Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

hidden winch mount q's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
xcentric

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
hidden winch mount q's

1. can you reach the clutch to allow it free-spool release, or do you wind it out under power?
2. are there quick-release clips for the front number plate, or do people screw them on and off?
3. does the number plate fit over the fairlead? if so, is the fairlead flush, and if its not, how is the plate mounted - padded out at the fixings, I suppose?
4. do people remove the hook, and if not where does it attach with the numberplate in place?
5. views on wire versus synthetic cable? occasional use only..... tending to synthetic for lower weight, easier to handle, slightly safer in use

[edit]
6. anyone any experience with the portable winches e.g. http://www.electricwinchshop.co.uk/winches...synth.html
I can see it has a lower load so may need doubling with a snatch block, but for occasional use it may be better than a large lump at the front of the car?
[/edit]

[edit again]
7. what size winch fits behind there? would a Superwinch EPi 9.0 Series fit (one on eBay)
[/edit]

Post #15871094th Jan 2016 3:16 pm
geoffsnook

Wales 

Hi i am in the middle of doing mine got the winch in place and i had to take out freespool handle to make it fit so will be cut and a shorter handle will be put on
The winch will be flush with the bumper outer edge
There are quick release options available for the number plate and it will be slightly stepped away from the bumper to clear fair lead/rope
The hook stays on and will be attached to the front tow eye
I bought a synthetic winch of ebay 13000lb rating for less than the price of the removable one when ebay sent me a 15% voucher Very Happy did not need a expensive winch to start as i dont go off road massivly just now and again
Hope this helps

Discovery 3 se gone
Range rover sport supercharged here:) 

Post #15871244th Jan 2016 3:54 pm
sailorboi

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

What winches do people suggest to use then? Thumbs Up
 07 Java Black TD V6 D3, EGRs Blanked, Tow bar, Full dog guard & divider, LED Spots , DRLs, GG ATs, RLD Sump guard, RLD Spare Wheel Protector, D4 LED Rear Lights, Limo tints on boot and Midnight tint on rear windows, Kenwood screen with Garmin nav, Rear cameras, D4 Steering wheel with flappy paddles, T-max split charge system, Tree sliders, Prospeed roof rack & Ladder, Alisport fast road inter cooler,

Massey Ferguson 35x
Sankey Narrow Track Camping Trailer (Gone but to a great home) 

Post #15871274th Jan 2016 4:00 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

I did 3 of these on my D3's (see my gallery) could always reach the free spool but not sure how it fits on the D4. I used a cheapo winch the first time but had to modify the free spool lever, then updated to a Superwinch EP9 9500lbs on latter jobs and found it perfect for the job.

Some winches do have an option for a compressed air operated free-spool but never went that far due to cost etc. Also, I moved the solenoid pack high up on the later ones I did to the spare battery box as it keeps it dry, deffo use synthetic rope as you cant see the drum very well so wire may bunch up and get damaged.

Only issue I had was getting a secure solid mount for the fairlead/hawse as I found the winch mount itself sat back from the bumper so the hawse needed spacing out but then that caused it to lose stability, ok for straight pulls but the bumper flexed a bit if pulling at an angle.

Post #15871444th Jan 2016 4:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Depending on whos winch mount your using ...RLD 'S has to be spaced away from the intercooler on the D4

freespool ...you can loosen the end cap on the winch and rotate it so it lines up better

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic82851.h...N+%2BWINCH
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #15873664th Jan 2016 9:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >