DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

HPFP Noise Clarification
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Nickbys

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
HPFP Noise Clarification

Hi,
Could really do with some advice on a noisy euro 3 hpfp on my 2006 disco 3.
convinced my pump is responsible for a blade slapping type noise at low rpm and high fuel pressures,
I've listened to my mates 2009 RR sport pump with a stethoscope and it makes little if any sound above engine noise where as mine is twice as loud, tinny and almost jingles.
His is obviously a euro 4 pump and so I'm a little hesitant to make a direct comparison, so I'm looking for anyone who has experience with listening to a euro 3 to advise on how much and what type of noise they create.
TIA
Nick

Post #188968112th Dec 2017 10:45 pm
Nickbys

I Have some live data from my iid, it seems the problem could be visible in the graphs but need a guru to decipher it for me if possible.
the fuel pressure and control valve seem erratic in comparison to the smooth throttle position line and the mass air flow looks low to me at various times that i experience the noise and vibration.
during these times the car feels like it's pulsating almost, i'll copy in and paste some of my other posts that describe the problem in more detail.
should also note I've fitted a new delphi fuel filter and this possibly made the problem worse Neutral the big yellow and blue lines were crossed from LR main dealer service last time round, I rectified them on new filter. one of the leak off pipes came off and p Censored d all over the engine the same day i changed the filter, cleaned everything down with brake cleaner but may have some kind of small manifold/egr/crossover or boost leak visible in the R/H engine bay immediately after driving. not visible sitting on idle. (very very fine white smoke almost like steam)
The low pressure pump draws the 14v supplied by the alternator and 4.5 amps of current on tick-over at engine full working temp, haven't checked from cold and I'm also waiting on a pressure gauge to check the pump supply pressures.
These screen grabs have come from a 20min long data log not sure how to post tbh

Thanks for your time
Nick

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Nickbys on 19th Dec 2017 5:11 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #189203519th Dec 2017 4:50 pm
Nickbys

Click image to enlarge

Post #189203719th Dec 2017 4:55 pm
WW88

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I can’t help you but I’d be very interested in the outcome. I have the euro 4, but the dealer I purchased the car from replaced the hpfp under warranty and I’m convinced it came back sounding noisier. Part of me feels they stuck a faulty/used pump on to get rid of the limp mode it kept going into which related to the hpfp.

Mine makes sort of a tappy clicky noise mainly under part throttle 1500-2500 rpm, changing fuel makes a difference (normal to v power) so I’m convinced it’s the fuel pump.

I’ve been told it sounds normal, so I could be wrong but will be interesting to see what you find with yours.

Post #189210519th Dec 2017 7:12 pm
Nickbys

So the Lp pump is drawing 4.5amps and has 5.5psi on ignition and sits at 5.5psi on start Start up without hardly any pressure drop on Revs. This leads me to believe the LP pump isn’t the culprit, gonna investigate whether or not I have a boost/exhaust leak or if the smoke I saw was just the remnants of the diesel being burnt off from around the Manifold area out of sight. Tbh I’m not convinced the air leak would cause the symptoms I have at a specific Rev Range and under near labouring engine conditions, appreciate your thoughts Thumbs Up Rolling Eyes

Post #189244620th Dec 2017 2:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >