Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

I claim the muppetry award
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
al cope

England 
I claim the muppetry award

So - front brake discs and brake shake................

I've had it before on the D3, and its was down to some non OEM discs - cured once genuine fitted.

So when I brought the D4 I noticed this had some strange braking "characteristics", one being a sort of pulsing of the brakes when coming to a stop, and the other being some brake shake when braking gently at speeds (stopped if braknig hard), and it looked like it hadnt long had new front discs fitted before I brought it, so thought maybe poor quality fitted, so stick some new discs and pads on methinks. But, I broke my own advice and didnt fit OEM, (I brought Delphi) and yes, 4000 miles on, front brake shake back again big time, which is why I'm claiming the muppet award this week.

Theres no vibe/shake when not braking, so I dont think its down to worn bushes, rod ends, etc.

Some OEM discs from the stealers, and try again.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #126071728th Mar 2014 8:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GLYNNE

England 

Confused Don't beat yourself up Whistle this all sounds very familiar to my old 2011 Landmark which had 3 sets of discs and pads all in its first 10K miles when I decided to get rid of it. It was all OEM as it was all done under warranty at the dealers. I never did get to the bottom of it, but they blamed the stormers with LTZ's which I had on at that time although it did it with the landmark alloys first time round.

My latest 2012 doesn't seem to suffer it Rolling Eyes touch wood Laughing

Post #126073628th Mar 2014 8:31 pm
disco_steve

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

You might notice the pads have a hairline crack in the middle Whistle

Have used Delphi, never again, tried Mintex, never again, either Ferodo, or LR only for me Thumbs Up

Cheaper brake pads = false economy Rolling Eyes
 Never get mad - get even !!

06 D3 now gone to family member and still going strong at 265k

previous vehicles:
04 D2 TD5 - (clocked 189k from new)
52 X-Trail 2.2 SVE
various euro boxes ! 

Post #126073928th Mar 2014 8:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
al cope

England 

So - one set of new discs and pads fitted this morning (and in case you were wondering, the genuine LR ones are Brembo, as this is stamped into the casting). A quick outing and seems much smoother (but it did with the Delphi ones I've just taken off), so lets see once bedded in and a few thousand miles later.

fingers crossed

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #126115329th Mar 2014 1:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >