Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Help with the type of coaxial cable at the back of the stere
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Goldeneye

England 
Help with the type of coaxial cable at the back of the stere

There is a very thin coaxial cable with a flak connection on the end . The garage has told me to find out what the wire is as it's not standard cable. It needs to be made longer and new inline connectors and the end replaced has it has fallen off. I have photos of this can anyone help please.

It's on my RANGE ROVER SPORT 2006. SO SORRY FOR NOT SAYING THIS AT FIRST. Thankyou very much for all of your time. I know I'm on the landrover site but most of you all try and help me out. As I'm disabled with a spinal cord injury and now been diagnosed with thoat cancer. It's down to the people on this site that me and my family have been able to keep my Range rover sport on the road. I was told in rehabilitation that it takes a brave man to take the first step when he needs help. But a fool not to ask for help. I know now I need lots of help and assistance, but I have my wife and children, family and friends. Then most of all the landrover DISCOVERY club. Thankyou very much for all of my family. It means so much to you all. As going in the Ambulance's to treatment's and appointments gets me down. Going in my RANGE ROVER SPORT. IS THE BEST FEELING EVER. I'm not getting nervous about falling I'll and not coming home.
A very big thankyou to you all? Bow down Rolling with laughter Bow down Thumbs Up

Last edited by Goldeneye on 28th Oct 2020 9:55 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #218289627th Oct 2020 8:53 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi,

You post this RRS item in the Discovery 3 forum...

Not a big problem but for RRS specific issues in the future maybe ..... well Wink

The connector looks like the inside of a FAKRA connector...used in LR for both radio antenna, GPS and TMC connection...

Depending on the MY year of your motor ( if you fill in your profile the model and MY year you have, we can help better) it is possible to say how the cables are running... (after MY 2009 it differs from earlyer ones) although i think you have an earlyer one?
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #218290327th Oct 2020 9:14 pm
Goldeneye

England 
Coaxial wire

Thankyou very much for all of your response.

Post #218298128th Oct 2020 9:44 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

regarding what you PM 'ed me: "The garage has told me that thay need 3 fittings. A straight connection,one male and one female. Then the wire needs to be made longer with a fakra connection on this."

i think you are maybe helped with this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antenna-Cable-3...4902.l9144
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Last edited by Motolab on 28th Oct 2020 11:26 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #218299128th Oct 2020 10:48 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

It's a FAKRA connector that has lost its coloured housing at some point, unless the cable or the connector internals is damaged then the connector will still work ok, they are a tight push fit. I think the housing would have been black.

To extend it you will need a FAKRA male to female extension cable, safest to get "Z" coded connectors (turquoise colour) which will fit any other colour socket.

How long an extension cable do you need?

As an example, here's a 1m extension: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Connects2-CT27A...3965599527
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #218299628th Oct 2020 11:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Goldeneye

England 
Coaxial wire

Thankyou very much for your reply. But the end has come completely off. That's because it was to short. The garage say that thay have to make the coax cable longer, and fit inline connector and a longer coaxial cable then fit a connection to the stereo. Thay need the know the type of coaxial cable that's fitted to my stereo to get the parts. Thankyou very much Martin.

Post #218299728th Oct 2020 11:28 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

That cable is actually an extension, coming from under the right hand side of the centre console (gear shift surround and panel).

So if the centre console is removed, a new extension cable plugged in at that point would mean a cut/repair wouldn't be needed at the head unit end - but it does need more dismantling of the trim.

If they need the actual CABLE spec, the type code should/might be printed on the cable itself.

If not, measure the diameter of the cable. RG58 is approx 5mm diameter, RG174 approx 3mm diameter.

Post #218299828th Oct 2020 11:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Goldeneye

England 
Help

Thankyou very much Martin. Thay say that thay don't know the cable size or the type, the RG number. That's what thay need. Thankyou very much for all of your services today.[/quote]

Post #218300228th Oct 2020 12:09 pm
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

It’s worth checking at your dealer as the co-ax cable I replaced from console to head unit cost £9 and took about an hour to replace. The cable was a Leoni Dacar branded cable which I looked at getting made until I found out how cheap it was to get from a dealer (unusual for JLR).
 012MY RRS 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography (Current)
Mods:
TPMS (Complete but got an issue)
Genuine LR DRLs (Complete)
Remote Boot close from key fob (Complete)
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2 (Complete)
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (Now 2016 L319)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE (Complete)
2014 LR4 Homelink (Complete)
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass (Complete) 

Post #218305328th Oct 2020 4:40 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

Just to add that Goldeneye has reported back it is 3mm coax so RG174 type (for future reference)

Post #218321429th Oct 2020 10:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >