DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Do I have AFS or not?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
kathk

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Do I have AFS or not?

Hey guys,

my China Spec D4 has the AFS symbol light up in the dash together with all the other check lights when I start the engine. But the headlights don't level or move. Seems like we don't have a lot of features a HSE should have.

Will the AFS symbol light up if I don't have AFS fitted? How can I check if the headlights are AFS? The headlamp has AFS written on it.
Might be just an easy setting with a faultmate or so. (We also don't have DRL as standard)

Some pics of my headlights:
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Thanks for the help.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 2012 D4 SDV6 HSE - Heavy Duty, Alpine Roof, Sidesteps, modded LR RAI, Stebel Nautilus, Trailer hitch cargo carrier - Best Car I've ever owned
2013 Mercedes GL500 - Iridium Silver - The Missus' car <- new A/C right after purchase, new motor mounts after 40k km. No problems with the Disco whatsoever. Very Happy 

Post #114942229th Aug 2013 7:11 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

The D4 ones do not move any where near as much as the D3 ones did. Park the car close to a wall in the dark, turn the lights on and start the car and watch for a small movment in the lights, I did not think they were fitted to mine at first but they are.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #114943229th Aug 2013 7:41 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I think the car has to be moving and not in reverse for the AFS lights to activate, have you got cornering lights ?

Post #114950229th Aug 2013 10:39 am
kathk

Just checked in the garage at work. The light kinda twitches when I turn on the car. It's almost not noticeable (I could make it twitch more by wiggling my butt in the seat).
The Range Rover forums says something about the lights moving up and down and in and out. Which is kinda what the AFS in our previous Lexus did. I have also never noticed the light swiveling when driving down the parking ramp.

Gonna make a video tomorrow, how much should the headlights swivel?
 2012 D4 SDV6 HSE - Heavy Duty, Alpine Roof, Sidesteps, modded LR RAI, Stebel Nautilus, Trailer hitch cargo carrier - Best Car I've ever owned
2013 Mercedes GL500 - Iridium Silver - The Missus' car <- new A/C right after purchase, new motor mounts after 40k km. No problems with the Disco whatsoever. Very Happy 

Post #114954929th Aug 2013 12:44 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I have it and it works fine when you are moving ...the difference between the D4 and D3 is on the D3 you could make them move by turning the wheel while stationary Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #114957529th Aug 2013 1:49 pm
kathk

Just checked the lights. When the car starts the lights will move a few degrees to the middle and then pop right back into a straight position. Just takes a second or so.
Shouldn't they be sweeping left and right and then back straight? How much are they supposed to move? Could they be stuck?

I have also never noticed the lights moving when I'm driving in a parking garage, only the cornering lights will turn on.

Post #115047631st Aug 2013 2:25 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

How did you check the lights ?

The amount of swivel id dependant on how fast you are going and how sharp the corner is ...have a read of this:

DG wrote:
The D3 units used to move when you turned the wheel while stationery ...the D4 ones appear to be far more controlled in relation to speed and steering angle Thumbs Up

EDIT here's some more info Thumbs Up

Quote:
AFS Control Module

The AFS control module is connected to the high speed CAN bus and receives inputs from other vehicle systems on the status of the following parameters:

Steering angle - from steering angle sensor
Vehicle speed - from ABS module
Low beam status - from IC
Suspension height - from air suspension control module
Odometer value - for diagnostics only
Engine running - from ECM
Gear position - From transmission control module or transfer box control module
Engine crank - from ECM
Exterior/interior temperature - for diagnostics only.
The AFS will only operate when the AFS control module receives an engine running signal on the CAN bus. When the engine running signal is received, the AFS control module performs an initialization routine which is only performed at engine crank (power mode 9).

The AFS will also function when the lighting control switch is in the AUTO position and the AFS control module receives a lights on signal from the rain/light sensor and an engine running signal.

The AFS control module then monitors the inputs from the other vehicle systems to control the AFS functionality according to cornering angles and vehicle speed.

The AFS control module is connected to each headlamp on a private Local Interconnect Network (LIN) bus. The AFS control module then drives the DC motor actuators inside the headlamp assembly.

The AFS control module controls the swiveling angle of each projector module using speed and steering angle signals. The angles of each projector module differ to give the correct spread of light, For example, when turning left, the left projector module will have a greater swiveling angle than the right projector module

Reverse mode disables the swivel function when reverse gear is selected. The AFS projector modules move to their central straight ahead position and the static bending lamp, if active, will go off. When reverse gear is deselected, the AFS projector modules will move to a position to match the steering angle and the static bending lamp will illuminate if the operating conditions are correct (for example vehicle speed above 1.86 mph (3 km/h).

Quote:
The static bending lamps operate with a steering angle sensor signal which is received by the AFS control module. The AFS control module sends a static bending lamp on request to the CJB which activates the static bending lamp bulb.

The static bending lamp operation is variable with the speed of the vehicle and the steering wheel angle. The static bending lamps illuminate at 0 mph (0 km/h) when the steering wheel rotation reaches 20 degrees. At 43 mph (70 km/h) the static bending lamps will illuminate when the steering wheel angle reaches 10 degrees. The static bending lamps will be switched off when the vehicle speed exceeds 43 mph (70 km/h).

The operation of the static bending lamps is controlled by the AFS control module. When the operation parameters of the lamp are reached, the CJB fades the static bending lamp bulb on using a PWM voltage over a period of approximately 2 seconds. When the lamp is switched off, the CJB fades the bulb off by decreasing the PWM voltage.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 31st Aug 2013 2:50 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #115048131st Aug 2013 2:38 pm
kathk

Stood in front of the car and SWMBO turned the engine on Smile

The lights are set to auto so they turn on with the ignition.

Post #115048431st Aug 2013 2:47 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Being stationary won't tell you a lot tbh ...have a read of what I have added to the post above Thumbs Up
Post #115048531st Aug 2013 2:57 pm
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I also think if you have "cornering lamps" you have AFS

Post #115048631st Aug 2013 2:59 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

That's right Peter Thumbs Up I think mrgoodkat is worried that they aren't working properly but thats difficult to determine when stationary Smile
Post #115049031st Aug 2013 3:05 pm
kathk

@DG: I take it from your post that the lights will only swivel at higher speeds and that the cornering lamps are used at lower speeds? Shouldn't I still be able to see the initialization routine when I start the engine. Maybe it is working correctly, I'm just used from Lexus and Mercedes that the light moves around quite a lot at start up. How much are the bulbs supposed to swivel when I start up the engine?

I would just ask the dealer about it, but they also told me it would be impossible to activate DRL or Voice recognition., so I don't really trust them.

Post #115050031st Aug 2013 3:42 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

The D4 lights don't swivel on startup like the D3 ...it's no longer part of the initialisation Thumbs Up
Post #115050231st Aug 2013 4:01 pm
motolite

Australia 

our MY13 D4 does exactly the same on start-up. moves a few degrees then centres. I have a round-about just after starting off and the corner lamps come on but the lights don't swivel, unlike my previous car a volvo that would swivel at low speed.

Post #115064831st Aug 2013 10:26 pm
phl

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

My MY13 certainly swivels at startup, and I can definitely see it swivel when driving around roundabouts. It's certainly more pronounced at higher speeds.

Post #11508141st Sep 2013 12:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >