DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Help & advice needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
NICKNICK

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Help & advice needed

Hi all

Our 05 TDV6 HSE went in for its 4 year service, mileage 53,000 on 6 Feb. The only isues raised were the handbrake light was flashing and the yellow warning light had come on, this had happened since we had booked the service and there was uneven tyre wear, mostly at the rear, necessitating 4 new tyres (this had also been reported 22,000 miles ago the last time we replaced the tyres, I know 22k on a set is not bad).

Got a call at the end of the day (friday 6th) saying, still did not know what was wrong with the handbrake (it was not talking to the computer), also track rod ends & ball joints needed replacing. At this point (it was about 4pm on Friday) I asked LR to contact my warranty company (purchased at a weak moment in the same week that I switched my base rate tracker mortgage to a 4.95% 10 year fixed Big Cry ......). My dealer already knew I had a warranty as they had claimed successfully in the past for me.

Anyway my bill excluding the service VAT & parts was as follows (all in it was £1,600):

£120.00 Ball Joint lower renew

£320.00 Bushes- suspension lower arm- vehicle set - renew

£120.00 Ball Jont - lowe- renew

£180.00 Steering Geometry check and adjust (inc castor, camber, king pin incl, toe in/out) I presume this work related to the uneven tyre wear

£180.00 Investigate park brake fault, traced to broken wiring

Land Rover did not contact my warranty company until Teusday 10th, by which time a lot of the work had been done. I needed the car for a family holiday, leaving at 6am Friday, so I had no choice but to pay all of the bill myself. The warranty company have declined cover for everything because they were unabe to inspect the car, they also said unlikely the ball joint/track rod ends would be MOT fail and the handbrake related to a broken connector and electrical connections were excluded.

The handbrake has now failed again, this time there is an horrendous noise from the rear of the car when you turn it off and on which was not there before.

Advice needed:

Is £180 to check & adjust the steering geometry OK

I read on here that ball joint and control arm bushes are a design fault, should I therefore have been stung £500 for ball joints and track rod ends & is it likely would they have been MOT fails?

Surely the handbrake is a design fault, should I be paying any of the costs of looking to see what has gone wrong with it?

I am pursuing the dealer for an explanation for their prejudicing of my warranty claim. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

All suggestions will be gratefully received
 I used to hate 4x4's now I'm not so sure...  
Post #4355699th Mar 2009 1:28 pm
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

Hi NICKNICK,

Sorry to hear about your trouble. I have the LR Extended warranty (Or ANDREX as I call it) and have had 2 EPB screamers but I had to pay for both repairs myself because of the now world famous excuse of 'wear and tear'!

I was also told by the local stealership that my ball joints were slightly worn - and despite an inspection - they wouldnt cover this either.

Passed its MOT with flying colours!

LR warranty and the local stealership are IMO, crooks!

Hope you get it sorted.

Bigdave
 All things shipping, storage, transport. UK and worldwide.

E-mail [email protected] 

Post #4355719th Mar 2009 1:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Quagmire

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Nick Nick

I can only help you with the Geometry set up price. My car needed 4 wheel setting up as there were problems with uneven tyre wear. I was quoted £200 odd from Guy Salmon Thames Ditton, normally pretty ok for a Stealer! However, their equipment was faulty so the technician told me to call this garage down the road that they use when they are busy!! Cost me £75 quid, although due to some poor design on the adjustment lugs it did take them three hours!

If I was you I would google 4x4 wheel laser wheel alignment, make sure that they have down a Disco before and use them.

Re the waranty, I would take it up with the General Manager and expalin that you had told him to use the warranty in place and had assumed that's what he had done as they have already done warranty work for you. I would put all the owness on them. If no joy take it up with Land Rover customer service.

I must admit I would have double checked that he had got clearnace from the waranty. Sorry, not what you wanted to hear.

Good luck

Post #4357219th Mar 2009 6:39 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The non dealer would not be able to do the geometry set bfore doing the wheel alignment.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #4358639th Mar 2009 9:20 pm
NICKNICK

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

andrewb

Thanks for the post. My problem was that we were driving to the alps 7 days after car went in for service. Whilst you would have thought 7 days would be sufficient to sort the car and the warranty it wasn't.

As it was the car was returned at 6pm on the Thursday (12 hours prior to our departure), if I had waited for the warranty company to inspect the car would never have been ready......and all because the stealer did not notify the warranty company until mid day Tuesday rather than 4pm on the previous Friday.
 I used to hate 4x4's now I'm not so sure...  
Post #43614910th Mar 2009 12:36 pm
demo

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

could some one please tell me the procedure n changing the brake pads on my disco front and rear,just had a 400 pound quote.is it easy for a novice if i purchase the pads and fit my self thanks Sad

Post #43825214th Mar 2009 6:37 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Said to be EASY (not tried it myself...)

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic1511.html?highlight=front+pads
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #43825414th Mar 2009 6:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >