Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Hidden winch - hawse fitment help please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Mr Andrew

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Hidden winch - hawse fitment help please

Advice please, maybe from hidden winchers like CFB or ChrisTyler, but happy to get help from anybody! I am fitting a Rasta hidden winch with synethic rope, so it has an aluminium hawse. I want it to look like Chris's, see below:

My question: the holes in the front of the winch tray are about 1-2 inches behind the haswe when the hawse is mounted flush to the front of the bumber like ChrisT's. So how have you guys managed to bridge the gap in a way that is strong enough to tolerate side loads on the hawse? I thought about using threaded rod with bolts in the appropraite place, but it will either put too much reliance/load on the plastic bumper, or just fold up...

My B plan was to space it out with a second hawse I happen to have (so one hawse directly on the winch tray, the next one bolted in front of it), but it would still need a another 1/4inch between the two to get the desirable flush finish.

Any comments/advice gratefully received.

Post #48478821st Jun 2009 1:34 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Tried and failed with that approach so mine is now fitted onto the bumper rather than flushed in, the bumper flexes under side loads but stands up to it just fine.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #48479021st Jun 2009 1:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
marcon

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I got spacers with 14mm holes made up for mine and they make it very strong,threaded bar will bend and damage your bumper.I am nearly sure this is what Chris Tyler did too(I got advice from him when I was fitting mine).Just measure distance from tray to hawse and get spacers made to suit.

Post #48479121st Jun 2009 1:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LR3GuyJoe

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

I used washers to space mine out the distance I wanted then when I got the right spacing I wanted I welded the washers all together.
 Sceen name use to be "wantsanlr3"

Club Traxide
Club RLD winch mount
Club MTRs

-MY05 SE
-A frankenstein Mini '66 sportspack with a vauxhall lump
-'64 AH Sprite

Post #48479421st Jun 2009 1:52 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

square tube over threaded rod with a steel washer behind the ally hawse on mine, doesn't prevent flexing totally though,
if I were going to use a winch regularly then I would go the LR pukka route I think.
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #48486821st Jun 2009 6:49 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

My winch gets used most weekends for recovery work at the 4x4 site, I have had no issues with the Hawse fitted to the bumper at all. Ideally you should always winch with a straight pull anyway so any unavoidable side loads are short lived.

The LR kit is probably more substantial but at an additional £800+ over this setup it isn't worth it IMO
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #48488221st Jun 2009 7:25 pm
marcon

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just get an engineering firm to make two spacers around 30 mm diameter or slightly bigger if you can get away with it,get them to drill 14mm holes in the spacers and ideally weld them to winch tray around existing holes which ideally would be 14mm.Instead of threaded bar(useless) use properly sized bolts with heads that will fit into holes in your hawse that will still allow you to use a socket on bolt head in recess of hawse and screw them into holes on winch tray.when hawse tightens back into spacers this prevents any movement.You would have to be doing some serious winching(an oil tanker maybe)to budge this system IMHO.

Tried and tested on my D3 and I am sure this is what Chris Tyler has done as well. Thumbs Up

Post #48492121st Jun 2009 8:42 pm
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I made my spacers using some 30mm solid ally i had thats all there is to it.

what ever you do dont use thredded rod and washers, its just not strong enough.

its best to use ally if you using an ally fairlead.
 CLUB "Ah Shor it'll be grand"

First D3 in the World with a Hydraulic Winch.
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S Auto,
Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.
Other toys include, Argo Avenger 8x8, Tatra 6x6 Motorhome (Being Built) 

Post #48498521st Jun 2009 11:11 pm
Mr Andrew

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. Reminds me why I love this forum! Question - seeing how the Queen is into Defenders at the castle, she's probably missed the forum... so can we decide to knight our forum head of state? Lord Martin sounds quite catchy

Post #48499421st Jun 2009 11:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >