Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Africa

In need of a piston
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Danny de Vries

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
In need of a piston

I am hoping there is some out there who can help. Here is my sad story. On a recent trip to the mountains of Swazi, the water outlet on my TDV6 broke in halve. I made a repair on the side of the mountain stripping my gas taoster for wire. [there is no loose wire laying around in Swaziland]During the repair I lost a HSS bit. We maded it to the border thanks to water tanks of trailer. We slept the night, next morning with some help we mended the outlet unit. On starting and running for a while it started to knock. Had the vechile towed back to Joburg. I have stripped it and found my lost HSS bit in cylinder no one, with two snapped valves and damaged head and piston, Had head repaired, new valves and some rockers, Ran vechile with old piston but had a tapping sound anyway stripped it down again and found that the original damaged had squashed the ring in the piston and then ceased the rings. The dealer assured me I could buy a piston, rings and bearings, but later said that they only sell complete sub assembly, R48000.00.I have already spent R53000.00 so far including towing [replaced injectors on bosch advice] so a sub assembly is a no no. That is my problem can someone assist with spares or point me in the right direction. Bow down
Regards
Danny

Post #99650131st Oct 2012 1:47 pm
The Large One

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

sorry Danny
as many discussions about this before the spare parts for the internals of the motor are not available
 TLO has left the building.......
I no longer work for a Landrover Dealer

My little chilli sauce business http://www.thechillees.co.uk
if you would like to order anything just give me a shout 

Post #99655131st Oct 2012 3:19 pm
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Danny you done allot of work, was the work done with the engine in situ?Lost me there what water outlet broke and how and what's a HSS bit and how did it endup in the cylinder?pm send with contact details of Peter Street he might be able to help.
 A few mods... and keeping it all running...Faultmate MSV2
MY09EGR's blanked Thanks Bellautos, BAS 

Post #99676931st Oct 2012 9:37 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Is it not possible to source a new piston and rings from one of the many online piston manufacturers ?

Post #9969221st Nov 2012 11:38 am
Discoeast

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I think the only option would be a second hand used one, I know that Peter Street and George know of of some damaged engines , so there should be a good used one to be had. But take it complete with conrod and big end bearings.
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #9972632nd Nov 2012 10:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Danny de Vries

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Just a update on my piston hunt. I got hold of Peter Street whom put me on to City Deep Auto, but they have a complete motor for sale. Andre of Liemers land rover put my on to a chap who may have a piston I will know on Monday. In the meantime I have re machined my old piston [ the vechile did run with it] so if push comes to shove I will try source some rings and bearings and put the old piston back. I have a chap of the name of Richard in Walkerville looking for rings for me and Andre is trying for bearings . Thanks so far for the help.
Danny

Post #9976503rd Nov 2012 6:05 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >