Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Help please P017 recall
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Hils

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Help please P017 recall

Hi all. I am in need of help ASAP please. I bought my 2005 disco 3 last april. Having hearing a bubbling noise and suffering brake failure whilst towing my caravan I searched on this forum and found that the noise could be because the car hadn't had the p017 recall. I contacted stratsone Stourbridge and they checked their system, it hadn't been done. I got it booked in as soon as possible and the work was done. When I collected it they commented that it had been the worst they had seen and we're shocked it had never been done before. However over the past couple of months I had been convinced that my brakes were not working as well as they should. I work at a place where my car can be serviced and after having it done last week the mechanic commented that my brake pedal was too low to the floor before it braked the car. I arranged to take the car to stratstone again for investigation where it is as I type this. I just had a call from a chap called John saying my brake booster has failed and I have oil in my vacuum pump and master cylinder and it all needs changing at my expense £1528.77 altogether. I asked him why it wasn't changed under the recall and he said it was OK then (5000 miles ago). .I'm finding it difficult to understand how they didn't replace a part that is mentioned in the recall...is this right.??

Post #16505735th May 2016 1:37 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

All these parts should have all been changed on the recall , as the mechanic said it was the worst he had seen. If oil has got into these in 5000 miles , the recall solution hasn't worked any way. Some forum members have had two servos replaced under this recall. Suggest you contact Liam at Land Rover Customer services if no joy with Stratstones PM http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/member-liam-landrover.html

Post #16505805th May 2016 1:52 pm
Hils

Thank you soo much. We are at the same conclusion. I have had my boss contact stratstone to discuss the problem (he is a mechanic also) and it does indeed sound like they didn't replace all the parts affected by the original fault. He has asked the mechanic to complete a workshop report of his findings and the guy (john) said he couldn't do that. I shall be going to collect my car shortly and will expect a report and will be contacting customer services. I am soo angry with them trying to bamboozle me with mechanical information. Thankfully forums like this and my employer are around to help.

Post #16505855th May 2016 2:21 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

If there was gurgling 5000 miles ago, then there would have been clear evidence of oil being present. They should have replaced the brake booster and possibly even the master cylinder if oil was in the brake fluid.

If you get hacked off with them messing around, then you can fit a new master cylinder for about £45 and a RRS supercharger/TDV8 brake booster. It will surely fix the problem once and for all. (Assuming they have also changed the visible Heath Robinson pipework that probably wasn't there before the recall.

But that solution aside, LR should replace the parts properly. If you don't get much luck, a quick call to customer service explaining the perilous situation you and your family were in would soon sort it.... Whistle
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #16506805th May 2016 6:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hils

Ok yesterday was pretty crazy.

So my boss spoke to stratstone yesterday and asked for a report and also asked if the car was there in bits for him to go and inspect what they had found, the guy told him that he couldn't inspect it as its was back together. I took the decision to go back to take my car away because something doesn't feel right. Anyway when we got there to talk to John he was busy for the first 15 minutes or so. Then when he came and I questioned everything that had been said. He told me repeatedly that they had done the recall correctly. I asked where my car was and he said it wasn't ready as it was back in the workshop. They had taken it back in to look again. My father asked to see the car and it was in bits in the entrance of the workshop. Second diagnosis is.. the brake booster hasn't failed and there is no oil in it, nor the master cylinder, in fact it's the vacuum pump that is broken (that's only £598 plus vat ) After much deliberation and telling him I was not told this before he apologised profusely and they are fitting the part FOC I do have to pay for the part though. However I have been told by my boss that he doesn't believe the vacuum pump is broken as when my car was serviced it operated the brake pedal as it should and my issues with the brakes are as described would be the problem if oil was in the system as in the recall. As it stands they should have ordered me a pump which won't arrive until Monday or Tuesday so I'm wondering anyone else's thoughts on this. I am calling LR customer services this afternoon.

Thanks in advance ☺

Post #16510386th May 2016 1:10 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Surely If the vacuum pump had failed you would have a hard high pedal , not a low one.

Post #16511736th May 2016 6:26 pm
Hils

See I have no clue but when I talked to stratstone they told me it's one thing then another and I'm being advised elsewhere that it's none of those things. I really can't afford to take it anywhere else as if it is p017 related they did the work so surely they should put it right. I've explained everything to customer services and I'm waiting for them to call me. Unfortunately it's probably going to be Monday when I hear back from them. I had a look online but I can't find anything other than the recall information regarding the issue I was experiencing, I definitely didn't have the pedal as you described. I really appreciate your input. ☺thank you

Post #16512576th May 2016 9:02 pm
DiscoJez

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I had exactly the problem you describe. Spent some time looking through the forum and noticed several people had the same symptoms and it all seemed to point back to a 2nd failure following a P017 recall. I Pm'd crc@landrover; a chap named Ryan answered and suggested that I contact my local dealer, asked me to let him know how I got on.

Spoke with Gordon Lamb in Chesterfield who arranged to get the car in and diagnose the issue, said they would speak to LR about a warranty claim if the issue was related to P017. At this point I let Ryan know and he said he would be in contact with the dealer and me when the car was with them.

The car went in on Monday, picked up the Evoque service car - Meh! Tuesday both the dealer and Ryan let me know that the issue had been reported to LR and they were waiting for a decision re the claim. Got a PM from Ryan and a call from the dealer this morning letting me know that LR had agreed to meet the cost of the claim with a 100% goodwill payment. Thumbs Up

Couldn't get the Evoque - Meh! Back to the dealer quick enough..... Picked up the car...... As good as new and a valet to boot.

My genuine thanks to crc@landrover and Gordon Lamb, couldn't ask for more Bow down

Well.... They could have loaned me something other than an Evoque - Meh!

Post #165353211th May 2016 9:08 pm
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Mine had to go back in 5 months after recall , the then changed everything for free , even sorted my binding calliper for free Thumbs Up and I must say were most helpful Thumbs Up that was carrs of Truro Thumbs Up
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #165358011th May 2016 10:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hils

HOORAY MY CAR IS HOME

I got my car back on Friday just gone (hurrah), they had it for 8 days in total and as a working mother with 4 children it was very inconvenient I can tell you.

So disappointed in John at Stratstones. I had been in touch with John again on the Wednesday to find out what was happening and he told me that they were still waiting on the part to be delivered from Land Rover and it was expected on Thursday morning. I asked which part, he said a brake booster, I queried this as he last told me it was a vacuum pump. I said the brake booster was done under the P017 and he said no that was a servo. He said no and its nothing to do with the P017 (hes repeatedly told me this) He then said it was a vacuum booster at which point I was totally baffled as i've not heard of one of those. Anyway I asked him to hang on a second to see if I could get him to explain it to my boss, he put the phone down!
My boss called him back and asked him an what was going on only to be told it was the vacuum pump and from how it was explained he concluded he had meant that vacuum pump although we still believed that it wasn't the problem. I contacted Sam at customer services to tell him of all this and he was going to call for an update and get back to me that day.

Thursday I called and left voicemail for Sam chasing an update, never heard off him at all. Then at 3.30 I get a call from Zoe at Stratstones and my part hadn't arrived in time for them to do it that day and they would call in the morning to let me know when it would be ready.

Friday morning I called Sam and again straight to voicemail so called back and spoke to a lovely lady who told me Sam wasn't in until Saturday and that she would make sure he called me. I was unsure whether to collect the car because as far as I was concerned they were still changing a part that we weren't convinced was broken but as we were on day 8 and I needed it my dad took me over, with my mom as she had the money I needed to pay for it. 598+VAT Crying or Very sad

So when I arrived I was greeted by a lovely man called Keiron. He handed me my keys and Vehicle Health Check printout. Said there you go all done. Me and my folks stood there thinking why aren't they asking for money before they give me keys. My dad said could I test drive it before we all left and that's what I did.
All good brakes perfectly.....but what have they done to it. We sat down with Keiron and he briefly showed me a video of the underside of my car and he apologised as he hadn't been dealing with it he wasn't exactly sure what had happened, strangely John didn't want to spend long around us, only asked Keiron if he had emailed me the report.

They've replaced the brake booster and some other bits that I daren't even ask about, its all been done under the warranty and there is no charge!

Why did that take 8 days....because of John? I have no idea. I've got my car, I will never ever return to that garage, not least because it takes nearly an hour to get to but someone is incompetent in my opinion.

Censored

Post #165540116th May 2016 10:35 am
Hils

Couldn't get the Evoque - Meh! Back to the dealer quick enough..... Picked up the car...... As good as new and a valet to boot.

My genuine thanks to crc@landrover and Gordon Lamb, couldn't ask for more Bow down

Well.... They could have loaned me something other than an Evoque - Meh![/quote]

Laughing I didn't get a courtesy car and they didn't valet it Big Cry

Post #165540316th May 2016 10:45 am
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Very Happy Glad you got it sorted out and FOC Thumbs Up It certainly seems that 'someone' in the garage was covering their tracks and trying to bamboozle the customer `that doesn't happen often eh? Rolling Eyes

Good result though, well done for sticking at it 8)

Post #165540416th May 2016 10:47 am
Hils

Thank you Very Happy Thumbs Up , I'm well chuffed with the fact its cost nothing, just annoyed with the time I had to spend making calls and stressing and of course the inconvenience of being without my lovely Disco Confused

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #165541216th May 2016 11:01 am
Bburkie10

Ive had a similar problems with my recall. P017 was carried out in January but 2 months later my brakes were staying on and the brake pedal would return very slowly but would stop about 1/4" from its normal height. When driving, it would stay in gear and not change up until about 4,500 revs (brakes holding it back) but would change fine in the command shift mode manually. This would occasionally trigger christmas tree lights, car lowering and transmission fault. Pulling over and restarting the car would cure these problems.
I phoned LR to enquire if there were any further recalls to do with this and was told no (i read on here there may have been a recall on the recall). After following advice, i bit the bullet and booked it in with LR and agreed to pay the investigation fee which would not be charged if it was an issue relating to the P017 recall.
After a week, i had a phone call to say.........oil in the brake servo!
Its been referred to LR Customer Services now who have agreed to fund the work and I'm getting several new parts (servo, booster etc)as well as a much needed loan car!

This recall has been around a few years now but it seems strange they still haven't bottomed out the issue. Has anyone had any problems after LR have had a second go at rectifying the problem?

Post #165661618th May 2016 6:46 pm
Hils

OMG please no, not a third time. I've not seen anything about further issues from a 2nd repair. Fingers crossed Bow down Glad you're getting it sorted.

Post #165736320th May 2016 7:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >