Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

I'm entitled to my opinion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
NoDo$h

Ukraine 
I'm entitled to my opinion

How often do we see that, when someone is simply doubling down on their view irrespective of clear evidence that challenges or downright disproves their position?

Click image to enlarge

Quote:
FALLACY TIME: I’M ENTITLED TO MY OPINION
DEFINITION AND EXPLANATION: It is true that everyone is (legally) entitled to their opinion. However, “I’m entitled to my opinion,” is often used to shield an unsupported position. And being entitled to your opinion doesn’t mean you’re right, or that anyone needs to take your opinion seriously.
There are several problems with this fallacy.
1. An opinion doesn’t mean what they think it means. Opinions are subjective judgements or viewpoints. When someone claims they are “entitled to their opinion,” it’s often because they are trying to shield factually incorrect assertions.
2. All opinions aren’t equal. Expert opinions are interpretations of evidence based on years of study and experience, and are significantly more robust and reliable than non-expert opinions. “I’m entitled to my opinion” suggests that their opinion is just as good as anyone else’s.
3. We should all be open to changing our minds if the evidence suggests we should. “I’m entitled to my opinion” is essentially an admission that they can’t justify their position… but yet they’re unwilling to entertain contradictory evidence or other points of view.
In the face of facts that contradict a belief, especially one central to our identity or values, we use motivated reasoning to reduce the cognitive dissonance that arises when reality and our beliefs are in conflict. When that fails, our Get Out of Jail Free Card is to defend the belief by rendering it unfalsifiable and therefore immune to evidence. We move the goalposts. Discount sources or deny evidence. Proclaim that it’s our opinion.
It’s important to remember that the purpose of arguing isn’t to be right, it’s to get it right. “I’m entitled to my opinion” shuts down any further disagreement. They simply don’t want to be wrong.
HOW TO COUNTER: I tell my students on the first day of class that they are not entitled to their opinions. (At least not in class!) They are only entitled to what they can support with evidence.
It’s a bit trickier in the “real world.” Remember that people are often unfamiliar with the basics of critical thinking, so they may not be used to having to support their positions with evidence. Consider explaining why “I’m entitled to my opinion” is fallacious, and the benefits of healthy disagreement. The best approach is probably to ask them why they hold this particular opinion, and why they think they’re “entitled” to it.

LEARN MORE ABOUT THIS AND OTHER FALLACIES: https://thinkingispower.com/logical-fallac...my-opinion
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #231938519th Dec 2022 1:25 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

"Yes you are and I'm entitled to show how your opinion is simply incorrect" Thumbs Up

It's similar to the the classic "I find that offensive" and I refer people to Stephen Fry's rebuttal of that position:

Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #231938919th Dec 2022 1:49 pm
SENC

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

I'm offended by your opinion. 🤣

Post #231939819th Dec 2022 3:23 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Rolling Eyes Stop whining Laughing
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #231940019th Dec 2022 3:36 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

SENC wrote:
I'm offended by your opinion. 🤣

So f'ing what?! Rolling with laughter
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #231940319th Dec 2022 3:48 pm
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I work for a very large American corporation, and get sent Censored like this every day.

My Opinion of it always involves ignoring it and just applying a good bit of old fashioned common sense.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #231940419th Dec 2022 3:52 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I'm confused. You get sent emails pointing out that an opinion is not greater than fact? And your response is to offer more opinion?

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury.......
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #231940519th Dec 2022 3:57 pm
SENC

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

https://giphy.com/gifs/triggered-3ohhwNxuGh3gnyGG7S

Post #231940619th Dec 2022 3:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >