Help & Advice required Please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
aij615

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Help & Advice required Please

Hi All

Had a problem for a few weeks now with my Disco 3 TDV6

Went to start her about 2 weeks ago and nothing, the keybturned and there were lights as there should be on the dashboard but just made a attempt to start notice them cut out (initial thought was the immobiliser hadn’t turned off)

Tried few times, same thing. Got out the car and locked her and then unlocked again and got in and then repeated, she started up fine - hmmm strange

Weeks or so passed and this has happened 4 times now - sometimes now when she does start it’s like the starting sequence stalls half way through firing the engine up and I get a ‘E’ message go in the box where the gear box changes and I lose capability of low range gears change. If the ignition is turned off and repeated as above it cures it.

Also yesterday I was doing a brief run to local supermarket and I got the E Error message come on as she half stalled when starting up but as I was only do brief distance I left it - whilst sitting at traffic light and she was idling I did notice a fair bit of exhaust smoke from rear, considerably more than normal

Is this all connected - thoughts anyone

Post #19503003rd Jun 2018 7:18 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Earth points, loose battery terminals, failed battery, dry joint, connectors loose, many things but start with battery terminals and earth points.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #19503223rd Jun 2018 8:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
aij615

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Confused - any thoughts ?

Hi Guys

Few weeks ago I posted a thread where as I was having Discovery 3 start up issues. I would put the key in the ignition, wait for the flow plug light and self diagnostic test etc and then turn the key. Majority of the the time she would be sweet as a but however on occasions the engine would make like a clunk noise but not start.

I called the RAC out and they run their diagnostics. Seems the starter motor and alternator were great but did suggest I replace the battery as it was showing as replace. Battery was replaced however still did the same as above (good benefit I had of replacing the battery was that it cured the HDC feature was now available instead of being told for months that it wasn’t available)

Anyway so now back to square 1, I’m thinking it’s got to be the starter motor possibly seizing up. Booked her in at the garage and got a brand new starter motor supplied and fitted. All sorted so I thought until this morning, attempted to start her and she returned back to square 1, engine makes a clunk but don’t start. Few attempts and she fires up normally.

Could it be the immobiliser - question cam the battery in the key fob be replaced as I’m thinking if the battery in the key fob is due to be replaced then possibly not transmitting a strong signal to release the immobiliser ???? How do you get indie the key (Disco 3:

Post #196334914th Jul 2018 1:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >