family they are having slight issues with, one of the Jags is too, although slightly different to the D4 issue.

So, still slumming about in a Freelander 2 (apologies to Freelander owners Whistle Whistle ) whilst I'm sure it is a great car, it ain't a Disco 4 by a long shot.
1994 Defender 90

2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #102084418th Dec 2012 8:13 am
Dave T

England 

Well, hope you weren't all expecting a useful update.

Just been speaking with Parks, battery sorted, misfire has disappeared with nothing found and they believe the hesitation is part of the mapping for emissions, so Liam I think its over to Land Rover to look at to see if it can be changed!
1994 Defender 90

2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #102102918th Dec 2012 3:34 pm
Peely

That's a disappointment !

I thought they where supposed to be liaising with LR Tech guys on the other end of the phone to try and find a resolution to the annoying problem ?

I really can't see a happy ending to this, especially if LR don't even know there is a problem ?? Rolling Eyes

Post #102112818th Dec 2012 6:07 pm
stenh02

Scotland 

Just had our MY12 for a couple of months and this 'hesitation' is noticeable. And, I think, dangerous.

I don't think it is the gearbox as the we have a ffrr with same 'box and it is grand.

Did Liam or LR technical ever get back to anyone?

I don't want to loose the car for the day in the dealer and be told 'Normal' - as no faults are stored (or at least readable on the IID Tool).

Did Paul get anywhere?

Thanks,

Grant

Post #102509427th Dec 2012 7:54 pm
Dave T

England 

Liam did speak tome but was away on holiday before I got news back. My dealer said it was due to emissions mapping, I thi k it needs LR to investigate and lead now.
1994 Defender 90

2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #102512027th Dec 2012 8:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >