DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Help - I'm viewing my first D3 SE Tomorrow
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
KevinTDV6SE

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Help - I'm viewing my first D3 SE Tomorrow

Hello All

I need some advise from people who are in the know. I'm going to view a D3 SE tomorrow which i'm intending to buy should the viewing go well. What i want to know is a list of things i should check to make sure the D3 is worth buying and in good condition. Please help me Disco virgin.

I'm looking at a D3 TDV6 2.7 SE Deisel. 54 plate 2005 registered.
67K miles

Any help would be great

Post #53583417th Oct 2009 3:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Assuming you test drive it... make sure you do some slow driving over some bumps to see if you get bush or steering rack clunking. Try to do each wheel if you can too. ie, drive over a very low kurb.

Out of warranty a new rack is probably pricey. Anti Roll Bar (ARB) bushes are easy to fit yourself (not that I have personally).

If you can raise the wheels off the ground, check their is no play in the front wheels... too much could be track rod ends / ball joints. At 67K these suspension components would generally have been either replaced or would probably need replacing.

Check the speed of raising the suspension and keep an ear out for noisy compressor (air). Up and down 3 or 4 times should be OK. Last raise manoeuvre could say raising slowly on the Message Centre which is fairly normal. Any other errors or excessive noise from the air compressor could be expensive.

Obvious things like service history (dealer stamps in the service book) and excessive black smoke when putting your foot down. Get the seller to plant his foot while driving past or have someone follow and see what comes out the back.

The 54 plate (MY05) had a number of issues but should have been all sorted by warranty visits. ASK.

If you have a good dealer near by, ask them if they can look up the vehicle on their system, should list all service and warranty actions that have been done. Especially the Enhancement Program - fix to air compressor, new engine management software.

TBH, 67K is not that high a mileage (my 57 plate is already at 53K) and there are plenty of folk on the forum with much higher mileage.

As long as its been serviced correctly and the owner was good at getting any niggles fixed while it was in warranty, you should be fine.

At the end of the day, if it doesn't feel quite right, leave alone. There are plenty of used D3's out there to choose from.

Post #53583817th Oct 2009 4:00 pm
KevinTDV6SE

Thank you for the fast reply. I love the D3 after driving one in holiday and now I want one but a little worried about picking a bad one.

Any other pointers would be very welcome.

Post #53584317th Oct 2009 4:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

Being new to the Disco myself I can't give you any specifics. In general terms, get on the net and look at used car buying check lists. You'll probably have to combine a few to get one you want. I would never view a used car without a list, as you'll definitely forget to check things even if you're used to cars. For example, if I hadn't had a list, I'd have driven away from the LR MAIN DEALER (!) with:

- a rear (3rd row) seatbelt that would have failed MOT (POs dog had chewed it I think)
- A shredded door seal
- No cargo/load cover
 PAGODA  
Post #53585317th Oct 2009 4:53 pm
gilmore

England 

A few other things to check:
make sure the door seals that are on the car are not worn where the driver climbs in and out and rubs againt it. I had mine changed under warranty
Check the rear wiper spring isn't stiff so it doesn't track the curve of the glass properly.
check that the parking brake goes on and off without squeeling like a stuck pig. A gently whirring is OK though.

cheers
rob
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Land Rover Defender V8, 50th Anniversary Edition
Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5
Ford Transit Custom (for the bikes) 

Post #53591517th Oct 2009 7:03 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

If it's got more than one owner - call the previous one. details thanks to DVLA on the V5 Thumbs Up

They generally have nothing to win / loose and will tell you that they towed a 3 tonne trailer everyday without issue, and the rebuild after the multiple roll accident on the M6 seemed to have cured the rattle from behind the dash Thumbs Up
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #53591917th Oct 2009 7:11 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
Re: Help - I'm viewing my first D3 SE Tomorrow

kevintdvase wrote:
Hello All

I need some advise from people who are in the know. I'm going to view a D3 SE tomorrow which i'm intending to buy should the viewing go well. What i want to know is a list of things i should check to make sure the D3 is worth buying and in good condition. Please help me Disco virgin.

I'm looking at a D3 TDV6 2.7 SE Deisel. 54 plate 2005 registered.
67K miles

Any help would be great

where are you located. The UK is a big place (relativly) - might be able to come with you if you are around Bristol Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #53592617th Oct 2009 7:30 pm
KevinTDV6SE

Wow thankyou for your kind offer, but i'm in cambridgeshire. I've started making a check list based on the info you guys are providing me. I really hope its a good one! I can't believe the replys I've had.

Thank you again

Post #53593617th Oct 2009 7:47 pm
drmcw

United Kingdom 

Search the forum, lots of posts with similar questions and many answers!

e.g.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic31135.html?highlight=buy+check

Post #53596517th Oct 2009 9:01 pm
hgrimmett

2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Quote:
I'd have driven away from the LR MAIN DEALER (!) with...

Having last weekend replaced my wife's 325i touring with a Disco from a LR main dealer I can honestly say that the LR experience was a woeful 2nd best to the way the sales guy at BMW took us through all the pile of paperwork they had got together for the 3-series - HPi checks, mileage checks, service records. By comparison we were kicked out of the door with the keys thrown after us by the LR dealer. Anyhow, so far it seems like a good one, 400 miles nad no breakdown... my fingers are still tightly crossed!

Post #53602017th Oct 2009 10:17 pm
KevinTDV6SE

Well I went a saw the Disco or I should say my new Disco, I checked everything and all good! Also all warranty items been done. Just got to wait so he can remove his personal number plate.

Thank you all so much for your help and I look forward to being apart of this forum

Kev

Post #53641718th Oct 2009 8:27 pm
90BHP

Well done chap - get ready for the painful permagrin Mr. Green
Post #53642318th Oct 2009 8:32 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

congratulations Kev Thumbs Up

be aware that it could take upto 5 weeks before the V5 comes through with the Reg change.

the car may get re-registered in a week but the V5 can take a lot longer. I wouldnt hand over any cash until you see the new V5 - its also illegal for the owner to sell the car whilst the VRM is being changed until they are in receipt of the new V5.

I encountered exactly this problem when I sold my Defender recently.
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Last edited by DiscoDunc on 18th Oct 2009 8:35 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #53642518th Oct 2009 8:33 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up Good luck and well done with the purchase. Just be warned - there is one thing no one has mentioned yet about going to look at a D3...it's addictive...You are now so much closer to MTR's, roof racks, RAI's and signing up for Snowdonia or Yarwell... Laughing
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #53642618th Oct 2009 8:34 pm
90BHP

And you will need a Mantec - Did I mention I may have one for sale Whistle
Post #53644518th Oct 2009 8:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >