Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Help! Major System Failure!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

colinm wrote:
But this is quite irrelevant in the context of the UK. Even if the system will run up to 15.5v in Murmansk in January it certainly shouldn't be reaching anything like that in the UK so how can this have an impact on bulb life on a UK based vehicle?

The question should also be why is there a difference in bulbs, I have used non LR bulbs without a problem. It's not just bulb life, but even some working bulbs have caused an issue.

Post #35982414th Oct 2008 7:24 pm
colinm

England 

10forcash wrote:
Charge voltage gets to 15.5VDC waaaaay before -40
As to why.... well at a guess, cost, size and the relatively low self-discharge rate compared to AGM & wet cell

Cost perhaps - they are about twice the price of more conventional construction, though on this class of vehicle it shouldn't be a problem especially as the main competition is not penny-pinching in this area. As for the self-discharge I don't think so - self discharge rates of AGM are 1 to 3% per month and generally lower than other constructions. AGM also has lower internal resistance so give higher cranking currents size for size than calcium-lead wet batteries. They also tend to provide that cranking current for a larger fraction of their total capacity and have higher charging efficiency.

Post #35983314th Oct 2008 7:33 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

They have a lower cycle life though

Post #35983714th Oct 2008 7:34 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Colin ...I have the ultimate solution Thumbs Up

Buy a D3 ....and two spare stop'n tail bulbs Shocked

I thank you Bow down

Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #35983914th Oct 2008 7:36 pm
colinm

England 

Sorry - I think you are wrong there.

Post #35984314th Oct 2008 7:38 pm
countrywide

DG wrote:
Colin ...I have the ultimate solution Thumbs Up

Buy a D3 ....and two spare stop'n tail bulbs Shocked

I thank you Bow down

Wink

Genius, you have solved the problem and design issue's for £1.60 Rolling with laughter Bow down

Post #35984414th Oct 2008 7:39 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The D3 also sends a low(er) voltage pulse periodically through the lamps similar to a lamp fail module - although not an implemeted feature, with cheap (thinner filament) lamps this will cause tungsten shedding at a higher rate

TBH we can discuss this until I run out of beer / gin / vino collapso - but it won't change anything, just accept the D3 for what/how it is and enjoy it!

With a spare lamp kit in the boot Rolling Eyes

Post #35984614th Oct 2008 7:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
zaphod

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

10forcash wrote:

TBH we can discuss this until I run out of beer / gin / vino collapso - but it won't change anything, just accept the D3 for what/how it is and enjoy it! Rolling Eyes

Well said Thumbs Up

The LRA guy said it was the gap between the stop and tail filaments / leaders that were too close that caused the current to arc between them and send signals up the wrong wire.

Easy fix for 80p Thumbs Up
 Sail Fast - Live Slow...

.. / -.- -. --- .-- / .-- .... . .-. . / -- -.-- / - --- .-- . .-.. / .. ... 

Post #35984914th Oct 2008 7:46 pm
colinm

England 

Well, if all this is a consequence of deliberate design then I think buying the ability to run riot in Reykjavik bought at the expense of it going haywire in Hampshire its a bit of an odd design decision.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a great fan of British cars. Just for once I'd like to buy one with my heart AND my head. I was one of the few that persisted with XJ6s and XJ12s in the 70s and 80s when almost no-one touched them. It was hopeless because they never tackled the problems until Egan took charge and we finally got ignitions that ignited, transmissions that didn't throw converter vanes around like confetti, wipers that wiped, stalks that stalked and most important residuals that resided - all a bit late for a magnificent car because by that time BMW and MB had caught up on the ride etc.

Post #35985314th Oct 2008 7:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >