Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Help - EPB not Holding, off on hols
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Help - EPB not Holding, off on hols

Been stripped an dcleaned by teh dealer yesterday and checked, nothing wrong with it.

However it won't hold. So it is either working with loads of take up slack which I haven't got the courage to find out on my driveway or it is something else Exclamation

Many thanks
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #39253524th Dec 2008 9:41 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ken

You have an Auto dont worry dont use it and sort it upon your return Thumbs Up

Post #39253924th Dec 2008 9:51 am
Alex08

Scotland 

Try activating it twice as a short term measure - 1st takes up cable slack, 2nd activates properly - I have to do that with mine from time to time.

Post #39254124th Dec 2008 9:56 am
SPOTTER

Spoken to LRA and a couple of dealers......

as Ken and Alex say, try it a couple of times and it shoudl be OK in Park anyway Exclamation

....and book it in again Rolling Eyes

Thanks a bit more comfiortable now that I won't do untold damage to my Auto gearbox Thumbs Up
Post #39254424th Dec 2008 10:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simonsi

New Zealand 

SPOTTER wrote:
Thanks a bit more comfiortable now that I won't do untold damage to my Auto gearbox Thumbs Up

Even so, try and park on level ground, the more strain there is on the park pin/pawl in the box the more strain there is on the mechanism when you come to move out of park with load on the pin/pawl...
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #39254724th Dec 2008 10:15 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

If you hold the lever up for a few seconds does it hold? mine will not hold if I just flick the switch up, I have to hold it on for a couple of seconds for it to secure the vehicle. Its been like that for ages.

Post #39257024th Dec 2008 10:46 am
SPOTTER

unfortunately not Gareth...........

oh well

Nevermind its Christmas and I can see the car from my desk today and it still looks the business Mr. Green

It'll get sorted in the new year
Post #39259924th Dec 2008 12:22 pm
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Maybe worth trying the bedding in procedure so the shoes have a good contact with the drums?

Parking Brake Shoes Bedding-In (70.40.12)
NOTE:
This procedure must be carried out if, new parking brake shoes are fitted, new rear brake discs are fitted or if the vehicle has been mud wading (not water) for more than 50 miles.

1. Carry out the parking brake shoe bedding-in procedure.

2. NOTE:
The electronic parking brake 'Service Bedding-in Procedure mode' will be active for the remainder of the igntion cycle, or until the vehicle speed exceeds 31 mph (50 kph). If the procedure needs to be re-entered, the entry actions must be repeated.

To enter 'Service Bedding-in Procedure' mode.
#
Start and run the engine.
#
Apply the footbrake 3 times within 10 seconds and hold applied after the 3rd application.
#
Apply the electronic parking brake switch 4 times, followed by 3 release applications within 10 seconds.

3. Once the Service Bedding-in procedure mode has been entered, the electronic parking brake linings can be bedded-in by conducting 10 repeated stops from 30 - 35 kph (19 - 22 mph), followed by a 500 metre (547 yard) interval between each stop to allow the brakes to cool, using the electronic parking brake control switch.
#
The electronic parking brake brake force will be increased up to the dynamic maximum so long as the switch is held in the applied position.
#
If the switch is released to either the NEUTRAL or OFF positions, the electronic parking brake will be released.
#
The electronic parking brake MUST be allowed to cool between applications, either by driving at 19 mph (30 kph) for 500 metres (547 yards) or remaining stationary for 1 minute between each application.
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #39263224th Dec 2008 1:33 pm
SPOTTER

didn't see this ridgeback but worth a try.

It is better now but I have been using the EPB to stop the car from rolling speeds and seems to be getting better. Holds on my drive now but still creaks.
Post #3985528th Jan 2009 10:35 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

In the rainy season in Swindon there's a lane full of slightly muddy puddles (technically it's the water table coming through) to navigate during my school run. I often get EPB creeps and groans and lopsided halting (car twists as it halts as if only one back wheel held) and occasionally screams a few of days after driving through these.

The first time this happened, the stealer fixed everything under warranty. It then recurred a couple of months later, and I tried the bedding in procedure to see if it would clear it. My first stop attempt required foot brake intervention as I ran out of road and the EPB was doing nothing! I carried out many cycles before they came back (less than 10 though, IIRC). This fixed them again for a long while.

Whenever even minor EPB issues start now, rather than waiting for them to get much worse and scream, I do either one or two cycles of the bedding in procedure and this fixes the EPB until the next time everything gets wet. I don't want too much wear on the shoes, so I don't do the full procedure, and just do cycles until it stops smartly - so far, I've never gone past two times to get full function back. Also, when I've been through the car wash, on my way home I do one cycle just before home and park up with the brake off - the idea being to warm the shoes and then let them breath when they dry. This may be overkill, but touch wood; no problems since.

I see in the procedure it says "...or if the vehicle has been mud wading (not water) for more than 50 miles.". What a hoot! I think it would be technically better written as "has been in slightly muddy water any time in the last 50 miles".
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #3985578th Jan 2009 11:17 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Stapldm, are you actually doing the bedding in procedure or just applying the EPB more times?
To complete the cycle, it does need to be done 10 times. Not sure it it only remembers the setting once it's completed the 10, or if it will remember the seting part way through?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #3985688th Jan 2009 11:43 am
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Bodsy, I thought the bedding in routine was just to bed the shoes into the drum, and not a learning process? The 10 cycles being what LR consider enough for the bedding in to complete (on new shoes), without overheating the drum/disks?
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #3985858th Jan 2009 12:42 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

It beds them in and as I understand it, it also sets the clutch position and tension point to optimum position. At the end of the 10 (IIRC) it bongs and tells you that the bedding in process is complete. I assume it then stores some values somewhere. It sounds like your having to do it far too regularly IMHO. I did the process once (well 1.9 times as I cocked up the first one!) and it's been fine. I regularly go through flooded muddy roads around here and don't get any other issue.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #3985998th Jan 2009 1:23 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

If you have lopsided halting (is that braking normally or braking with the EPB?), then it sounds as though you might have some other brake issue perhaps a stuck caliper piston?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #3986008th Jan 2009 1:26 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Delighted to see this thread!

I had devised my own bedding-in cycle having had the nice LRA man do one after an EPB lock-in. I didn't realise the hocus-pocus/magic spell part, though (3 footbrake presses then 4 EPB pulls first). I could have turned the D3 into a frog Big Cry or a Toyota Big Cry Big Cry with the wrong magic... Shocked

To be serious, even after a new RHS "activator" courtesy of Yeovil, the EPB still doesn't release fully on the right side sometimes. There is no noticeable friction (car is hand-pushable on level concrete floor) but a Bill-and-Ben type wheelbarrow squeak once per wheel rev - most demeaning in slow traffic Evil or Very Mad

With a "normal" handbrake, a judicious bit of waggling of the lever (or pedal pressing if the shoes were operated by the footbrake) would sort that out, but not with the EPB.

It occurred to me that there must be some forward strain on the shoes on invoking the auto-release function (forward power developed before the required (25%) throttle opening [is it REALLY 25%? - doesn't feel like it...] activates the release) and therefore some reverse strain on auto-release in reverse. So - a few judicious sub-3m.p.h.** applications in forwards then in reverse must shift the shoes on their seatings a (very?) small amount. The closest thing to electronic jiggling Shocked I could come up with. Seems to work on the squeak, anyway, so it must bed 'em in a bit. It does come back, though.

** Sub 3m.p.h. means the shoes apply and not the emergency vehicle arrest program kicking in...

Does this sound reasonable Question Embarassed
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #3986428th Jan 2009 2:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >