Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Hydrosilex Ceramic Coating
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Littletamcroft

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4
Hydrosilex Ceramic Coating

At outset, I have no link to this company!

Popped up on Facebook initially, and I am always dubious of that but researched by other means and decided to buy a bottle of this stuff - via Hydrosilex.uk but came via Rotterdam!

So, instructions are simple - lightly spray on (everything) and wipe on with a fibre cloth. Rub over with another fibre cloth to remove any excess (none seen!)

Immediate enhancement to shine and depth on my Yulong white Landmark.

Covered 300 miles during first week on rural roads which had been sanded and salted - quick pressure wash and returned to gleaming with no contact wiping etc - even on inner edge of arches which were caked with muck.

Then on holiday for a week and living 2 miles up a farm track. Covered approx 500 miles on motorway, rural roads and aforementioned farm track in terrible weather. Car absolutely filthy. When home a quick snow foam followed by pressure wash and again no contact and clean as a whistle!

Fab stuff well worth the £36 cost. 500ml bottle has done all of the Disco and my wife's Mini Clubman and only about 1/3 of bottle used. Highly recommended and will repost after a few more months - effect said to last approx 6 months.

Cheers guys and festive greetings!
 2016 D4 landmark in Yulong White
Previously 2012 D4 HSE in Stornoway Grey & 2000 Freelander 3dr 

Post #201222523rd Dec 2018 9:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I bought a bottle of this too, just to see what it was like. Never got round to it Embarassed
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #201223123rd Dec 2018 9:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
andy526rt

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

That's interesting - I've seen this pop up on my facebook too.... tempted, but I've got a garage full of cleaning kit to use!

did you have much prep to do before using it? do you need to apply it to a washed / clayed / polished car?

Post #201225123rd Dec 2018 10:35 pm
Littletamcroft

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

My vehicle just needed a good wash pre application as I tend to keep it well polished in any case, and I too have a shed load of cleaning and maintenance products! The online guidance recommends an in depth prep but I took the chance and still working well for me. Our roads around here have been sanded/salted a lot over recent weeks so you do not have to travel far for the car to look dirty - short trip today and hosed off when I came back with all the muck just washing away without even taking the pressure washer out!

Happy happy still for now!
 2016 D4 landmark in Yulong White
Previously 2012 D4 HSE in Stornoway Grey & 2000 Freelander 3dr 

Post #20144091st Jan 2019 11:30 pm
RRSHST

United Kingdom 

👍

Post #201785712th Jan 2019 1:30 pm
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Bought!!!
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #201786512th Jan 2019 2:26 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Pics aren't loading for some reason Wink
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #201788512th Jan 2019 3:49 pm
rewillia

United States 2016 LR4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteLR4

As Littletamcroft refers to above,

The real "work" in applying ceramic coating comes in the form of proper paint preparation, i.e. buffing the entire painted finish to remove any/all prior surface scratches, including those discreet thin lines from rubbing against the paint, towel drying, etc. and then proper clay-barring the buffed surface to rid it of any contaminants. Ideally, ceramic coating should be applied when a vehicle is new or as close to as possible but of course that is not always possible particularly if the car has been pre-owned.

Properly preparing the surface to be coated is particularly why commercial shops that offer ceramic coating applications charge so much for it owing to the labor intensity of the paint preparation (if its going to be done the right way!). Once the paint finish is properly prepared the actual application of all ceramic coatings is basically the same and as simple as implied, i.e. wipe on, wipe off.

If not properly prepared prior to the application, the end result is a near permanent sealing of any existing scratches or contaminants of which will continue to visibly reveal themselves after the application of the ceramic coating.

I too am planning to having my LR4 coated and have recently obtained bids/estimates from a number of high-line professional paint shops known for their work...all of which have competitively price out at between USD$ 1,000 to as much as $1,500 for my 2016 Fuji White LR4. (and those prices do not include any additional paint work to fix any chips or deep scratches of which I have a couple of.).

Post #201959917th Jan 2019 11:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >