Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Help with my very poorly D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
T3nn3nt

England 
Help with my very poorly D4

Firstly i am a new member of Disco4 so hello everyone.

I am hoping that someone can help shed some light on my D4!!

It seems to have a lot of faults that are appearing since it had a service at the end of January, the car was serviced and a week later we had the coolant level light come on (but has required amount) this pops up randomly and then we got performance restricted, we also get normal ride hide only while driving and now our fuel gauge isn't working and is showing empty.
(and last night we experienced what seems to be a misfire every couple of seconds while driving that feels like the car holds back for a second)

Since the coolant level warning we had a battery die because of the cold weather so this was replaced.

The garage are saying they think these are all individual faults and that we may need to start fixing them all, can our luck be that bad that we have had 4/5 faults appear at the same time or is it ECU etc related?

Please let me know if anyone has any bright ideas as to what it might be.

Thanks

Post #19322401st Apr 2018 8:06 am
Down&Dirty

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Welcome

Just a thought you say you had a new battery, but has the alternator been checked?

As I said Just a thought Thumbs Up
 MY24 Defender 90 X-Dynamic HSE
MY18 Disco 5 HSE Santorini Black Now Gone. 

Post #19322451st Apr 2018 8:18 am
T3nn3nt

England 

I'm not sure if its been checked, is there a way i can check it? the battery went flat at Christmas and then lasted until the next cold snap that was mid to late Feb so i assumed the alternator was ok especially as the car does a lot of short journeys (school runs etc) but i will check or get it checked. thanks

Post #19322481st Apr 2018 8:26 am
Hot Tub

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Sooner rather than later as if alternator faulty can take new battery with it. Measure the voltage across the battery without engine running then with engine running. Then post your results on here so we can advise further.

Post #19322531st Apr 2018 8:31 am
T3nn3nt

England 

Right so I went to go and get a multimeter from work and when I left I got about half a mile down the road and the car cut out with a battery sign coming up it managed to start again, I didn’t want to risk it so I spun around to head home and it cut out a further two times.
I am unable to get a multimeter until later now but this backs up your thoughts of an alternator issue (but I am not a mechanic) I will post results of the battery reading later.

Thanks

Post #19323081st Apr 2018 10:26 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Also did the garage that replaced the battery, tell the car that a new battery was fitted. It does sound like you have a failing alternator.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #19323171st Apr 2018 10:39 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
T3nn3nt

England 

No they didn’t because I replaced the battery myself although I did explain to them that I have only had these issues since the battery was changed and that I changed it myself.
Since this they have checked that I haven’t dislodged anything.

Post #19323351st Apr 2018 11:29 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Why was the battery changed? It could have been it was a symptom of dying alternator, and now it's taking out your new battery. Confused

Post #19323381st Apr 2018 11:36 am
T3nn3nt

England 

Because it died in the cold but this was the 3rd time it had died, but it wouldn’t start off jump leads so I replaced the battery.

Post #19323431st Apr 2018 11:50 am
Redline

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

I had the battery replaced a few weeks ago and the battery monitoring system was not reset. That resulted in all kind of problems ending up with lots of electronics failing, resetting and the car not starting. This apparently is common after a battery change without doing this reset.
Borrowed some diagnostics equipment and did the reset and cleared all the codes.
The car has behaved so far but the alternator voltage is still higher than it should be. Might still have a dodgy alternator.
I would suggest you get the BMS reset, clear any codes and then see what remains.
 Current : Discovery 4 HSE (2012 spec)
Current : BMW Z4 20i MSport
Current : BWM Z4 3.0SI Sport Auto
Previous : Freelander 2 HSE 

Post #19323531st Apr 2018 12:29 pm
T3nn3nt

England 

That sounds exactly like the issues i am having! i will get onto the garage first thing on Tuesday and ask them to plug in and have a look.

My battery readings are:

car off: 12.36
running: 14.77
(i hope this means something to you guys) Confused

Thanks

Post #19323581st Apr 2018 12:43 pm
Redline

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

12.36V is low for a new and fully charged battery. That shows a battery that is more than 25% discharged.
Should be above 12.6V. But, I guess you’ve been playing around a while and will have discharged it some.

That’s still plenty to crank the car though.

Most suggest that charging voltage should be 13.6-14.6V
Of course the accuracy of the meter may cause a small misread.
My D4 is running at 14.6-14.8V though.
I’ve just found that the voltage o/p on mine is dropping when loaded with more than 110A which suggests the alternator is struggling (both front & rear screens on 60+A and 25A on top of the static 35A on running). The alternator should be good for 150A. That might have caused the original battery failure so having sorted one problem it has unmasked the original fault again.
When it was cold the voltage simply wasn’t getting up because the screens come on automatically before the alternator can start working.

The quiescent current drops to 27-30mA when everything shuts down. Right where it’s supposed to be.
So, the BMS reset is a must. You won’t get anywhere on diagnostics until that’s been done.
A DC current clamp that does 10mA resolution to 200A is useful. Mine is 1mA but only to 100A. Access to the +12V cables and the battery Earth is very restricted though.
 Current : Discovery 4 HSE (2012 spec)
Current : BMW Z4 20i MSport
Current : BWM Z4 3.0SI Sport Auto
Previous : Freelander 2 HSE 

Post #19324021st Apr 2018 3:35 pm
VVS210

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Can't add anything to the battery/alternator comments but the coolant warning is one I am familiar with & after a bit of searching on the forum beleive it is a porous float giving erroneous warnings. Solution is to replace the coolant reservoir - I am ordering mine as soon as Duckworths are open on Tuesday! Coolant level warning comes on after 'spirited' use of the accelerator or heavy braking Confused
 D4 - Stornoway Grey
D2 V8 - Zambesi Silver (rust free JDM import 😎)
FL2 - Sd4 HSE
110 Td5 DCPU - Bonatti Grey - sold
FL2 Td4 - Zambesi Silver - sold
D2 Td5 - Epsom Green - sold
F1 Td4 - Giverney Green - sold
90 300 Tdi - White – sold BIG mistake should have kept it!
F1 Td4 - written off by a taxi!
D1 300 Tdi - written off by a Fiesta...
D1 200 Tdi - sold
90 Turbo Diesel - sold
Ser 2a SWB - sold and glad I 'got rid'
Ser 2 SWB - sold but wish I still had it! 

Post #19324991st Apr 2018 9:04 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

If the fuel gauge isn’t working and the car thinks it’s out of fuel it will electronically introduce a misfire and cut out every mile. It will allow you to restart, then cut out again after the next mile. It does this to protect the high pressure pump before you run out of fuel.

The usual problem with the gauge is the wiring in the fuel tank. Search the forum there is plenty on this. The connectors need cutting off and joiner or soldering direct on the wires inside the tank.

Fix the fuel gauge, then see what else you are left with.

The coolant issue will need a new coolant reservoir which contains the float. This won’t affect any of you other symptoms.

Regards
Steve

Post #19325482nd Apr 2018 7:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CUCO

Spain 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

My battery was changed a few weeks ago, only thing I observed just after changing it was that the voltage maintained was a bit high (14,7v) but it get steadily lower to normal interval of voltage after about 150 miles. Mine usually tops at 14,5 just after crank and gradually falls till about 13,6 (or less) after a long motorway run. Then jumps between both values whenever I brake and accelerate (intelligent charging system usual behaviour).

I observed that the voltages are lower when the ambient temp go up.

Now all perfect, jumping like it used to. No reset of BMS at all.

(The original battery lasted till now with this "jumps", so very happy with the endurance of the system)

Post #19326512nd Apr 2018 2:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >